Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2016, 09:56   #16

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Mantus: Which size for our boat?

I don't disagree with all the posters who have said 25# is the way to go. I have two 45# mantus' on my 10k lb boat where a 35# would probably be more than sufficient. But my thinking was: both the 35 and 45 fit pretty much the same on my bow, didn't cost much more, and I'm in good shape and rely on a manual windlass anyways, so hauling up the extra 10lbs is a non-issue.

So I guess it's the old bigger is better mentality. Not sure how valid it really is, but along with a good anchor alarm, we've definitely anchored in some pretty marginal substrates without the slightest issue.

Either way, you're getting a good anchor.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 10:02   #17

Community Sponsor

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44 & Hobie Bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarel Design View Post
Hello,
Let me begin with: Please: This is NOT intended as a “which anchor” thread… Rather which size anchor for our particular boat and cruising plans? I’ve chosen to go with the Mantus and trying to decide between the 25# and 35#.

Chrysler 26:
LOA: 26’
Beam: 8’
Draft: 6’ 4” (down), 2’ 3” (up)
Displacement: 5,000#

Thank you so much!
Richard & Tresa
Richard/Tess-
Based on your very comprehensive description, you fit right in with "Working Anchor" sizing. I would recommend a 25# for you. It is sized appropriately for your given sailing expectations - overnights, exposure to bad weather/squalls combined with poor soil condition. Plus, with your lighter displacement you have extra margin. This size anchor will get you through any condition short of a named storm.
As you state bigger is often better but it does come as extra weight (and cost) that you need to manhandle and deal with and in this case doesn't really offer up much more value for your specific use.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Deneen
Sailing Delta Tango
d.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 10:11   #18

Boat: Chrysler 26, swing keel

The more I hear/learn and imagine us pulling up our anchor by hand, the more I am considering buying/building a manual windlass!

I know we'll be pulling it up mostly by hand but when it comes to vertically pulling the anchor and chain, a windlass could make a big difference for us... Especially when setting and reconsidering our choice or feel of our set and wanting to try again... and again... If it's a PITA, we'll be less likely to get it "right".

Thanks for sharing...

Richard

PS: The size choice is also about our fore-deck set up. Our anchor locker is really close to the bow and the larger anchor will make it much more difficult to create a strong bowsprit and still have the stock, not hinder opening up the locker (I REALLY don't want to rebuild that!) LOL! Enough to do with our existing plans already. LOL!
Jarel Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 10:32   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I agree with everyone else that a 25# Mantus will do you Proud.

I fall into that bigger is better crowd with a 45# mantus on a 12k# 34' sailboat. I actually get comments about the big anchor on the bow. I must admit it looks huge on the bow of the rose. I could have gotten a 35#, but when the wind is up, I just don't worry about dragging at all anymore. That is worth a few chants (generally 4 letter chants) when raising the %^&* anchor after a windy night.

I don't have a windlass, but use one of the sheet winches and the engine to break the anchor loose. So a windless while nice, is not required if you have a jib winch.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 10:47   #20

Hi Sailorchick,

Thanks for your input (I've read and have appreciated many of your posts on this site!) I've heard the 'stories" about others criticizing the size of a large anchor on a boat. I don't care and fall into the category of not wanting to anchor near someone putting down a "lunch hook". My size questions were purely about security and being able to hoist manually.

Although a windlass (or parts to create one), are not high on my list, I want to keep the idea in mind when we take a short "holiday" trip up to Portland and down to LA to visit (and spend HOURS browsing the used chandlaries. I have read a lot about using a sail winch to bring up the anchor line and have kept that in mind if we end up not including a dedicated winch/windlass on our bow. Once I get our anchor, I will be building a STRONG bowsprit with roller and at that point, I want to take into mind, leaving enough room to place a windlass at some point. These considerations are better thought out before building/modifying anything.

If you visit my website, you'll see that I love "making stuff"... LOL! I'm blessed with the skills, tools and experience to be able to create just about anything.

Best,
Richard
Old 31-10-2016, 11:00   #21

Boat: Scout 30

I've never has 8 plait line before but if you go with 3 strand I'd recommend 5/8 line. It's a lot easier on the hands & can handle more abrasion before parting.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 14:19   #22

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

the size recommended by the anchor manufacturer to suit your vessel / then learn to use your new anchor within it's capabilities / most of them won't pull into limestone or if you drop it into a reef it may end up staying there
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 16:17   #23

We have a ComPac 27, 30 ft overall, displacement 6000 lbs, loaded weight around 9000 lbs. It came with a Bruce/claw type anchor about 18 lbs, on 30 ft of 1/4" chain and then nylon rode. We had problems with it dragging anchor during the 2015 season, so we upgraded last winter to a 25 lb Mantus, 100 ft of 5/16" chain, and 150 ft of heavier nylon rode. It worked great this season, especially in eel grass bottoms where the blunt edged Bruce anchor just slid over the top of the grass. I did add a manual windlass and that made retrieving it easier, but just to see if I could do it, I pulled it in by hand. Wasn't fun, but could be done. Customer service from Mantus is great.

Terry Ney
ComPac 27 "SV Paradiso"
tney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 20:11   #24
Dean

Community Sponsor

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Hello Richard,
I wanted to add that we offer a 1/4" chain hook. You had ask in one of your posts if there is one out there.
Dean
Mantus 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 21:21   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Portland???

I'm the local Mantus distributor here in the PDX area. One of the reasons that I stock Mantus is so that interested sailors can put their hands on the anchor and see if it fits their boat and is what they want.

I have stock at Columbia Marine exchange and more in the "garage". Both 35# and 25# anchors between the 2 places (I have the 35# in the garage). Plus chain hooks in Stainless and galvanized.

Shoot me a pm if you want to get a look at the Mantus and perhaps take it out for a test run.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:02   #26

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

The main issue in hand retrieval is not weight, but waves and vertical motion at bow.

It may increase the actual pull by 50% easily
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:44   #27

Need to thank everyone again for great info! LOTS of confidence in going with the 25# Mantus!

Still playing with chain size/rode etc... To help keep costs down, I'm thinking of 1/2" BBB and 3-2trand. This will help me upgrade our two other anchors.

Dean, Thanks for letting me know about the 1/4" hook!

EVM, Thank you for your kind offer, but unfortunately, we're in Medford (the other end of the state.) However, I'm working on other parts of our boat and don't need to get the anchor installed until late spring next year. We're hoping to take a trip up to Portland around Christmas to hit the used chandleries. Maybe I could come by and trace the 25# onto cardboard? That would be awesome and all that I'd need to get started with designing a bowsprit and setting up the fore-deck. (Again, I'm a professional prototype developer... I can trace the actual anchor to make a cardboard mock-up. Assemble the cardboard parts and then fit the cardboard anchor to our bow leaving enough clearance for variables between the two.

I printed out the 3-view photos from the website and was going to use an overhead projector to enlarge them to 1:1 scale. I'd trust tracing a lot more.

Could you send me an email with your info? richard@jareldesign.com

Thank you!

Richard
Old 01-11-2016, 09:58   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarel Design View Post
Need to thank everyone again for great info! LOTS of confidence in going with the 25# Mantus!

Still playing with chain size/rode etc... To help keep costs down, I'm thinking of 1/2" BBB and 3-2trand. This will help me upgrade our two other anchors.

Dean, Thanks for letting me know about the 1/4" hook!

EVM, Thank you for your kind offer, but unfortunately, we're in Medford (the other end of the state.) However, I'm working on other parts of our boat and don't need to get the anchor installed until late spring next year. We're hoping to take a trip up to Portland around Christmas to hit the used chandleries. Maybe I could come by and trace the 25# onto cardboard? That would be awesome and all that I'd need to get started with designing a bowsprit and setting up the fore-deck. (Again, I'm a professional prototype developer... I can trace the actual anchor to make a cardboard mock-up. Assemble the cardboard parts and then fit the cardboard anchor to our bow leaving enough clearance for variables between the two.

I printed out the 3-view photos from the website and was going to use an overhead projector to enlarge them to 1:1 scale. I'd trust tracing a lot more.

Could you send me an email with your info? richard@jareldesign.com

Thank you!

Richard
You meant 1/4" BBB, right?

Don't skimp on the rope rode! 1/2" is skinny, fragile, and vulnerable to chafe. You should go up at least one size from that, better two since rope rode is not heavy. You can use 3 strand, as many do, but you may find it's false economy, as 3 strand tends to hockle and get unlaid and doesn't last nearly as long. It's also much less pleasant to use as it gets a twist in it when you try to flake it (which can make it hockle and ruin it). Octoplait rope is one of mankind's greatest inventions Definitely worth the money! It's easy to splice onto chain, so do it yourself to save a bit of coin. It's a joy to handle.

Also I would suggest using polyester, not nylon. Polyester is less vulnerable to chafe and doesn't lose strength when wet. Use a nylon snubber attached with a rolling hitch, to add stretch if necessary. The snubber is sacrificial, so can be nylon and thin and stretchy. The rode, on the other hand, should be strong and as chafe-resistant as possible.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:15   #29

Yes 1/4" BBB

I'm thinking of 5/8" rode. Going with 3 strand nylon to be able to afford doing three anchors! I have some old fire-hose to use as chafe guards.

This will be our first real "cruise", so I'm really trying to keep costs down without sacrificing safety. There are so many other (expensive!), projects I'd like to get done by next winter... Since we're not really planning to do anything serious in LA this coming summer (Slips and mooring buoys at Catalina, practice anchor set/retrieval (maybe with existing line and chain), in the marina, general shakedown and sailing on the ocean. We both have ocean experience but not with this boat.), Convenience of rode handling won't be an issue for this one (And, if I can feel/imagine the difference, plait line will be next... maybe before we leave for the ICW where we'll be setting anchor for over-night stays.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2016, 10:30   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

For a swivel, I don't normally like one, they are the weak link.
However the Mantus swivel is exceptionally well designed in my opinion and is not likely to be a weak link
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mantus, size