Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2017, 09:09   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds
Re: Mantus Anchor Swivel Break

IMHO whatever the swivel i dont think you give it a fair chance unless you put 3-4 links of chain between the shank of the anchor and the swivel. this eliminates chances of a side pull on the swivel which might result in breaking it.
Old 26-04-2017, 09:09   #17

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I made the title specifically misleading It worked!

We have a Mantus swivel that we have been using for about a year now. We have been anchored since October, with no time spend in a marina. So far, we have no issues with the swivel except that its really important to use several separate seizing wires lengths instead of one big one. We used two separate ones when we first installed it and one broke, maybe it got caught on something. We switched to using four individual lengths and we examine it carefully after we bring it up. I would think that a better solution would be a bolt that runs through where it can sit flush with the swivel casing.
The Mantus Swivel installation instructions say to use 2 loops of safety wire.

Maybe give Mantus support a heads up on adding a total of 4 loops of safety wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mantus Swivel.jpg
Views:	1471
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	146293  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 09:10   #18
Marine Service Provider

How about showing a shackle or another swivel that is endorsed by Lloyd's?
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 09:14   #19

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Even Kongs, considered by many to be the best, have been reported to break.

The swivel is likely to be the weak link in your ground tackle. I like the looks of the Mantus one though.
I had a Kong on my 26-footer with 1/4 chain which bent enough that at some point it surely would have broken. Too susceptible to side loads.

On my 37, with 5/16 chain, I have the smallest Mantus. After one summer on the Inside Passage it still seems an excellent design. I do plan to re-do the seizing wire before this years cruise. Per the advice of someone on this forum, I used a very sturdy heavier gauge wire than what came with the swivel, but it seems like cheap insurance to re-do it.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 09:15   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Yeah, it certainly wouldn't fit through my bow roller, so my curiosity is strictly of the idle kind.

But I don't need a swivel at all since switching back to Spade from Rocna. The Spade is ballasted and really well balanced, and comes up the right way around. My previous 121 pound Rocna was balanced to come up backwards, and was not usable without a swivel. On my boat anyway. YMMV.
Absolutely correct. This is very common. Usually with the Spade Anchor a swivel is not needed. I only recommend the Wasi Swivel to Spade owners, if they are worried about having a shackle as weak point on the rode and want to eliminate it.
Old 26-04-2017, 09:17   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have discovered that with any forward boat motion at all my Rocna orientates its self backwards, swivel or not, however with any reverse motion it flips itself back around correctly.
So now instead of standing on the bow and spinning the thing around with a boat hook, I raise it from the cockpit with a kt or so of reverse and forego the boat hook
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 09:27   #22

Boat: Liberty 458

I have a Wasi and Mantus unused. Looking to replace our traditional swivel with the mantus or wasi before our next outing.

I need to sit down and crunch the numbers before deciding.

The wasi is a well engineered and manufactured piece of kit, with a Lloyds cert. But that long lever arm is a concern without a short length of chain between it and the anchor.

The Mantus has some neat design options including the oblong encapsulated load bearing pin and the large diameter axial swivel. The shackle to alleviate the bending load is also a plus.

What I don't like about the Mantus is their stainless shackle. It has a forging offset at one of the pin ends. There are no material or swl etchings on this shackle. For those of us used to dealing with lifting gear this a red flag.

I recently purchased some thicker lock wire specifically for this application. That needs to be inspected after each retrieval.

So does anyone have any documented failures and pictures of the failed components, Wasi or Mantus? Or links to failures?

I like the suggestion to reverse while the Rocna is still in the water to orient it for the roller. Will have to try that.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 09:31   #23

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
NO.

The Wasi Swivel is far stronger than any shackle on the market. One of the major reasons of having a robust swivel is to eliminate all shackles on your rode. This swivel allows for you to concentrate your maintenance on the chain, not the shackle.
Appreciate the response but... used one time and noticed swivel twisted up not inline with chain and anchor.. not a spade anchor though.. worried about it failing when twisted like this.. twisted meaning not straight,, buckled in a way
Old 26-04-2017, 09:33   #24

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
Appreciate the response but... used one time and noticed swivel twisted up not inline with chain and anchor.. not a spade anchor though.. worried about it failing when twisted like this.. twisted meaning not straight,, buckled in a way
Any permanent deformation on the swivel?
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 09:42   #25

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Anyone besides me ever use Spectra to mouse a shackle shut, along with wire? And any multi-strand wire users out there?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 09:46   #26

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Any permanent deformation on the swivel?
None whatsoever and thanks for a great product, but concerned it will be the weak point in the system if it happens again unless the chain on both ends takes that out of the equation..
Old 26-04-2017, 10:07   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
. . . I only recommend the Wasi Swivel to Spade owners, if they are worried about having a shackle as weak point on the rode and want to eliminate it.
So use a swivel for STRENGTH, rather than to swivel? That seems bizarre. What do you base this recommendation on? I'm genuinely curious. If you're right, then that overturns 50 years of conventional wisdom. It would be interesting to see the data.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 10:07   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
None whatsoever and thanks for a great product, but concerned it will be the weak point in the system if it happens again unless the chain on both ends takes that out of the equation..
ANy pictures available? Just curious.
Old 26-04-2017, 10:15   #29

I use all mantus ground tackle including the swivel, no issues what so ever.
I thought perhaps this thread titled " Mantus Anchor swivel breaks would have more user date about "Mantus" as usual, anything "anchor" has turned into a Spade advertisement.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 10:27   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
So use a swivel for STRENGTH, rather than to swivel? That seems bizarre. What do you base this recommendation on? I'm genuinely curious. If you're right, then that overturns 50 years of conventional wisdom. It would be interesting to see the data.
Based on the Wasi Swivel is rated at least 2000 lbs higher (breaking/tensile strength) than any chain you can attach to it. I am not aware of any shackle on the market that can do that.

Tags
anchor, Mantus