Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 12:39   #316

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Mooring Etiquette : Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard60 View Post
Clearly you do not travel with your significant other <LOL>.. flk k
I do sometimes. She doesn't read the forum though.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 13:13   #317

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
See Sanderos excellent post above. ASK. It's always a good approach to putter around the anchorage, scope it out, talk to people, before choosing a spot.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I usually ask them where their anchor is. That's much more useful knowledge than asking their scope.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 13:26   #318

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I usually ask them where their anchor is. That's much more useful knowledge than asking their scope.
Don, in stronger winds I might have a decent idea where my anchor is (other than at the end of the chain!), but in other conditions, I really have no idea. With chain rode and light and variable winds, one tends to lie to loops in the chain, not to the anchor, and the bloody thing can be just about anywhere within the possible swinging circle.

Knowing this, I usually ask how much chain because I really doubt if the other guys really know where their hook is lying!

But, any info is better than none, and a friendly, concerned contact with folks who share the anchorage is always a good thing.

Jim
Old 11-11-2016, 13:53   #319

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Don, in stronger winds I might have a decent idea where my anchor is (other than at the end of the chain!), but in other conditions, I really have no idea. With chain rode and light and variable winds, one tends to lie to loops in the chain, not to the anchor, and the bloody thing can be just about anywhere within the possible swinging circle.
That's where a smartphone/tablet app like Anchor Alert comes in useful. It tells me how far away my anchor is and in what direction.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 14:13   #320

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That's where a smartphone/tablet app like Anchor Alert comes in useful. It tells me how far away my anchor is and in what direction.
I usually let my navigation app plot my route. I leave it on for few minutes after I have anchored. I can then see from the drawn path where I came from, where I dropped the anchor, where I backed up next, and how much I moved during the first few minutes.

If I open the navigation app later, I can see if I have moved (usually it is not plotting any more, but I can see where the boat is now), if the wind is pushing me in a new direction, and where the anchor is. I'll set also anchor alerts if I have any doubts about the holding power of the anchor.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 14:25   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Good point, Stu, and it shows how tradition directed my thinking is! In fact, my Vesper Vision AIS anchor watch function does the same thing, and I often use it as a dragging alarm... but I didn't remember that it too gives range and bearing to (where it thinks) the anchor is.

On Insatiable ii, the gps antenna (in the Vesper) is in the cockpit, some 35 feet from the bow, and this leads to some minor discrepancies in anchor location. I use track data to fine tune the position after a while when it is important (hazard to leeward, etc), but I surely should use it to answer the "where's your hook?" question when asked.

Thanks for making me think about this!

Jim
Old 11-11-2016, 15:40   #322
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think Vesper will soon fix it so that you can put a distance from anchor to antenna in so it will correct for that.
Not sure where I read that though.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 16:17   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think Vesper will soon fix it so that you can put a distance from anchor to antenna in so it will correct for that.
Not sure where I read that though.
Vesper have been unusually responsive to user requests in the past, so Isuspect that you are correct... one of the reasons I paid the extra money to buy one of their units.

Jim
Old 11-11-2016, 16:49   #324
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Same here Jim.....Service trumps hype
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 16:58   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Swinging to 'within 40 feet ' is not 'right on top of'. You really should try and get out more.
"WITHIN 40 feet" means less than 40 feet. It could be 40 thousandths of an inch....

Anyway. 40 feet is bloody close.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:36   #326

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Enjoyed many good thoughtful posts, and a few silly ones, on this subject. Something I try to do, and I do mean try, is allow an anchoring skipper to drop his hook before I show my displeasure of where he dropped it! Certain nationalities seem to be quick to run to the bow while the other boat is struggling to find a spot in a tight anchorage. Of course they often have a too small speedo bathing suit on and have their hands on their hips making what a friend calls "bitch wings" while showing their displeasure while you try and gauge the situation! I prefer to allow the anchoring boat to get settled to his scope and conditions before letting him know I think he is too close if he doesn't realize it himself.
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:13   #327

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

"...cruise by and if anyone is on deck I ask them what scope they have out. I've been surprised be the number of boats that simply don't know how much rode they have out..."

I've found that quite often too; though one of the things experience has taught us is how to ask the question in six different languages, it's up there with hello/goodbye/yes/no/please/thankyou/two beers as one of the key-phrase to learn.

There were several posts about following boats zooming-in and snagging your intended spot and someone, Barra or ScottUK? Referred to such a thing in Canna off the west of Scotland, that raised a memorable smile, perhaps we met the same boat? We were manouvering slowly in that very anchorage perhaps 12-14 years ago, edging to windward with the anchor already dangling when another yacht chopped in across our starboard bow doing perhas 4-5 five knots whilst shouting that he was "stand-on vessel and we needed to give way"; we'd no option, it was either swerve port or t-bone him. Whilst regaining our composure and muttering a few choice phrases, we watched said yacht swing his own bow around and continue on directly toward our chosen spot for perhaps five to six seconds, before he went hard aground; there was a well charted shallow area that our 4' draft comfortably cleared even at low tide, but obviously not his 6-7'; kharma does sometimes work
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 14:21   #328

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
"...cruise by and if anyone is on deck I ask them what scope they have out. I've been surprised be the number of boats that simply don't know how much rode they have out..."

I've found that quite often too; though one of the things experience has taught us is how to ask the question in six different languages, it's up there with hello/goodbye/yes/no/please/thankyou/two beers as one of the key-phrase to learn.

There were several posts about following boats zooming-in and snagging your intended spot and someone, Barra or ScottUK? Referred to such a thing in Canna off the west of Scotland, that raised a memorable smile, perhaps we met the same boat? We were manouvering slowly in that very anchorage perhaps 12-14 years ago, edging to windward with the anchor already dangling when another yacht chopped in across our starboard bow doing perhas 4-5 five knots whilst shouting that he was "stand-on vessel and we needed to give way"; we'd no option, it was either swerve port or t-bone him. Whilst regaining our composure and muttering a few choice phrases, we watched said yacht swing his own bow around and continue on directly toward our chosen spot for perhaps five to six seconds, before he went hard aground; there was a well charted shallow area that our 4' draft comfortably cleared even at low tide, but obviously not his 6-7'; kharma does sometimes work
Thanks for the chuckle. Two questions: Was the tide going out? Did you swing by to ask, "Is everyone alright?" and offer well wishes?
Old 12-11-2016, 15:15   #329

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Knowing this, I usually ask how much chain because I really doubt if the other guys really know where their hook is lying!

But, any info is better than none, and a friendly, concerned contact with folks who share the anchorage is always a good thing.

Jim
Yeah, I might be asking too much of some folks with that... but it's just one of those things I think folks oughta know... I don't use anything electronic yet, I just take a rough fix between landmarks or some other angulation and range so I know within 10 or 15 feet or so where it is in case I have an issue of some sort....
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 15:53   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yeah, I might be asking too much of some folks with that... but it's just one of those things I think folks oughta know... I don't use anything electronic yet, I just take a rough fix between landmarks or some other angulation and range so I know within 10 or 15 feet or so where it is in case I have an issue of some srt....
If you can locate your anchor's position within 10 or 15 feet that way, you are a MUCH better judge than I am... good onya!

But still, you really need to know how much rode they have deployed, even if they have an anchor buoy which precisely locates their anchor for you. Why? because you can't know if their rode is stretched out straight or is lying in loops, laid down as the boat wanders in light conditions. If it is blowing harder, it is a reasonable assumption that it is straight or nearly so, but not otherwise.

Anyhow, just making the contact is a good start to joining the anchored fleet.

Jim

Tags
mooring