Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 07:58   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Mantus Chain Swivel

Anyone got one yet?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 12:27   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Mantus Chain Swivel

Looks great but then there was the part about applying tape to isolate the SS from the galvanized chain.....
But a clever design. And a reasonable cost.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 12:34   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I may get one, lots of SS swivels out there, didn't know about the need to isolate it, I assume you mean electrically, if so that ain't gonna last long.
SS corrodes zinc plated chain?
Old 17-12-2015, 12:44   #4

Quote:
I assume you mean electrically, if so that ain't gonna last long.
SS corrodes zinc plated chain?
From the Mantus website:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mantus.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	115198  
Old 17-12-2015, 13:21   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

The rate of corrosion is slow. I have been using a Kong for years and I don't see any corrosion when I switch ends. There is some wear on the chains G coating but that's it.
On our Fortress AL anchor I have a Stainless shackle and some G chain. On that set-up there is corrosion between everything.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 07:02   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I ordered one, I'll see, I have been looking for a swivel that was stronger than my G40 chain and couldn't find one until now.
Chain burst strength I think is 12,000 lbs, swivel is 19,000 lbs.
Old 18-12-2015, 07:22   #7

I plan to order one also, waiting to hope I will win the Mantus Dec giveaway or if not, their usual 10-15% generic discount. I really like this design.
Old 18-12-2015, 09:31   #8

Boat: Corbin 39

I just got mine dropped of at my door today. Not polished like the pictures on the Website. A bit larger than expected. I'm not sure it will clear my forestay. I only use 1/4 inch chain, S1 is good for 1/4 and 5/16 chain. WLL 1T US 5T Overall not a bad value considering the cost
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 06:12   #9
Marine Service Provider

Power Ball Swivels | Spade Anchor

Each one has a higher breaking strength then the chain that it is attached to. Only swivel endorsed by Lloyds of Germany. All 316 solid polished Stainless Steel Marine Grade. Fairly inexpensive when compared to similar swivels.
Attached Images

Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 17:21   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mantus Chain Swivel

I got mine today, it looks massive, Thinnest piece much bigger than my chain, obviously much stronger than the swivel it is replacing, and the cost was about the same.
Seems well designed. I like it, will try it out this weekend, but foresee no problems.
It is big though, so like someone said, make sure you have room for the thing, it's as big as a kids fist. S2 is the size I got.
Considering the price, it seems an exceptional value.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-12-2015, 07:28   #11

Boat: Tashiba 40

I just got mine today as well - the S2 for 5/16HT chain. Have not installed it yet. At first glance I see two potential points of possible failure.

1. The body of the swivel screws over the split halves holding them together and also covering the pin holding the chain link. This looks massively strong, however, it's at the mercy of the safety wire keeping it in place. What happens should the safety wire break? The body of the swivel can quickly unscrew resulting in the entire unit coming apart. In effect, your entire anchoring system is dependent on a small piece of safety wire.

The only possible solution I can think of is to not use safety wire, but try fitting welding rod into the hole where the safety wire is supposed to go. Bend both ends over into the groove on the swivel housing. Now I haven't tried this so don't know if it will work. I just don't like the idea of putting all my confidence in a safety wire keeping the Mantus swivel from coming apart underwater.

2. The bow shackle suffers from the same possible fate. Although Mantus has provided a nice hole in the head of the bolt it is essentially held in place by safety wire. Yes, I would definitely use Loctite Red on the threads but Loctite as a product is supposed to be a backup not the primary means of keeping a threaded device together. I would be much happier if the bow shackle pin screwed clear through and stuck out the end so a cotter pin could be inserted to hold the pin in place. It should never unscrew and a cotter pin is much more durable then a strand of safety wire - heck I would use both and Loctite - that's how important this one bow shackle pin is.
rcassano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 09:06   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Safety wire doesn't bother me at all, for a couple of reasons. First it's not under any kind of load, just prevents rotation, and secondly there is room to put about four pieces of .032 wire in there, four pieces won't break simultaneously, and if you break a piece, it will come loose and be obvious.
I like having stuff safety wired, comes I guess from Aviation background, I like Loctite, but I won't use it here as I consider it unnecessary.
My current swivel is attached at both ends of course, and both ends rely on Loctite only to retain the pin, that is not a good plan, I'd much rather have wire.

I use SS aircraft safety wire, one day I'll pop for Monel wire, but have had no issue with the aircraft stuff.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
Mantus