Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2020, 10:41   #1

Boat: Island Packet 31
Mantus M1

Does anyone NOT like their Mantus M1? I'm considering replacing my 25# CQR with a 35# Mantus M1. Boat is an Island Packet 31. 34 LOA and 11K lbs.
CDR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:58   #2

Boat: islandpacket
Re: Mantus M1

I have the same boat and considering the same anchor. Let me know how you like it.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Love ours. We are hanging on it right now in heavy reversing currents during The Lockdown. With all the other crap going on right now this anchor is one thing we can count on to hold and flawlessly reset repeatedly and never have to worry about.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:53   #4

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

The M1 is a great anchor, you can’t go wrong choosing it. A year and a half using mine, I sleep well. I have the 45 pounder on my PS Mariah 31, 16k lbs.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:40   #5

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

I just ordered an M1 yesterday, looking forward to testing it out. Youtube vids look great in sand/mud/grass, and being able to take it apart is nice for winter storage.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:43   #6

Boat: Island Packet 31

I've installed my new 35# galvanized M1 on my IP31's bowsprit. There are a couple of fit issues that may or may not have presented had I gone with the 25# anchor. First, when raising the anchor the tip strikes the bottom of the bowsprit just before the shaft "tips over" the roller. Second, once in the stowed position the upper side of the fluke is in contact with the fiberglass bottom front edge of the bowsprit. I've dealt with the second issue by adhering a PVC strip onto the contacted area with a flexible sealant. I expect the PVC to be sacrificial and will keep an eye on it. Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 lockdown currently in place in Maryland, I can't really give the system a good repetitive shakedown.
CDR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:51   #7

If you can fit an anchor with a rollbar, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either the Mantus M1, Rocna, or Manson Supreme.

If you can't fit a roll bar, such as with through-pulpit style, then the Mantus M2 or Rocna Vulcan are also excellent. (I don't like the look of the Manson Boss, though it is an option).

I have used Rocna tradtional, Rocna Vulcan and Manson Supreme and loved all three of them. With a very similar design, I'm sure I'd be very happy with a Mantus anchor.

I use a Mantus swivel and the original Mantus chain hook and I'm extrememly happy with both of those as well.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:10   #8
Senior Cruiser

I have heard that while the Manson works very well, compatible to the Mantus & Rockna, they lack considerably in rust protection with ineffective galvanization. In short order, a couple of years I have heard in some cases, they tend to rust right away.
Old 13-06-2020, 12:48   #9
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Looking for the same. I use a 35 pound Delta on my Catalina 320. Since we moved the boat to PNW, I would like to get something a bit better (bigger?) for shifting currents, tides etc at anchor. Looking at measurements looks like I can mount a 45 lbs Mantus M1 to my bow roller. Question is should I? Screws on the Mantus M1 make me a bit nervous. Anyone had issues with them?

Alternative is a Spade 35 lbs, which is a bit more expensive than 45 Mantus M1. I like how Spade looks better but Mantus seems to be a better deal.
Tenedos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 14:08   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If you like the Spade design better for fit or appearance, look into the Rocna Vulcan as a cheaper alternative. That's what I ended up with as I couldn't quite get the rollbar on a Mantus to with with my pulpit. So far, I've got no complaints with it. It just works.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 07:28   #11
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
Screws on the Mantus M1 make me a bit nervous. Anyone had issues with them?
Are you nervous about the "screws" on a car or truck wheel? LOL

Each bolt on the Mantus anchor is stronger than the chain you are using to connect the anchor to your boat, and there are 4 of them. If they were torqued correctly they will never come loose or break.

After a few years of use the only issue might be getting them off again should you ever wish to disassemble the anchor, which is something that couldn't even be accomplished on the Rocna anyhow as it is welded and can never be stowed flat in a locker as a spare. If they were installed with the special grease that came with the bolt kit it should be possible to disassemble but it might be a fight after a number of years together under heavy use. We have left our Mantus down on the bottom for as long as two months at a time. The galvanizing has held up marvelously though.

Mantus makes an M2 anchor that is as good or better than the rollbarless Rocna version. Personally I'd rather deal with a family-owned cruiser-oriented small marine business like Mantus which is based in the USA than Rocna. But that is just personal preference. I may be biased because every time I've ever dealt with Greg or his brother at Mantus they have bent over backwards to give me the fantastic customer service experience I would expect a rockstar or a wealthy oil sheik would receive from a head of state.

Good prices, great product, awesome customer experience. I'd buy again but the anchor seems to last forever and I'm not in the market for another boat.
Old 14-06-2020, 07:58   #12

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
Screws on the Mantus M1 make me a bit nervous. Anyone had issues with them?
This is such a common—and such a silly—concern.

Think about this for just a second. “Screws” hold your windlass to the deck. “Screws” hold down the cleat that you use to tie off your anchor chain. Those are almost surely smaller in diameter and strength, and in the case of a cleat fewer in number, than the bolts on the Mantus anchor. They are subject to the same load, but I have never heard anybody articulate a worry about them.

Bolts are easily seen and inspected. With a welded anchor you have to trust that it was done right. I have never seen or heard of a manufactured anchor weld failing, and I have never seen or heard of a “screw” failing in a Mantus anchor.

It is a well engineered and well built product. Bolts and all.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 16:19   #13

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We've had our Mantus for over 4 years. LOVE it. Friends have been cruising with theirs, over 3 years with just about every night on the hook. They said it has not only never failed them, they've said it's really added to their feelings of security. They rode out 2 close call hurricanes in the DR with it. Didn't budge.

Don't forget their dinghy anchors. The ONLY problem with them is making sure you keep the tip cover on it. But otherwise it outperforms every other dinghy anchor. We have video of 2 of us on the beach pulling on it, and it won't break loose.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mantus