Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2022, 05:27   #31

Boat: Bavaria 38 Ocean Center Cockpit
Re: Minimal chain for my spare anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timryl View Post
A stronger wife?? Or better and cheaper option, put her on the helm!
The issue is lifting the chain out of its storage location under the V-berth. It takes two people to do that and we need to get it on deck before deploying it.

And yes, under the V-berth is th only practical place on my boat to stow the second anchor and rode.
argold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 05:33   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
In fact, you have been fortunate not to drag the 25-pound anchors on the Chesapeake.
I did not say I never dragged. Maybe 3 times in the decade I have been here. It was good experience, after the first time I put a drag alarm on my phone and tablet. I also have one on my nav system.

BTW: Previously, I was a Puget Sound Sailor in a C&C 34. Back then CQR's were very popular on the sound. But I never dragged there. I seem to recall that I had a Danforth.
Old 30-05-2022, 05:41   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
Keep in mind that any anchor you carry needs to be able to fill in as primary anchor.
In general, this is very good advice. But we don't want to blow our whole cruising kitty on outfitting the boat for a trip to Maine then the Bahamas. I figure that we will be close enough to places where I can find a marina in a day or so of travel and we have lots of experience with the Delta #22 (though on all chain).
Old 30-05-2022, 05:44   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Lots of opinions on anchoring. I'll leave a suggestion based more on logistics. Sailing Maine to the Caribbean is a big step up from the Chesapeake, but it is not like you are setting off on a circumnavigation. Consider your secondary anchor as an anchor for use when using two anchors or as a TEMPORARY primary anchor. There is no need for the secondary anchor to have all chain or to be the ideal primary anchor. If you loose your primary you can use the secondary on a temporary basis. If you have some misfortune with your primary you will be able to source additional chain or an anchor if necessary.
This is where I am at right now.
Old 30-05-2022, 05:49   #35
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timryl View Post
...A stronger wife?? Or better and cheaper option, put her on the helm!

Rather obvious! I've done a lot of cruising with crew that was either very small, not able, or non-existant (singlehanded). Anchoring is one of the easiest one-person jobs. When I did have crew, I let them drive and went to the bow.
Old 30-05-2022, 11:00   #36

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by argold57 View Post
I do have 300' of chain on my primary.

So Yesterday I replaced my primary with a Rocna 20 (44 lb) (Well, almost, I still need to extend the bow roller)

I looked at Fortress for a new second anchor, but I did not really want to spend the money on a second anchor when I have the old Primary and the CQR (which is now a garden decoration). So now I have the Delta #22 as my second anchor, 100 ft of rope and no room anywhere but under the V-berth to stow it. I have not bought chain for the second anchor yet but I'm thinking 40' will be the best amount.

The Rocna has a hole for a Tandem anchor just above the fluke. I had an idea for rigging tandom but not sure if it will help: Put my Delta #22 on the end of the chain and put out a scope of 2, then attach the Rocna to the chain at both the shaft end and the tandem attach point, then put out another 5 times the depth. The #22 delta will have a scope of 7 and the #44 will have a scope of 5. Will the combination give me extra holding power even though they are not matched?
I believe there are threads on tandem anchoring. The consensus is generally negative. Imagine the problems you could have lifting two anchors if something goes wrong. (By the way the hole may be used for tandem anchoring but better it is used for a trip line.) I have never tried it and I have no inclination to do so. Nothing about it seems good to me. If your primary anchor is correctly sized and has enough scope, then that is all that should be needed. That said, the combination you describe should have excellent holding power, IF BOTH anchors set properly. That's a big "IF." As far as your secondary anchor, 40 feet of 5/16 chain is about 40 lbs. (less actually.) Leave the anchor and chain and rope disconnected till out on deck. I have done this before. Best if the chain is in a rugged rubber bag. (I have one made of hypalon, got it at some trade show many years ago.) I'd recommend more than 100 feet of your rope rode if you can. I know you want to save money, but personally I wouldn't sleep well with a 22 lb Delta for your boat if you lose the other. But that's just me.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 11:37   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
(By the way the hole may be used for tandem anchoring but better it is used for a trip line.)
The Rocna has two holes. One for trip and another for tandom.

And I did say I have 300 feet of rope and 300 ft of chain.
Old 30-05-2022, 14:07   #38

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

OK, I was going by this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by argold57 View Post
So now I have the Delta #22 as my second anchor, 100 ft of rope and no room anywhere but under the V-berth to stow it.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 18:38   #39

Thanks to all the respondents!

This has been a good thread and I have learned a lot. Responses got me researching anchoring, techniques, snubbers, and the lot. There is much to learn and as much is art as science. To paraphrase one response: "There is a big difference between Chesapeake weekending/vacation and cruising between Maine and the Bahamas for a year.

Thanks again and I'll keep following any further replies.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:48   #40

We use a fortress as the "second" anchor all weighted rode no chain. It all depends what you want it for. As a 39" centre board we use it as a stern anchor when drying out or to reduce swing in a river, I dont want to be fighting with chain in those situations and abrasions on stone/coral etc isnt an issue.
A second anchor under the matrice in the cabin is not much use, will you ever want to use it then put it away wet and muddy? Much better to have something you can make use of and the fortress is amazing in mud/sand, I wouldn't use it on rock so I dosent really matter to me if it works there!
paul2884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 06:50   #41

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

I've been using a 25# CQR with 15' of 3/8" chain and 250' of 1" nylon rode for the past 30 years as my primary. I have a 12# Navico (aluminum forerunner of the Fortress) with 15' of chain and 400' of 1/2" nylon for a kedge. No windlass. Never a problem. 42' tri, 11,000 lb all cruising gear included.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:47   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Get a Fortress and flat mount it upright to the stern railing - ready to go, and zero interior space taken up. 20ft of chain is enough, if you want to go 40ft, even better (but the bucket gets heavier)
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 16:07   #43

Many 0osts talk about sand and soft nu. Although we sailed to the east coast you had to plan for deap anchor and rocky bottoms.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 17:31   #44

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynara View Post
Many 0osts talk about sand and soft nu. Although we sailed to the east coast you had to plan for deap anchor and rocky bottoms.
I cruise extensively on the east coast and Bahamas and agree you must be prepared for all conditions. That said, my 25# plow, 15' of chain and nylon rode have served me well for 30 years and 30,000 miles.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 22:21   #45
cruiser

Bavaria 40 is a fast boat with minimal rocker. Such leverage is more difficult to pull shank on rode than a fuller keel although lighter displacement.
If anchored and hit by swell of nature or passing vessel such will lift shank alot easier than a vessel with a larger rocker.

Ideally, afford the heaviest chain you can manage to pull shank rather than lift. Like Don above mentioned; scope. You'll need more scope than a fuller keel using same equipment with rode and anchor even though fuller keel is larger displacement.
Chains snap and little rocker if fastened at bow point will make a fast velocity snap on short scope chain. Look into a bridle and utilise gunnel eyes or at very least hook up a shock cord to reduce that snap.
Retirement home is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor