Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2017, 10:28   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: Mantus Anchor Swivel Break

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
I use all mantus ground tackle including the swivel, no issues what so ever.
I thought perhaps this thread titled " Mantus Anchor swivel breaks would have more user date about "Mantus" as usual, anything "anchor" has turned into a Spade advertisement.
Sorry you feel that way. I was asked questions directly on a forum that is an open discussion forum. Kinda felt the need to respond.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 10:41   #32

I looked into this a few years ago and went with a Ultra swivel. Here's why:

The "new age" swivels do not share the design or engineering weaknesses of the ones that having been breaking for decades. Swivels have gotten better.

Conversely, galvanized shackles have gotten WORSE in the era of cheap asian imports. I've had several West Marine shackles break for no good reason and now only buy US made Crosby shackles to have some confidence. A 7/16" Crosby 209 has a 1 ton rating with a 1:6 safety ratio (12,000lbs). The harder to find 209A "High Test" is 2.6 ton (31,000lb) 7/16" is the "up one size" from the chain size that many recommend for 3/8" chain. The Ultra 13 swivel that I use with 3/8" chain is rated at 38,000 lb breaking strength.

The modern swivels (Mantus, Wasi, Ultra) are all designed to deal with sideways pull. This is not a difficult engineering problem if you make it part of your design. None of them rely on a simple bolt to hold the thing together. They don't loosen.

And finally - they don't rust like shackles.

I just wish they cost a bit less.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 11:03   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
Based on the Wasi Swivel is rated at least 2000 lbs higher (breaking/tensile strength) than any chain you can attach to it. I am not aware of any shackle on the market that can do that.
I just don't know about that. According to your website, the biggest Powerball which would fit my setup with 12mm chain, the 10/13mm model, has SWL of 1600 kg and BL of 6400 kg, far less than G40 chain (about 2000 and 8000), much less high test G70. And far less than the Wichard HR 12mm shackle, at 3600kg SWL and 10 000 kg BL.

But in any case, the straight line strength is not the issue -- it's SIDE LOADS which have broken Kongs and which are of concern with swivels. You have quite a lever arm there, which will magnify the loads in a side loading situation, the PowerBall much more than other swivels.

Kong publishes ratings for their swivels in side loading conditions -- typically 1/3 of the straight pull rating. The 12mm model (the one I used to have and use with my old Rocna) is rated at 3000 kg SWL and 9500 BL in a straight pull, and 3000 kg BL in a side pull.

On the basis of the data I was able to google up just now, it's really hard for me to see a case for using a swivel for the sake of strength. If you need the swiveling, of course, then that's a different matter.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 11:15   #34

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't think I could break my Mantus swivel, reason is the way its constructed, you just about can't get a side load on the thing.
The next weak link is the pin, which on the Mantus is oblong to give the most possible area.
If it has a downside, It may be that it may not fit through some rollers, its not a small thing.

On edit, who was it that said, give me a long enough lever and a fulcrum and I'll move the world?
Archimedes

We have a fairly new Mantus swivel on our Vulcan. We have used it several times in the Puget Sound area, and we are now starting our trip up the Inside Passage to SE Alaska, so we should get a feel shortly how its working and holding up. So far, no issues what so ever. If any are interested, I'll chime in again when in cell/wifi range with an update.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 11:26   #35
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

As A64 pointed out, so long as you are not motoring forward (VERY common mistake), any modern anchor will come up right-way. Ballasting has nothing to do with which way it twists. Proper alignment between the anchor and the windlass is everything.

I haven't had a swivel for years and don't have the need. The anchor comes up right 98% of the time, and I'm pretty sure the swivel would reduce that figure substantially. If it does come up backwards, all I do is lower it while backing, and it spins right-way. So easy.
Old 26-04-2017, 11:28   #36

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

There have been quite a number of cases where the swivel fails. It's caused by fitting the swivel directly to the anchor (wrong) and when side load is applied voila, broken swivel.

There should always be a few (3-4) links of chain BETWEEN the anchor and swivel, to ensure it can't get side loading when the boat swings around the anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor_swivel_broken.jpg
Views:	2747
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	146300   Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor_swivel_correct.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	146301  

Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor_swivel_wrong.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	146302  
Old 26-04-2017, 12:47   #37

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

For those wanting to use a shackle: High Strength Shackles | Titan Marine Products .

They're rated higher than G4 chain, which is what most of us use. G4 or G43. The 10mm has a working load of 2 tonne, and a breaking load of 10 tonne. The 8mm: 1250kg and 6500kg. The pin on the 8mm has a 10mm diameter, and the pin on the 10mm has an 11mm diameter. (For our friends in the USA (8mm=5/16, 10mm=3/8, 10 tonne=22,000lbs)

I prefer swivels, or at least I always have. But we're going to try the shackle mentioned above, on the new boat for a while, and see how it goes. If we go for a swivel, we'll go with the ultra swivel, uas13. Rated at 17500kg (38000 lbs) breaking strength (fits 10-12mm chain) it ought to do the job. Ultra Anchors

The Ultra swivel turns the anchor at the roller, so it always comes up right side up.

Horses for courses gentlemen.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 14:02   #38

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
I don't think I could break my Mantus swivel, reason is the way its constructed, you just about can't get a side load on the thing.
The next weak link is the pin, which on the Mantus is oblong to give the most possible area.
If it has a downside, It may be that it may not fit through some rollers, its not a small thing.

On edit, who was it that said, give me a long enough lever and a fulcrum and I'll move the world?
I don't like the stainless construction (why can't they make it out of galvanized steel?) but I can live with that. What bothers me most is the stainless shackle, which has a lower working load than the best galvanized shackles of the same size.

Quote:
Usually with the Spade Anchor a swivel is not needed.
I love our spade anchor but when there is any current, or when we are moving forward my Spade anchor wants to turn the wrong way and face with the pointy end toward the current, usually 180 degrees from where I need it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
There have been quite a number of cases where the swivel fails. It's caused by fitting the swivel directly to the anchor (wrong) and when side load is applied voila, broken swivel.

There should always be a few (3-4) links of chain BETWEEN the anchor and swivel, to ensure it can't get side loading when the boat swings around the anchor.
This thread is supposed to be specifically about mantus swivels. These cases you mention are well documented poor swivel designs.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 14:34   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I feel pretty sure my Rocna spins so that it presents the least drag in the water, which is of course pointy end into the flow.
When I got the Mantus swivel I didn't use the supplied safety wire, I have a roll of aircraft .041 safety wire that I felt better about. I have had no problem with the wire yet, but if I remember right, you can't take the thing apart without first removing the shackle, so even if the wire broke allowing the barrel to unscrew it won't come apart?
I'm away from the boat now and can't look.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 14:41   #40

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you guys are really that concerned about strength, or corrosion resistance, just go to a titanium shackle. Then you'll have to find something else to worry about. Period.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 14:47   #41

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
I feel pretty sure my Rocna spins so that it presents the least drag in the water, which is of course pointy end into the flow.
When I got the Mantus swivel I didn't use the supplied safety wire, I have a roll of aircraft .041 safety wire that I felt better about. I have had no problem with the wire yet, but if I remember right, you can't take the thing apart without first removing the shackle, so even if the wire broke allowing the barrel to unscrew it won't come apart?
I'm away from the boat now and can't look.
If the barrel unscrews, the swivel will come apart. When we were at the boat show, they recommended wrapping the threads with pipe tape before screwing it on. I suppose using loctite tape would work as well.

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/indus...=8797952147457
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 15:02   #42

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Even Kongs, considered by many to be the best, have been reported to break.

The swivel is likely to be the weak link in your ground tackle. I like the looks of the Mantus one though.
That's why I added "recent".
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 15:23   #43

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Anyone besides me ever use Spectra to mouse a shackle shut, along with wire? And any multi-strand wire users out there?
I have. I'll do a wire and some spectra as a safety in case the wire fails. The spectra is stronger and doesn't corrode. The knot is the untrustworthy part, but I use it as a backup anyway. My splicing skills are nowhere near good enough to turn it into a tiny soft shackle, which is really what it wants to be.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 16:09   #44

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

I'm thinking of getting the Mantus swivel to go with my new rocna anchor.
Instead of safety wire would a long cotter pin be better?
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 17:51   #45

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
ANy pictures available? Just curious.
Sorry, not one pic.. came up with windlass and i had to get some slack in chain before it got to the roller end or wouldn't clear.. imagine part my fault after dropping anchor maybe let out too much too fast. if i can get it in that position again i get you a photo.. thanx

Tags
anchor, Mantus