Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2022, 13:24   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Mantus M1 Anchor 25 lb

I must admit that not many other 25 lb anchors can be delivered in a box this size (and free delivery at that)

So we'll see how it does with my normal 7:1 - 10:1 scope!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1049 (2).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	254974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1044 (2).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	254975  

Name:	IMG_1042 (2).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	254976  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 13:27   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Re: Mantus M1 Anchor 25 lb

Wow! I saw your name as a poster on this thread and JUST wondered if you bought a new anchor!

Please let us know what you think after you use it!

And congratulations on your new purchase!

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 13:35   #3

Will do.

I was close to buying a second CQR ............a $225 35lb CQR anchor at the local consignment sailboat equipment store but a CF member let me know I could get this one for around $300 delivered. See this thread.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...qr-255401.html

CQR's were developed I believe around 1934 and this anchor 2012 or so ....

I have battled all comers over my 20 lb CQR which has served me well these last 10 years but it was old and worn when I bought the boat on 2011.

So you can get caught up in an internet argument or go with a new gen anchor and see for yourself.

Only difference in the recommendation is that I never back down on an anchor. I always drift set or wind set etc
Old 26-03-2022, 13:51   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Anhors are a wonderful topic for heated discussion. The actual data on effectiveness of different models is very limited, and the conditions of anchoring vary a great deal, widely outside the test conditions. Everyone has either been well served or put ont he rocks by just about every model. So, everyone has a strong opinion and no one has enough data to back it up. About the only really clear conclusions are that you would best stay away from Admiralty models, mushrooms, and cinder blocks on a rope.

Congratulations. It's beautiful.
Old 26-03-2022, 13:53   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Ha! I remember that thread and I was in some posts. Well before this thread goes into 30 plus pages haha. I’m glad you pulled the trigger with Mantus. I think they have great stuff and their easy to talk too.

One thing I always do is back down on my anchor, but always facing the right direction. It seems pointless to back down on a anchor if your boat will swing 180 degrees after you set the anchor.

Anyways happy for you Thomm225!

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 13:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
Ha! I remember that thread and I was in some posts. Well before this thread goes into 30 plus pages haha. I’m glad you pulled the trigger with Mantus. I think they have great stuff and their easy to talk too.

One thing I always do is back down on my anchor, but always facing the right direction. It seems pointless to back down on a anchor if your boat will swing 180 degrees after you set the anchor.

Anyways happy for you Thomm225!

Sam
Thanks.

I have battled these guys for ever on my old school anchor but you cannot ignore the improvements of the newer models just to prove a point.

Just the fact that this Mantus is 19" wide as compared to 9.5" for the CQR I have tells me a lot.

Plus it's 5 lbs heavier.

Also it has a sharp nose for digging in.

But it will be quite the monstrosity on the bow or foredeck of my small boat!
Old 26-03-2022, 15:25   #7

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

My son and girlfriend have a mantus on their cat and it is certainly confidence inspiring, never dragged in the 2 months delivery home. It is 80lb though.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 18:24   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I’m a big Mantus anchor fan. I have that same 25 pounder as my backup. My primary anchor is a 33 pound galvanized Spade. I trust my life to both. I’ve had a variety of anchors going back to the late sixties and these “modern generation” anchors are simply superior products. Use as much chain as you can comfortably handle and you will be very happy with your choice.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 04:47   #9

Boat: New Horizons 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Thanks.

But it will be quite the monstrosity on the bow or foredeck of my small boat!

I've got a 35# Mantus on my 26' New Horizons. It's big, but not unreasonably so, and the piece of mind with an over sized anchor is worth it, imo!
ForeverDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 05:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDes View Post
I've got a 35# Mantus on my 26' New Horizons. It's big, but not unreasonably so, and the piece of mind with an over sized anchor is worth it, imo!
Looks like you are prepared for anything with a 35# Mantus on your boat which is a few pounds lighter than mine.

According to the chart, I'm good with a 25 lb'er up to about 50 knots or a bit more depending what I'm anchored in.

I have been in gusts to around 45 knots or so with an undersized CQR 20 lb'er which I have been using the last 10 years.

As far as me calling it a monstrosity, it's the width as compared to my CQR which is about 9 1/2" wide. The Mantus M1 25 is 19" and since my bow roller section of my anchor platform got damaged and I had to remove it

I have been storing my anchor on the foredeck and securing it to the cleat there with an extra line when sailing but have to remove at the dock for the dock lines.

Plus it's faster for me when leaving anchor as a single hander just to drop the anchor on deck rather than trying to secure it somehow to the bow/anchor platform as the boat is drifting out of control
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00626.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	450.4 KB
ID:	255000   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00627.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	459.6 KB
ID:	255001  

Name:	IMG_0510.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	455.8 KB
ID:	255002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0511 (1).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	255003  

Old 27-03-2022, 05:21   #11

Boat: New Horizons 25'

Quote:
Looks like you are prepared for anything with a 35# Mantus on your boat which is a few pounds lighter than mine.

According to the chart, I'm good with a 25 lb'er up to about 50 knots or a bit more depending what I'm anchored in.

I'm sure I would have been fine with a 25# Mantus, but their sizing chart recommends the 25# only up to a 5000# boat in 50 knots of wind, and my boat is about #6000. With the cost of up sizing once being so minimal, and having an electric windlass and easy way to secure the anchor, I felt it was worth going bigger rather than smaller.
I actually have a 13# Mantus from my previous boat, a WWP 19, about 1500#. I used it the first year I had the New Horizons, and I got along very well in the muddy lake bottom, even in some stronger winds. But those winds never lasted more than a couple hours, and there's only a half mile of fetch East to West, so it was not much of a test. I have the smaller Mantus dissembled as an emergency backup, as well as the 22# Danforth clone (I think it's Delta) that came with the boat. I'd honestly trust the 13# Mantus over the 22# Delta if push came to shove. I've seen way too many boats with Danforth style anchors broken loose in the summer squalls around me.
ForeverDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 05:41   #12

Hopefully I won't get caught in 50 + knot winds at anchor, but if I do and they stay in one direction I think I will be fine with the Mantus M1 25. (bottom makeup depending)

My boat sits pretty high in the water (for a Bristol 27) since I have removed the 352 lb Bukh diesel and gear box and all associated equipment for it to include prop shaft, prop, engine mounts, stuffing box, 20 gallon fuel tank, controls, flange, muffler, etc. so the boat may weight 500-600 lbs less than another B27.

I also removed the PO's dinghy davits back in 2011 but wish I still had them to use as a solar panel mount
Old 27-03-2022, 13:35   #13

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

I have a 45lb Mantus as my primary, so far I'm happy with it, where I am it's usually thick mud & sand, it sets quick & hasn't dragged on me. I have heard of the odd story of them dragging in soupy mud...not sure of the conditions though.. your'e right about how big they look on the bow, they have a large wingspan.
Bent Bugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 13:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Bugle View Post
I have a 45lb Mantus as my primary, so far I'm happy with it, where I am it's usually thick mud & sand, it sets quick & hasn't dragged on me. I have heard of the odd story of them dragging in soupy mud...not sure of the conditions though.. your'e right about how big they look on the bow, they have a large wingspan.
Yeah, the appearance or the look of my good old CQR on the bow of my boat reminded me of walking the docks in the 90's in Florida trying to figure out which monohull I would want to buy when I was older after I stopped racing and sold all my hi-tech beach cats

Many of them had a CQR of the bow.....as did the ones at the apartment where I lived which had a dock and a place I could park my the beach cats I raced just above the high water mark.

There's a seawall there now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B27.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	255049   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Landing.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	255050  

Old 28-03-2022, 06:26   #15

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Will do.

I was close to buying a second CQR ............a $225 35lb CQR anchor at the local consignment sailboat equipment store but a CF member let me know I could get this one for around $300 delivered. See this thread.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...qr-255401.html

CQR's were developed I believe around 1934 and this anchor 2012 or so ....

I have battled all comers over my 20 lb CQR which has served me well these last 10 years but it was old and worn when I bought the boat on 2011.

So you can get caught up in an internet argument or go with a new gen anchor and see for yourself.

Only difference in the recommendation is that I never back down on an anchor. I always drift set or wind set etc
Read somewhere that the "CQR" stands for "Secure"..
Cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Mantus