Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2014, 08:14   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: Mediterranean Mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I just use plastic anchors and elastic lines.
Cheaper to just leave 'em there.

You are really progressive regarding mooring techniques, Weavis...
But what about.... No, no, silly me, it is for sure most eco-friendly way to do this!!!!!
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 08:25   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
You are really progressive regarding mooring techniques, Weavis...
But what about.... No, no, silly me, it is for sure most eco-friendly way to do this!!!!!
I always found it amusing that a "technique" has a local area name. Im all for going to the Med and dropping an anchor and tying off in the "Solent Method". That would confuse everyone.

It seems that my method, which avoids the whole issue altogether, of mooring AWAY from everyone else is catching on. If its chock full of boats all tripping over each other, I dont want to be there.

I do admire anyone who can follow the wonderful advice given here for coping with the craziness of irate and arrogant boaters who have no respect for your anchoring rights, and proceed to ruin an early morning start for you by having draped at least 3 lines over your anchor..

I sat on the wall at Cala Mayor (Mallorca) and watched 2 guys screaming at each other last autumn for fouling their respective anchors... it was so good I went and got coffee and came back and watched it to the conclusion where a diver went down.

the joys.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 08:27   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

i tried tell this to my scottish wife when she was 7 months pregnant,swimming ashore with the line in her teeth in turkey........she just shrugged and called me wimp
That's your own damned fault for marrying a Scot. (Greenock born and bred myself)
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 08:36   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I always found it amusing that a "technique" has a local area name. Im all for going to the Med and dropping an anchor and tying off in the "Solent Method". That would confuse everyone.

It seems that my method, which avoids the whole issue altogether, of mooring AWAY from everyone else is catching on. If its chock full of boats all tripping over each other, I dont want to be there.

I do admire anyone who can follow the wonderful advice given here for coping with the craziness of irate and arrogant boaters who have no respect for your anchoring rights, and proceed to ruin an early morning start for you by having draped at least 3 lines over your anchor..

I sat on the wall at Cala Mayor (Mallorca) and watched 2 guys screaming at each other last autumn for fouling their respective anchors... it was so good I went and got coffee and came back and watched it to the conclusion where a diver went down.

the joys.
Hmmm... Such a coffee shop, with a good views, of course, we call here "box of scoffers" (if I got the translation right)
I love to be a part of the box of scoffers, I need admit.
As well as my Dearest Wife
Old 14-04-2014, 08:39   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It must be the feeling close to the hoisting the Solent jib somewhere in Greece
Old 14-04-2014, 09:14   #96

I like med style mooring and certainly feel more comfortable and confident doing than coming along side.

I solo a lot and whilst I generally prefer to anchor out, when I do med style to a town quay I have the routine well worked out so I am yet to make a total ass of myself.

I have not had it so good when it comes to running a shore line in a bay. I have never attempted it solo and when I have had a crew, things had not worked out so well.

I have been thinking that maybe can do it solo by dropping the anchor reversing up as close to the shore as is safe and the drop my spare anchor. Then move a boat length or two forward using the windlass. It there is not too strong a cross breeze maybe that will hold me in place whilst I go to shore and fix a stern line. Then I can back in and retrieve the stern anchor. Maybe I will try that one day either when the winds will not punish a mistake or when I have a crew
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 10:42   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I have been thinking that maybe can do it solo by dropping the anchor reversing up as close to the shore as is safe and the drop my spare anchor. Then move a boat length or two forward using the windlass. It there is not too strong a cross breeze maybe that will hold me in place whilst I go to shore and fix a stern line. Then I can back in and retrieve the stern anchor. Maybe I will try that one day either when the winds will not punish a mistake or when I have a crew
I think it is very good idea
Should work
Old 14-04-2014, 11:11   #98
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
I have not had it so good when it comes to running a shore line in a bay. I have never attempted it solo and when I have had a crew, things had not worked out so well.

I think Noelex's system would be better when solo. Anchor in the bay, use the dingy to prepare the shore line, row it out with a fender tied to the end and then maybe drop a small line with a weight on it to keep the fender/line in place. Then you can go back, weigh anchor, reset, and back up til you can grab the fender with the boat hook.

If you tried to use a second anchor, you would be pretty far off shore before it grabbed.
Old 14-04-2014, 11:58   #99

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
That is, in principle, what I do when going head in into a caleta in Patagonia with the intention of lying to 4 lines with no anchor. I simply park her where I want to end up..... if in 3 metres of water drop out about 6 metres of chain... run lines.
Works well in light conditions with a wind blowing down the caleta. If the wind is stronger I simply drop out more chain. When lines are run you can always haul her into the exact possy that you want. See my pix further up the thread.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 13:50   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I think Noelex's system would be better when solo. Anchor in the bay, use the dingy to prepare the shore line, row it out with a fender tied to the end and then maybe drop a small line with a weight on it to keep the fender/line in place. Then you can go back, weigh anchor, reset, and back up til you can grab the fender with the boat hook.

If you tried to use a second anchor, you would be pretty far off shore before it grabbed.
That has been suggested to me although instead of a weight, use a bucket hanging off the fender.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 14:18   #101
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Mediterranean Mooring

DoubleWhiskey gives an excellent account of the issues.

Couple of key things. , in many areas , especially in town ports without lazy lines, the " fine art of anchor knitting " is inevitable. Personally ,if I can , I launch the dinghy , tie it to the bow and set the anchor manually after using a set of goggles after I'm tied up , I usually let the boat out as far as I can , on its stern lines , row out the hook, gently tighten with the windlass and back it to dig the anchor. ( sometimes I just use the windlass and reposition the boat over time as the hook buries )

Other then that , knitting is inevitable , especially as the wind shits and you end up positioning yourself to winward as you go astern in, whereas they may have laid theirs in flat calm.

Personally I tend to leave out loads of chain when I think someone is leaving and I may be crossing ( under or over) pulling the chain taught rarely works, at least then when they pick it up , they can haul it to the surface , hold it. Drop theirs under it and then drop mine, without pulling me off the dock.

Never get irate folks, no matter who crosses who. The biggest issues are idiots that try and drive out pulling your anchor chain with then

The next pandemonium comes when the idiot realising he's snarled up, suddenly stops a d starts to drift down on everyone, or frantically guns the engine trying to hold station , at this stage everyone is on guard. !

Oh the joys. Thank god lazy lines have spread.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14-04-2014, 14:22   #102
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
That has been suggested to me although instead of a weight, use a bucket hanging off the fender.
What would the bucket do?

I'm glad Double Whiskey has spent so much time reviewing the aspects of these mooring techniques. I really need to work more on the stern to shore situations. Palarran takes up quite a bit of real estate which makes it hard to anchor in many bays. Plus, catamarans get back winded differently than monohulls so drifting together at night is a problem.

When you guys see these boats tucked into very small coves, do you ever worry about a wind shift and getting somewhat "trapped" in the cove? I'm talking about coves that are open and exposed to one side. Most of them have about 40 feet of space before your up against the rocks on the back of it. I just haven't gotten ballsy enough to commit.
Old 14-04-2014, 14:47   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 15:08   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Never get irate folks, no matter who crosses who. The biggest issues are idiots that try and drive out pulling your anchor chain with them.
Dave
I think it is always a good idea to disscuss the situation with a skipper of other boat involved, as soon as crossing is discovered, and jointly asess the possible solutions. It can make things calmer, without idiotic rant over tangled chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The next pandemonium comes when the idiot realising he's snarled up, suddenly stops a d starts to drift down on everyone, or frantically guns the engine trying to hold station , at this stage everyone is on guard!
Dave
So true
Old 14-04-2014, 15:12   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I doubt if the bucket can keep the fender in place...
Some weight is better solution, I think

Tags
mediterranean, mooring