Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2014, 05:35   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 390 - Second Wind
Question Mantus anchor tip touches the hull

In recently bought a Mantus 45lbs for my sailboat, a Beneteau Oceanis 390 and last Saturday after the installation I noticed that while deploying it the tip of the anchor touches the hull. While the test was conducted in the marina slip, I am worried that this type of anchor will do more harm to the hull once out of the marina while deploying and retrieving maneuvers. Have any of you experienced a similar situation? Any ideas on how to prevent this without having to sell / replace the anchor? Thanks
LionFRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 05:38   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Mantus anchor tip touches the hull

A bigger bow roller can gain a bit of clearance.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 06:13   #3

Boat: 2004 Beneteau 473
Send a message via Yahoo to Knucklehead
Mantus anchor tip touches the hull

What a number of boaters do, once anchor is at the surface and has a lot of the sticky mud on it, they will drag it while under power. This will increase the possibility of dinging the hull. Otherwise, hose it off. Having had both a 461 Oceanis and a 473, I banged the anchor once against the hull. Lesson was learned. I should have mentioned my anchor weight and type, Rocna, 40 kg. damn great anchor!
Old 17-03-2014, 06:26   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

We have just fitted a larger main anchor ( a 45lb Delta) on our beneteau Oceanis 36 CC and may have a similar problem. I have rigged a small bow fender around the hull under the raised anchor which presses into it and helps prevent it moving around too much at sea, but I suspect there might be an occasional ding caused when raising the anchor especially in any 'chop'. I have thought I might try sticking on apiece of thin stainless sheet in the ding spot, looking at using a piece cut from a stainless steel door kick plate, one of those kick plates could be cut in half to make two ding plates. Not sure how to attach these to the hull , but a dab of sikaflex or even some industrial strength velcro springs to mind rather than using screws into the gelcoat.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 07:09   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
Not sure how to attach these to the hull , but a dab of sikaflex or even some industrial strength velcro springs to mind rather than using screws into the gelcoat.
This is a common fitting on charter boats in this area. Anchors bigger than standard are often fitted creating the risk of some bow damage.

A combination Sikaflex and self tapping screws are usually used with a SS plate shaped to match the bow shape. Sikaflex on its own should be adequate if you use adequate surface preparation and provide support while it cures.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 10:23   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
This is a common fitting on charter boats in this area. Anchors bigger than standard are often fitted creating the risk of some bow damage.

A combination Sikaflex and self tapping screws are usually used with a SS plate shaped to match the bow shape. Sikaflex on its own should be adequate if you use adequate surface preparation and provide support while it cures.
I saw one door kickplate advertised as being self adhesive, might be sticky enough to work until some extra applied sikaflex goop cured. Mine won't be shaped but just two separate rectangular plates either side of the bow up where the returning anchor dings.

THere was a company selling shaped bendable plates that I saw some months back but the prices were crazy and a door kickplate big enough to make two of my 'specials' is only around $8
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 18:07   #7
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionFRR View Post
In recently bought a Mantus 45lbs for my sailboat, a Beneteau Oceanis 390 and last Saturday after the installation I noticed that while deploying it the tip of the anchor touches the hull. While the test was conducted in the marina slip, I am worried that this type of anchor will do more harm to the hull once out of the marina while deploying and retrieving maneuvers. Have any of you experienced a similar situation? Any ideas on how to prevent this without having to sell / replace the anchor? Thanks
Can you send us a picture? May be we can think of something..
Greg
Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 18:36   #8

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Many production vessels do not always cater for owners upgrading their anchor systems in the future. Modifications may well be in order.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 18:54   #9

Boat: Grampian 26

bowroller placement might be on the short side and needs to be moved forward a couple inches or a complete new bow roller assembly will be required to properly house the new anchor.
what was the type that was replaced by the mantus and what is the difference in length, girth spade size all these will factor in.
its the same as an 8 foot cap for a ford will by NO stretch of the imagination fit close on an 8 foot chevy box.
Old 18-03-2014, 12:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Can you send us a picture? May be we can think of something..
Greg
Dear Greg: I am currently out of town, but, next week I will definitely send you pictures from the marina to see if something comes up to solve this issue.

Thanks,

Luis
Old 18-03-2014, 12:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottygurl View Post
bowroller placement might be on the short side and needs to be moved forward a couple inches or a complete new bow roller assembly will be required to properly house the new anchor.
what was the type that was replaced by the mantus and what is the difference in length, girth spade size all these will factor in.
its the same as an 8 foot cap for a ford will by NO stretch of the imagination fit close on an 8 foot chevy box.
The Mantus replaced a 33lbs Bruce which never touched the hull!

Tags
anchor, hull, Mantus