Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2015, 10:14   #1

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Question Metric chain in the USA

Hi folks,
we're in the Bahamas and shortly (I hope) heading up to the US east coast for the summer, with plans to haul-out/refit in Green Cove Springs at the north end of Florida. High on the 'jobs to-do' list is to replace the anchor chain and windlass gypsy, but looking online this morning, it appears that our Windlass manufacturer (Lewmar) only supply metric sized gypsies; for us that means a 10mm gypsy to suit either DIN 002 or ISO No. 003 chain types.

So, does anyone know what the difference is between these two chain types is and more importantly, can anyone recommend a supplier in the US who could ship me 200 - 250' of it to Florida?

We're a fulltime live-aboard yacht and hanging off our anchor for 300+ nights a year, so whilst price is always a consideration, we're first and foremost looking for good quality chain.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 05:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Metric chain in the USA

10mm DIN 766 = 3/8" ISO G4
See the chain guide ➥ http://www.lewmar.com/cms/assets/1/c...tion_guide.pdf

Anchorlift can supply both metric DIN & imperial ISO chain.
Anchor & Docking Inc
830 NE 24th Lane Unit G
Cape Coral Florida 33909 USA
Phone: + 1 239 770 2030
Fax: +1 239 574 4584
Email: salesusa@anchorlift.com
Web: http://www.anchorlift.com/buy_anchorlift.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 08:23   #3

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Metric chain in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Hi folks,
we're in the Bahamas and shortly (I hope) heading up to the US east coast for the summer, with plans to haul-out/refit in Green Cove Springs at the north end of Florida. High on the 'jobs to-do' list is to replace the anchor chain and windlass gypsy, but looking online this morning, it appears that our Windlass manufacturer (Lewmar) only supply metric sized gypsies; for us that means a 10mm gypsy to suit either DIN 002 or ISO No. 003 chain types.

So, does anyone know what the difference is between these two chain types is and more importantly, can anyone recommend a supplier in the US who could ship me 200 - 250' of it to Florida?

We're a fulltime live-aboard yacht and hanging off our anchor for 300+ nights a year, so whilst price is always a consideration, we're first and foremost looking for good quality chain.
Strange, my windlass is a Lewmar and it takes 5/16" G4 chain. It's stamped on the gypsy. I would check with Lewmar again.

As for shipping chain. that might cost nearly as much as the chain itself. I would try to find chain locally. It will have been shipped in bulk and the cost is built into the retail price.