Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2021, 22:12   #1

Maxwell Nillson motor disassembly

Hey, the motor on our Maxwell Nillson anchor winch has gone. We got a replacement motor but for the life of us, we cannot figure out how to remove the old motor to replace it.
It may be obvious, but its completely lost on us. We want to say it could be the big bolts on the side, but we can't find a Phillips screwdriver big enough to remove those.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211119_054444839.MP.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	248533  
lucytra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 01:21   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Maxwell Nillson motor disassembly

That is quite different from my Maxwell (no Nillsen), so this is conjecture...

I suspect that the big Phillips screws secure the magnets in the housing and have nothing to do with removing the motor. Since there is no flange mount (as in the M-W versions) I suspect that you will need to drop the gearbox from the deck casting, complete with the motor (quite heavy, so be careful) and that you will find the attachment of motor to gearbox to be inside the housing. Seems kinda weird, but if there are not external attachments, they must be internal!

Good luck, and let us know what you find, please.

Jim
Old 19-11-2021, 06:49   #3

Boat: Norseman 447

When I took mine apart, it turned out that the end of the motor was threaded and screwed into the side of the case. There was a roll pin that went into a hole drilled through the edge of the hole in the case and the threaded part of the motor to keep the motor from rotating. The fellow that was helping me had done a similar job before and knew that the pin was there. I’d have never found it. If you know it’s there, you can see the dotted line on the drawings, but you’d never be able to tell what it was just by looking at the drawings.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 17:21   #4

Boat: Hylas 49

Bycrick is right. You need a strap wrench.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 17:49   #5

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
When I took mine apart, it turned out that the end of the motor was threaded and screwed into the side of the case. There was a roll pin that went into a hole drilled through the edge of the hole in the case and the threaded part of the motor to keep the motor from rotating. The fellow that was helping me had done a similar job before and knew that the pin was there. I’d have never found it. If you know it’s there, you can see the dotted line on the drawings, but you’d never be able to tell what it was just by looking at the drawings.

To remove that roll pin, remove the whole windlass from the deck. Remove bolt #32 (see page 6) in attached pdf, and punch thru from the top, the roll pin #20 will come out. Then use a strap wrench to unscrew the motor.

To mount the new motor, worm gear and spacer you will have to get that whole windlass out and apart anyways. Check the bearings while you are at it. There is one hidden in the aluminum adapter between motor and the gearbox case.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf windlassV1000.pdf (348.8 KB, 122 views)
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 09:39   #6

Boat: Baba 40

Did you get the motor directly from Nilsson? I inquired about a new one myself earlier this year and was shocked at the shipping cost to the US.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 10:07   #7

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Sometimes, if you pray to the right gods and sacrifice a chicken or two, you can pull a roll pin by running a tap into it and yanking it out with a slide hammer.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 20:18   #8

Boat: Dix 43 HD

I have tried to upload more info from Maxwell - if it doesnt appear will repeat on line tomorrow

But pretty straight forward to remove and also to repair these motors

They are - or were - a modified Lucas starter motor from the era of import restrictions in NZ
So lots of parts are widely available and when mine stopped working I replaced the brushes and reinstalled

Good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Replacement Motor for the Nilsson V1000 Series 3.pdf (513.7 KB, 42 views)
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 20:24   #9

Boat: Dix 43 HD

Sailshabby if you still need ask again in 2022
Shipping from NZ has been a nightmare with Covid putting a big stop on flights but hopefully a return to a better service in 2022
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 23:13   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grattaway View Post
I have tried to upload more info from Maxwell - if it doesnt appear will repeat on line tomorrow

But pretty straight forward to remove and also to repair these motors

They are - or were - a modified Lucas starter motor from the era of import restrictions in NZ
So lots of parts are widely available and when mine stopped working I replaced the brushes and reinstalled

Good luck
They were horrible motors but it was easy to get spares. I went into an auto electrical workshop and when I told the proprietor that they were common in Land Rovers he went out the back and got me an entire motor and would not take any payment.
Old 21-11-2021, 01:40   #11

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Taking the Stator off should be dead easy (In my case 2 end screws) Yes there is a roll pin that stops rotation of the mount, thou in my case did nothing, looks like you have a modern motor that is probably bi directional, that need it needs substantial restraint, probably still a roll pin, (some people call it a celox pin). If you are removing the Armature, think it best to reomove entire windlass. Don't talk to Maxwell, they won't tell you, but I did speak to grandson of the original design, he said, this is better than modern Windlass keep it going, with a 1 1/2" shaft and fast rotation it is a beaut.

For those that don't know, original gearbox had cast aluminium & it disolved, I ordered replacement of top part, its plastic far better & fitted well. One direction is pretty ordinary, I will order a reversing type soon, when I decide if I'm changing to 24V or not.
Old 21-11-2021, 01:56   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, lucytra.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
maxwell, motor