Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 16:42   #136

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak
Re: Mooring Etiquette : Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Raft-ups are common practice in a lot of areas. They are necessary to get more boats in a smaller anchorage. If you open your eyes you will see one in the pictures posted above. Like I said before there are conditions that would make rafting-up ill advised. Sorry you missed it.
I believe most of those boats are on anchor in that pic. Sir, you are not convincing anyone of the experience behind your unusual opinions on anchoring etiquette!
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 16:47   #137

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Not sure I understand this thread. W.t.f. is "crowded anchorage"??????
Haha. Some of you should zip down to Marlborough Sounds. Yes, even the yanks. Need more yotties. Not the Aucklanders though.

Oh yeah that's right, it happens at Furneaux, only on New Years. A bit crowded, that is. And maybe the Hopai Sports Day on Jan 6th. All welcome.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 17:29   #138

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

ScottyK, those are nothing!

Try Smokehouse bay (GBI) during the Christmas madness... we did it once, just to experience a "cultural experience". Made some new friends by the Braile method!

Jim
Old 02-11-2016, 17:59   #139

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
When the swinging circles don't overlap it's not a problem. To prevent sailing at anchor just anchor from the stern. I never anchor from the bow anymore.
If there's so much room that swinging circles don't overlap, then why would you need to conserve space? Maybe you can show us some photos of this "common practice" -- you must have some from your "thousands of nights at anchor".

In fact of course this is nonsense. Even in relatively uncrowded anchorages it is quite normal to drop the anchor in line with the stern of the next boat ahead, and offset to the side. That is how they teach it in sailing schools:

Click image for larger version

Name:	where-to-drop-your-anchor-1024x576.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	134751

The reason for that is that the overlap of swinging circles is only about 50%, which is enough room for even quite different boats with quite different scope, to swing safely.

Then in really crowded places like in the BVI, you do something like this:

Name:	BVCrowd-1-rdcd.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	134752

If anyone seriously tried to avoid any overlap at all, the space taken up by each boat would be enormous. 5:1 in 5 meters of water gives gives you a swinging circle of about 60 meters or 200 feet in diameter. It means boats would have to be spaced 200 feet apart. Spacing them 100 feet apart with 50% overlap, which is very generous and safe spacing, quadruples the number of boats which can fit in a given anchorage. 50 feet apart also works fine provided you keep boats of different types apart, and scope is similar.

That's in 5 meters of water. With big tides like we have here, it becomes more complicated because the scope changes with the tide, and we have to let out enough chain to leave us with adequate scope at high tide, but 15 meters to the next boat is usually still quite ok.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 18:35   #140
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mooring Etiquette : Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If there's so much room that swinging circles don't overlap, then why would you need to conserve space? Maybe you can show us some photos of this "common practice" -- you must have some from your "thousands of nights at anchor".

In fact of course this is nonsense. Even in relatively uncrowded anchorages it is quite normal to drop the anchor in line with the stern of the next boat ahead, and offset to the side. That is how they teach it in sailing schools:

Attachment 134751

The reason for that is that the overlap of swinging circles is only about 50%, which is enough room for even quite different boats with quite different scope, to swing safely.

Attachment 134752

If anyone seriously tried to avoid any overlap at all, the space taken up by each boat would be enormous. 5:1 in 5 meters of water gives gives you a swinging circle of about 60 meters or 200 feet in diameter. It means boats would have to be spaced 200 feet apart. Spacing them 100 feet apart with 50% overlap, which is very generous and safe spacing, quadruples the number of boats which can fit in a given anchorage. 50 feet apart also works fine provided you keep boats of different types apart, and scope is similar.

That's in 5 meters of water. With big tides like we have here, it becomes more complicated because the scope changes with the tide, and we have to let out enough chain to leave us with adequate scope at high tide, but 15 meters to the next boat is usually still quite ok.
You can lead a horse to water.. but you can't make them drink.
Vaguely remember someone on here a few years back putting forth the anchor stern to technique.. till they tried a windy weekend in Studland Bay.. needless stress on the rudder.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 18:50   #141

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Attachment 134751

Attachment 134752

Must be the "new math".
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 18:51   #142

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Years ago I had been in communication with Don Jordan (of the mini-drogues) and he had commented about how much better boats ride to anchor stern-to. I had offered that the exposed rudder was a bad idea, and he responded that the forces were quite small because there was very little water movement - lashing amidships would be sufficient. I never tried it. It would certainly expose the cockpit, and below when the hatch is opened, to the weather. It would also be much more difficult to recover the anchor, or even motor off a lee shore should the anchor drag. Reversing into a stern anchor rode could get ugly real fast. In the real world a bad idea IMHO.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 18:54   #143

A raft-up. For professional use only. Please don't try this at home.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1377.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	134757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1376.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	134758  

Old 02-11-2016, 18:56   #144

Quote:
Not my idea of cruising boats. Is this your experience?

Greg
Old 02-11-2016, 19:02   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Years ago I had been in communication with Don Jordan (of the mini-drogues) and he had commented about how much better boats ride to anchor stern-to. I had offered that the exposed rudder was a bad idea, and he responded that the forces were quite small because there was very little water movement - lashing amidships would be sufficient. I never tried it. It would certainly expose the cockpit, and below when the hatch is opened, to the weather. It would also be much more difficult to recover the anchor, or even motor off a lee shore should the anchor drag. Reversing into a stern anchor rode could get ugly real fast. In the real world a bad idea IMHO.

Greg
Don Jordan is correct and the math supports his opinion. Wives tales die hard. Dinosaurs once traveled the earth in large numbers, apparently there are some left.
Old 02-11-2016, 19:08   #146

Quote:
Not my idea of cruising boats. Is this your experience?

Greg
It's my favorite of the two. Its been to Maine, Narragansett Bay, Block Island, Barnegat Bay, Chesapeake Bay, Outer Banks NC, Key West, Dry Tortugas and a whole lot more places. If you like sailing, small boats are the most fun IMHO.
Old 02-11-2016, 19:09   #147

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Appears to be ten vessels rafted there, all depending upon one rope rode that is stretched out pretty taught in what appear to be mill pond conditions.

yep, pretty professional...

but km, we all know what a raft up is, but we don't agree that they are the solution to crowded anchorages. Those pictures do nothing to support that idea, for they depict a calm weather afternoon raft of small boats, not an overnight anchorage in crappy weather situation such as the OP was describing.

Oh, BTW, what is it that I am unprettyly supposed to be jealous of? I'll admit to being not very pretty, but I'm not a jealous type in general. Could you please explain that accusation?

Jim
Old 02-11-2016, 19:10   #148

Quote:
Don Jordan is correct and the math supports his opinion.
I don't doubt at all that it would work, and the rudder would be fine. My experience tells me that getting out of that position, especially singlehanded, would be far more difficult. If the anchor dragged I would be facing the wrong direction to avoid the lee shore. Backing up while trying to recover a rope rode would be fraught to say the least. And it would be unpleasant in heavy weather to stand an anchor watch.

Which is to say that technically it would work great, but in the real world it would be a really bad idea.

Greg
Old 02-11-2016, 19:20   #149

Quote:
I don't doubt at all that it would work, and the rudder would be fine. My experience tells me that getting out of that position, especially singlehanded, would be far more difficult. If the anchor dragged I would be facing the wrong direction to avoid the lee shore. Backing up while trying to recover a rope rode would be fraught to say the least. And it would be unpleasant in heavy weather to stand an anchor watch.

Which is to say that technically it would work great, but in the real world it would be a really bad idea.

Greg
Leave a little more distance to the lee shore. For most occasions it's not necessary to anchor from the stern for some of the reasons you state. In hurricane conditions it has proved to work well and should be used in those conditions.
Old 02-11-2016, 19:27   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Appears to be ten vessels rafted there, all depending upon one rope rode that is stretched out pretty taught in what appear to be mill pond conditions.

yep, pretty professional...

but km, we all know what a raft up is, but we don't agree that they are the solution to crowded anchorages. Those pictures do nothing to support that idea, for they depict a calm weather afternoon raft of small boats, not an overnight anchorage in crappy weather situation such as the OP was describing.

Oh, BTW, what is it that I am unprettyly supposed to be jealous of? I'll admit to being not very pretty, but I'm not a jealous type in general. Could you please explain that accusation?

Jim
Jim, I'm not looking for your or anyone else's agreement. I just stated what has worked for me. If you don't like it don't do it. As for the original post, I said he was wrong not to move along with several others. We will just have to disagree on it.

Eleven boats, not ten. Can't you get anything right? It's like you ran out of digits.

Tags
mooring