Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 11:09   #241
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Mooring Etiquette : Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Are you Guys still feeding the Troll?

Actually, I suppose that he's worth putting up with/ignoring for the sake of a half decent thread.

Having just anchored at the top of North River – east side of the ICW, just before it turns into the narrow/wiggly bit going up to Coinjock – in 20-25 knot N/NNE winds that're forecast to increase by another ten knots at least over the next few hours, I'm reminded of another anchoring point that is very much self-inflicted: The 'herd instinct'.

As we pulled into here, we followed two other yachts in who'd possibly had a similar thought to us (Will the Alligator River Bridge open in these winds?) and there was one yacht already anchored when we arrived; we're now sat securely on 60m/200' of chain in 3m/10' water. This is an anchorage that'd accommodate 500+ yachts and even if you held to the belief that 'no swinging circle should ever intersect', you could still fit 50-100 boats in here.

Whilst the nearest of the other three yachts is perhaps ¼ mile away on our port beam, the other three are sat together in a group that probably covers no more than a 150m/500' circle. They're all well clear of each other and I'm sure they're well dug in with plenty of scope; the holding appears to be solid so there's no risk in their positions, but given the available space and the likelyhood that we'll not have more than another half dozen boats – more likely none – joining us during the day, why do we feel the need to group up? It's not even as if there's a bar or open wifi ashore that you might want/need to get close to.
Same thing happened to me just north of there when I was heading south. Came out of a long canal just before sunset (just like we planned ) and pulled away from the channel to anchor close to the shoreline on the east side of the river. The shoreline was several miles long with the same depths and bottom and not a single other boat. BUT 30 minutes after we anchored another boat comes out of the canal, pulls over and anchors about 75 meters away. Oh well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:05   #242
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Same thing happened to me just north of there when I was heading south. Came out of a long canal just before sunset (just like we planned ) and pulled away from the channel to anchor close to the shoreline on the east side of the river. The shoreline was several miles long with the same depths and bottom and not a single other boat. BUT 30 minutes after we anchored another boat comes out of the canal, pulls over and anchors about 75 meters away. Oh well.
People love to get into a line.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 13:41   #243

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
This happens to us all the time. I guess it's the herd mentality. Very irritating.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 13:52   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I see in your signature that you have a Rocna 10. I have the same anchor for my Capri 22. Are you sure it's big enough for a 34 footer?
Yes, I am. I sized the anchoring system, as noted in the link.

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Why Swivels are a bad idea Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels

It worked for me for 18 years. I have recently moved our boat from SF to Vancouver Island. I will need to reevaluate my gear.

Your means and methods of "conversation" leave a lot to be desired. Man, I've been on boating forums for 15 years and would never resort to telling someone else that their gear should be questioned in quite the way you just did.

You know, like I could have said: BTW, your anchor is oversized for your boat.

But I didn't.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 14:43   #245
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
People love to get into a line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
This happens to us all the time. I guess it's the herd mentality. Very irritating.
All the above I think are a part of it but my theory is a lot of people are unsure of their anchoring and think "if that guy is anchored over there then that must be where I should be".
Old 07-11-2016, 14:46   #246

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
All the above I think are a part of it but my theory is a lot of people are unsure of their anchoring and think "if that guy is anchored over there then that must be where I should be".
Alternatively: the depth and holding must be good over there.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 15:55   #247

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

There is actually a lot of very good natured and common-sense advice exchanged between the volleys. Though common-sense is anything but common, these fora seem the exception. My thanks to the gentle cruisers.

I particularly liked Don C L's and Jim Cate's methods of entering a crowded anchorage by making radio or verbal contact, asking the right questions and giving assurances.

I am surprised that no one actually posted the definition of the term, 'etiquette', though Don, Jim and a few others demonstrated it in their actions. So, with that in mind, was the OP asking about 'Mooring Etiquette', rhetorically?

...and before you ask, yes; this is a sincere question. By the way things have gone, I'm not sure he understands. That's no dig. Just trying to grok.
Old 07-11-2016, 16:55   #248

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Sorry Stu. I was just going by the manufacturers recommendations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pounds.png
Views:	110
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	135398  
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 18:37   #249
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Of course it is. That's why I anchored there.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:52   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Of course you could be anchoring next to someone who has no idea what they're doing in the worst spot possible. We cruised in a 26' sharpie with a 15" draft for about 10 years. There were plenty of times when people made the mistake of trying to anchor next to us.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:59   #251
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Of course you could be anchoring next to someone who has no idea what they're doing in the worst spot possible. We cruised in a 26' sharpie with a 15" draft for about 10 years. There were plenty of times when people made the mistake of trying to anchor next to us.
I learned to sail on a Morgan OI 36 that drew about 3'6". In addition to anchoring in shallow spots it also surprised a few people that tried to follow me up a shallow channel.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:17   #252

We got so tired of people anchoring & then ending up on top of our anchor or rode that we started attaching a float to the anchor. It seems to help although there are some that are just oblivious.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:31   #253

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

You may have to resort to a float with a Diver Down flag.
Quote:
We got so tired of people anchoring & then ending up on top of our anchor or rode that we started attaching a float to the anchor. It seems to help although there are some that are just oblivious.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:22   #254
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You guys have me worried, I try to avoid crowds like the plague.
Funny thing is, they always anchor in the same spot, doesn't matter at all if its a lee shore. Its the anchoring spot you know.
I never anchor within 100 yds of someone, and if someone anchors close to me, I move. I have lots of rode and can accept a less than ideal depth and spot to be by myself.

I guess I will have to learn to live with people on top of me, but I'm not looking forward to that.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:36   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You guys have me worried, I try to avoid crowds like the plague.
Funny thing is, they always anchor in the same spot, doesn't matter at all if its a lee shore. Its the anchoring spot you know.
I never anchor within 100 yds of someone, and if someone anchors close to me, I move. I have lots of rode and can accept a less than ideal depth and spot to be by myself.

I guess I will have to learn to live with people on top of me, but I'm not looking forward to that.
Good plan but not always practical unless you limit yourself to truly isolated locations. The problem is that rules out a lot of great areas and may force you to do an offshore passage when you might prefer day hops.

Example: If you are going up and down the ICW, there are areas where all the decent anchorages in an area are crowded. There is no reasonable anchorage where you can anchor 100m from any other boat...and as described, there is nothing to stop the next boat in from anchoring 50m from you, so even in an isolated anchorage, you can't count on 100m open space.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring