Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2023, 02:00   #1

Maxwell RC8-10 Windlass power consumption

Hi,

I've been scouring the internet trying to find the power consumption for the Maxwell RC8-10 vertical windlass. I can find fuses (135Amp), I can find motor power (1000W) but I can't find the power consumption. I'm creating an electronics/equipment register to understand my power requirements and can't find this data anywhere. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

EDIT: Well you learn something new every day. Turns out you can't edit a post with the typo (mistake) in the heading you can only edit the body of the post.

EDIT: Turns out you can. You need to click on the "advanced edit" button.
tronic72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 07:50   #2

Re: Maxwell RC8-10 Windlass power consumption

I'm a firm believer that the only silly question is the one not asked and that we are all here trying to learn, just like I did regarding your edit issue, thanks!

I think you have a misunderstanding of the words power consumption, and what you are really after is how many Amps does this windlass draw when operating loaded?

If so, the answer is almost before you, here is how you get it.

Let's assume the windlass is designed to run on 12V. DC. We also know that the motor's power consumption is 1000 watts. If you want to include for the power consumption of the solenoids that actually turn the motor on, then add about 100 watts.

Now take your total of 1100 watts of power consumed to run the loaded windlass and divide it by the voltage of 12 V. and you get the amperage, which is about 92 A.

This equation works all the time even backwards or rearranged in DC, not so much in AC.

Hope this helps.
Putt-Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 08:05   #3

Boat: Hunter 340

Also if you are talking about energy consumption that is simply power over time.

1000W running for say 10 minutes a day would be 166 Wh. To convert this to battery Ah (on 12V battery) 166 / 12 = 13.8 Ah.

It uses a lot of power but not for a long time so energy consumption is modest.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 08:06   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Power consumption will vary based on how much load the windlass is under. As far as sizing wiring, etc. I'd assume it draws the full breaker rating continuously, knowing that real world consumption should be less (but it can spike higher briefly under very heavy loads, too high for too long trips the breaker).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 09:21   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The energy consumed will depend on the load and duration, and these factors will vary with the depth of water etc, but you can do a rough estimate that will be OK for a power budget.

A 1000w windlass is likely drawing an average of around 60A during the retrieve.

The retrieval speed of this windlass is listed as 30m per min. This is likely a no load, or at least low load measurement. 20m per min is likely more realistic. So 2mins if you have 40m of chain out.

60A for 2mins is 2 Ahrs. We need to add some more for the idle consumption of the remote control and then consider Phuket’s equation when dealing with these high loads (if you have lead acid batteries). Strictly speaking Phuket’s equation reduces battery capacity rather than increases consumption, but for this rough estimate we “cheat” and increase consumption.

About 3-4 Ahrs at 12v should be in the ballpark for around 40m of chain out.

You could actually measure the consumption and this will be far more accurate.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 14:53   #6

Thanks to everyone for that. I’m a bit embarrassed as I’d actually forgotten that formula. Thanks again. Happy sails
tronic72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windlass, wind, maxwell, consumption, power