Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 16:12   #61

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Mathematic approach to anchoring scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The engineer will tell you for all practical purposes yes, it does go away. Once a 100m length of chain is within a few centimeters of being in a straight line, for all practical purposes, it's straight.
Can the engineer tell me how hard do you have to pull to make 130m of 3/8" chain, "for all practical purposes straight"?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 16:21   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Can the engineer tell me how hard do you have to pull to make 130m of 3/8" chain, "for all practical purposes straight"?
Sure, tell us what your practical purposes are.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 17:27   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Well first there's gravity, then added to that is elastic stretch - both temporary, but pull a bit more and you add deformity, which would come with some heating, that would dissipate to the surrounding water - lost energy, that you're not getting back

There's always lost energy that you're not getting back. I think that's what conachair meant.

In one word: Entropy
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 17:31   #64

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Sure, tell us what your practical purposes are.
Duh! Keeping the anchor shank parallel to the seabed.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 17:34   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Less than 50 feet of chain in shallow water is a jackhammer. And you need more scope. Kind of simple.
Assuming all chain rode.
Rope can take the place of catenary as a shock absorber
Old 03-06-2020, 17:52   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I am not an engineer, but:

Take the simple case of a chain with the end points attached at the same height.
Decide what angle at the end points is acceptable for your "practical purposes".
Let's say you want it sufficiently straight that the chain departs from the anchor point at x°.
At either end point, with half the weight of the chain as the vertical component, the horizontal component is simple vector trigonometry.
Old 03-06-2020, 17:53   #67

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'll go slow. The---answer--is--in--the--first--post.

Seriously, you heard the list of variables. No one answer. Anywhere from 15 knots to 45 knots, depending.

Thank you for reading into and for this answer. Can I please keep your attention one minute more?

So how come with just 17 meters of chain and in wind gusting 45 for well over a day, we never ever felt the catenary gone flatline - anchored in Eastern Australia (behind the reef) ???

Swell was max 2 ft. We were right behind a flat island.

I would think when all catenary is gone, I would notice? (aka Sparrow's Paradigm)

(My guess: push forces from the wind are HUGELY overrated in extreme anchor pull calculations.) By maybe factor of 2. Hugely.

Maybe this is DUE TO thinking a lot about wind and swell BUT NOTHING about the friction of chain pulled horizontally thru water. E.g.

Good maths is good. Poor physics and limited real life experience is limiting good maths.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 17:58   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That does not occur when the chain is straight. It occurs when the catenary lifts the last link. That's what this whole thread was about originally and we have all the theroretical answers in great detail at the link in the original post.

A "straight" chain is an entirely different situation. That is when the anchor shank is being pulled upwards by an amount determined by the depth of water and the distance between boat and anchor.
Old 03-06-2020, 18:21   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Neel 51, Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
So how come with just 17 meters of chain and in wind gusting 45 for well over a day, we never ever felt the catenary gone flatline - anchored in Eastern Australia (behind the reef) ???
Perhaps your wind measurement device was completely out of whack? But more seriously, this seems like an awfully short chain for that kind of wind.

Any more information on what type of vessel it was, what the water depth was? What type of snubber / bridle used?

On that point of snubber / bridle - I see it often that they are way too short to be effective. A snubber of just 2 metres long is just micky mouse. A bridle of 4 metres the same. A snubber should be at least 10 metres long. Same holds for a bridle. As was said elsewhere, the energy is force times distance, and so you want to cover a good distance when elongating your snubber to keep the force in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Maybe this is DUE TO thinking a lot about wind and swell BUT NOTHING about the friction of chain pulled horizontally thru water. E.g.
barnakiel
Have a look at post 30 by Panope in this thread, which I found most enlightening:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-215250-2.html

Seems like some serious amount of energy can be dissipated that way.
MathiasW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 22:56   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

We discussed this in the old thread, in great detail. Are we going to rehash it all, here?

It takes 544daN to lift the last link of a 130m long, 3/8" chain, in 30 meters of water. That is a little less than the ABYC design wind load for a 14m boat in 28 knots of wind.

At that point, the pull on the anchor shaft is no longer horizontal. Alain's spreadsheet has calculators for all this, including the force required to get a given angulation on the anchor with a given combination of depth, chain length, chain size.

As to pure straightness of the chain -- that's the catenary sag formula. Here's a handy calculator: https://www.spaceagecontrol.com/calccabl.htm. I don't think we care about this, we care about the angulation on the anchor, and we care about the vanishing point of the damping effect of catenary. Reducing anchor angulation, and damping snatch loads on the ground tackle, are the two beneficial effects of catenary, so that's what we care about. Right?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 00:00   #71
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Have to disagree that you've proven anything for the "real world".

What you've done is look at a "theoretical set of conditions" which has some correlation to the real world.
Alright, what is your approach to the subject matter then? I mean concretely, no handwaving or pointing to some foggy statements. So far, apart from insults, your contribution to this topic has been underwhelming...
Old 04-06-2020, 00:44   #72
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It takes 544daN to lift the last link of a 130m long, 3/8" chain, in 30 meters of water. That is a little less than the ABYC design wind load for a 14m boat in 28 knots of wind.
Sorry for my ignorance, but are these 544 daN the wind force, or the force at the bow?

In the following I will ignore the difference between daN and kp, as it is rather late for me...

If it is wind force, then 544daN at 28 kn of wind correspond to an effective windage area of 43 square metres, which is rather a lot for such a small vessel.

If it is force at the bow, one first has to subtract the weight of the imaginary vertical chain to get to the wind load, so for a 10 mm chain roughly 30 m x 2 kp/m = 60 daN. And 484daN correspond to an effective windage area of 39 square metres, which is still rather large.

So, to me the issue seems to be that the windage area is assumed to be way too high for such a small vessel. A vessel of that size has more likely an effective windage area closer to 10-15 square metres. I mean, if the beam is 4.5 metres, say, the coach roof 2.5 metres above the water, that makes 11.25 square metres. Plus lazy jack, mast, Genova, rig, perhaps another 2 square metres. Then this has to be reduced by some factor < 1 as it is not a flat square surface of a brick, but the wind can slip around it more easily. I would find it hard to believe that this can get anything close to a windage area of 40 square metres...

A friend of mine measured the windage area of an Etap 39 quite accurately with a gauge and found it to be 7 square metres. If I apply scaling law here, so 14 m = 46 ft and the Etap 39 being 39 ft, then I arrive at

7 square metres x (46/39)^2 = 10 square metres

for a vessel of 14 m, which is consistent with my very rough estimate above.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:44   #73

Quote:
If the chain is for practical purposes straight...that pretty much precludes the pull being parallel to the seabed.

Of course, this is where you have to understand that anchors don't need a perfectly parallel pull to stay dug in. It's nice but not necessary.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:45   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasW View Post
Alright, what is your approach to the subject matter then? I mean concretely, no handwaving or pointing to some foggy statements. So far, apart from insults, your contribution to this topic has been underwhelming...
There's a reason it's a field that is mostly empirically driven.

There's a bit of theory and principals but trying to calculate it to the gnats ass doesn't really work.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:10   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Mathematically it is impossible to eliminate catenary (while gravity is present), but in practice there are many anchoring situations where the chain visually appears dead straight.

It is difficult to capture the whole length of chain on camera, but these photos are examples of the appearance of the last few metres of chain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61FA3E19-377C-48EF-9E91-F56193C01E82.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	216570   Click image for larger version

Name:	2468E1ED-BE83-4A34-8A9E-E48A1E005EF9.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	216571  

noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags