Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2022, 06:38   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Mantus M1 Anchor 25 lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
Read somewhere that the "CQR" stands for "Secure"..
Cheers
Many cruising sailors do not like the CQR but the old worn one I have that came with the boat has served me well these last 10 years in and around the lower to mid Chesapeake Bay.

It is getting more worn though and even though I think I could get many more years out of it when you are laying there trying to sleep at anchor with winds of 20 knots or more and maybe 30-50 yards of space before being run aground if it drags at all you start to consider all the what if's..

Plus when I finally did check the specs on the Mantus M1 25 lb'er it's quite the beast at 19" wide and the angle of the shank and the 40' or so of heavy chain I have almost guarantees a good set and hold due to the size of the anchor.

The CQR though always did well even during the tide change which up here is every 6 hours or so and the current is strong at some of my anchorages.

Twice in 10 years I had a problem but the situation was complicated with the rode along the side of the boat and the wind and tide pushing the boat against it

Luckily both times which occurred between 2-4 am I was able to move to a new spot. One of those times waves were breaking on the boat due to a wind shift which put me in water at a depth of maybe 1' under the boat or 5' deep total so I was awake.....

It will also be interesting to compare it (the Mantus) to the older models ........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Mantus