Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 11:03   #1

Boat: Bavaria 31 Sport
Mantus Anchor or Rocna ?

Hi there! I'm planning on changing my Delta anchor by a Mantus or Rocna model so that I can at least sleep relaxed when anchoring this season in the Spanish Mediterranean.

The Rocna model is well known and I think should work, but I've seen recently some good comparison tests where the Mantus really beats the Rocna and all other models. Obviously, these tests were performed by the Mantus manufacturer but even so the results on the tests on youtube were overwhelming and showed the Mantus as the best anchor.

Has anybody used the Mantus?

Thanks for your feedback !
Madagascar 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Mantus anchor or Rocna ?

I have a Rocna that I am quite happy with but just bought a larger Mantus. Haven't got it wet yet but should work just fine.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:34   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Either anchor will be a good choice.

I have a Rocna 20kg 44lbs and it works great.

I also have a New Mantus that I purchased in the testers program on this forum, but also have not got it wet yet. Will be using the Mantus 44 lbs this season for testing and feedback.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:05   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Hey we go again.... I love anchor discussions!

You might want to look here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oll-92960.html

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:15   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Hey we go again.... I love anchor discussions!

You might want to look here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oll-92960.html
See what you started. I bet you had no idea that anchor poll would be so popular
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:42   #6

Boat: Bavaria 31 Sport
Talking Re: Mantus anchor or Rocna ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
See what you started. I bet you had no idea that anchor poll would be so popular
haha, Cotemar I saw a similar anchor war on the Spanish version of this Forum and it scrolls down 20 pages.. :-D But I wanted to know the opinion of people from overseas as in terms of safety at sea and the use of new anchor models you guys are way ahead..

Jeremiason, thks for the link
Madagascar 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:50   #7

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I'll be buying a Mantus. Their price is great and it looks like a quality modern anchor. I also like that I can unbolt the pieces and stow it below on passages if I chose to.
Old 13-11-2013, 21:49   #8

Boat: San Juan 7.7 26 feet

In 33 years of crusing PNW waters I've had many, many set/holding problems and sleepless nights initially with a Danforth 13 followed by a no better Fortress FX-11 - especially, in weed and/or big wind/tide shifts. Three years now on a Rocna 6Kg - ZERO PROBLEMS - including a 23 day circumnavigation of Vancouver Island this summer. Forget the hype buy a Rocna. Sleep easy.
Hugh Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 23:30   #9
cruiser

Buy the Ultra anchor. You're in Spain where you'll find the price of the Ultra to be comparable to the other two you mentioned. The Ultra will do better in the Med weed and grass since there's no roll bar to clog up with weed, plus it's made from stainless steel. The Ultra is much cheaper in the EU than here in America. Contact the Spanish distributor Baitra directly if interested.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 07:54   #10

Love my Rocna (44Kg) on my 47ft Selene (65000lb). Has NEVER let me down in quite a few hundred anchor nights. I think that all the talk about anchors often does not cover the most important considerations. First, size it right for the vessel. Second, put down enough scope. We usually lay down 7x of all chain, and if we think there is room and a blow coming we go to 10x scope. If you do not have all chain rode then length is even more important. The dragging anchors that we have seen first hand (other boats!!) could all be explained by inadequacy in one or both of the above!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 08:02   #11

I just purchased a mantus. Whichever you buy. You will sleep much better
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 18:14   #12

Well....if you don't mind may I offer my thoughts? Im a researcher. I'm one that needs to dig deep on info to get piece of mind. I was THIS close to purchasing the new Manson Boss. I read something that changed my mind.

I've decided to go with an 88lb Rocna instead. I have a 25 ton power boat with a ton of windage. While sitting in a high wind out in the 1000 islands one morning having a coffee on deck, before my eyes my SS CQR let go after holding for 2.5 days in various current and winds! All I could think is "good thing I was awake"!!!

It was enough for me to rethink what I had as an anchor. Ill be honest...I fell in love with the huge size and look of the Boss and figured it would be the end of the story. I figured its design would have greatly changed from the Supreme. I found out that it retains the same technology of welding layers of metal together along the edges rather then one solid piece of metal. Call me nuts but that just doesn't sit well with me. The Rocna offers lifetime warranty on their anchor...even if just bent! They obviously have no worries since they use one piece solid metal. I've seen images of a Supreme with a bent tip and galvanized portions rusting. Maybe you all can help me? You have images of a Rocna bent and rusting?

Soooo....I've decided to up size a Rocna to the 88lb for my boat in galvanized. I'm gonna keep my SS CQR for show off on my rollers....but my primary anchor will be the Rocna. Its a simple shackle change. Thoughts?

I'll let you know how it goes! My outlook is positive.
EighthWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 18:20   #13

Good choice. The only question is will the rocna fit your pulpit ? Even manson says. The supreme is better then the boss. It is just.a matter of.fit
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 18:46   #14

Here's hoping!
Actually...my rollers are right at the end of my pulpit and rails set well back. Can't figure out how to post an image of it here...but I'm sure it'll work!
EighthWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 19:43   #15

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Good choice. The only question is will the rocna fit your pulpit ? Even manson says. The supreme is better then the boss. It is just.a matter of.fit
What data says the supreme is better than the boss? I have seen very little comparative testing of the boss so far.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Mantus, rocna, mantus