Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 08:33   #121

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Mooring Etiquette : Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
They swing differently and interfere with other boats. Besides that, much greater risk of dragging. That's why it's not done in crowded anchorages except by inexperienced charterers on flotilla holidays.

It's never done to "save space in a crowded anchorage". You just made that up.

We have to give you credit for creativity, however, I must say.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
When the swinging circles don't overlap it's not a problem. To prevent sailing at anchor just anchor from the stern. I never anchor from the bow anymore.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:47   #122

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I never anchor from the bow anymore.
Ok I hate to join this love fest, but really?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:06   #123

It's true Don. No kidding!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:28   #124
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
It's true Don. No kidding!
I've got to believe that sucks in a storm, or even on a rainy day. With a dodger, you can leave everything open in the rain, very nice. And then there is the whole matter of waves.

OK on a nice day, for you, but not as a general practice.

And yes, this almost always stops sailing. He's right about that.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:29   #125
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Perhaps you might consider a riding sail to reduce sailing at anchor.

I am part of the school that says you were too close. Your actions suggest that you knew this to be the case. As to the idea of rafting to get more boats into an area, we have been in many dozens of anchorages all over the world and have never seen this other than for socializing where the rafts break up before dark.
Yup, this summer friends we were cruising with rafted up for the afternoon in the middle of Sodus Bay (south east shore Lake Ontario). We were the only ones there. They bay is about 1 mile in diameter (guessing from memory).

As we were about to turn in, friends asked if they could stay rafted to us. all my experience was telling me, "politely ask they break off". But it was late, dark, we'd had plenty of dark and stormies, and I asked myself, "would I want to break off and anchor right now?" I told them it would be OK to stay rafted.

The weather was dead calm as forecast.

About 5 am, I awoke suddenly from a very deep slumber, to the boat heaving and the terrible sound of splintering fibreglass.

I threw on a bathing suit and raced out of the companionway to see the stern of a charter fishing boat running about 6 knots, pushing about 4 feet of bow wave, with their wake centre that came within 10 feet of our boat.

When the wave hit, our boat heaved up, breaking a bronze fender shackle from the aluminum toerail, heeled to the wave passing under, and then came down on our hull side onto our friends aluminum toe rail that was now coming up, on the same wave.

We now have a hard point spider fracture about 12" diameter, and several longitudinal hairline cracks about 4 feet long, in the side of our hull that I Awlgripped 6 years ago.

Fortunately, we always ensure our spreaders are well staggered when we raft up, else we could have both been dismasted.

I can do the repairs no problem, but any time I spend working on my boat is lost opportunity working on others at rate.

Including the fibreglass and Awlgrip repair (which is tricky enough in itself without painting the whole hull side) this is about a $2000 to $2500 touch.

If I had my wits about me, I would have got the name off the stern and reported the vessel to the Coast Guard. There was easily a 1/4 mile of open water on all sides of us. There was absolutely no reason to come that close pushing that much water.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:40   #126
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Yup, this summer friends we were cruising with rafted up for the afternoon in the middle of Sodus Bay (south east shore Lake Ontario). We were the only ones there. They bay is about 1 mile in diameter (guessing from memory).

As we were about to turn in, friends asked if they could stay rafted to us. all my experience was telling me, "politely ask they break off". But it was late, dark, we'd had plenty of dark and stormies, and I asked myself, "would I want to break off and anchor right now?" I told them it would be OK to stay rafted.

The weather was dead calm as forecast.

About 5 am, I awoke suddenly from a very deep slumber, to the boat heaving and the terrible sound of splintering fibreglass.

I threw on a bathing suit and raced out of the companionway to see the stern of a charter fishing boat running about 6 knots, pushing about 4 feet of bow wave, with their wake centre that came within 10 feet of our boat.

When the wave hit, our boat heaved up, breaking a bronze fender shackle from the aluminum toerail, heeled to the wave passing under, and then came down on our hull side onto our friends aluminum toe rail that was now coming up, on the same wave.

We now have a hard point spider fracture about 12" diameter, and several longitudinal hairline cracks about 4 feet long, in the side of our hull that I Awlgripped 6 years ago.

Fortunately, we always ensure our spreaders are well staggered when we raft up, else we could have both been dismasted.

I can do the repairs no problem, but any time I spend working on my boat is lost opportunity working on others at rate.

Including the fibreglass and Awlgrip repair (which is tricky enough in itself without painting the whole hull side) this is about a $2000 to $2500 touch.

If I had my wits about me, I would have got the name off the stern and reported the vessel to the Coast Guard. There was easily a 1/4 mile of open water on all sides of us. There was absolutely no reason to come that close pushing that much water.
I suspect they would counter argue in court that being rafted is inherently risky behavior and that it was not a no-wake zone. Some division of responsibility I imagine. After fees and time, not worth it.

I find rafting nerve racking. I'll just anchor nearby and dinghy over. Plus I want to leave when I want to.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:59   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I've got to believe that sucks in a storm, or even on a rainy day. With a dodger, you can leave everything open in the rain, very nice. And then there is the whole matter of waves.

OK on a nice day, for you, but not as a general practice.

And yes, this almost always stops sailing. He's right about that.
You get a lot more breeze thru the cabin anchored from the stern also.
Huge fenders are a must when rafting and you wouldn't want to do it in an area with heavy thru traffic.
See you in Dunn Cove sometime.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:25   #128

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
1) You parked so close you felt the need to stand watch.
2) There was other space available.

That tells me you parked too close and you admit it.

Your son was right, you should have apologized and moved further away.
valhalla has summed up precisely my take on the situation.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:37   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
1) You parked so close you felt the need to stand watch.
2) There was other space available.

That tells me you parked too close and you admit it.

Your son was right, you should have apologized and moved further away.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 02-11-2016, 14:54   #130

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Due to anchoring concerns I did not attempt a circumnavigation for my 73rd straight year.
We have certainly endured a raft up on this thread, and many tangled lines as a result. People, not just boats, are swinging in circles, and dragging heavy weights down twisty rodes. This is going to require a complete wash down to eliminate the mud and muck. Fortunately, we are buoyed and enjoy a common mooring in a safe harbor. In the end I did learn about the La Paz waltz, but not much else.

As with much in life, the problem is too many people and beef, but not enough buffalo.
Old 02-11-2016, 16:02   #131
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Ha, "great minds think alike". I do exactly the same thing, except I never thought of the second VRM. Now that you've given me the idea . . . .
The other prep I do with the radar is to offset the 2 EBL's as parallel index lines to escape an anchorage at night....either on purpose or for emergencies.

This gives me the heading out and the safe turn track and distance from dangers.

While the GPS/ECS reinforces it,
the Radar confirms it.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 16:07   #132

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Due to anchoring concerns I did not attempt a circumnavigation for my 73rd straight year.

We have certainly endured a raft up on this thread, and many tangled lines as a result. People, not just boats, are swinging in circles, and dragging heavy weights down twisty rodes. This is going to require a complete wash down to eliminate the mud and muck. Fortunately, we are buoyed and enjoy a common mooring in a safe harbor. In the end I did learn about the La Paz waltz, but not much else.

As with much in life, the problem is too many people and beef, but not enough buffalo.

Well said[emoji106]
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 16:23   #133

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Stay away from me if you want to avoid spider cracks. Pictured sailors do it right.

Old 02-11-2016, 16:26   #134

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
the Radar confirms it.
Words to live by
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 16:33   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
The other prep I do with the radar is to offset the 2 EBL's as parallel index lines to escape an anchorage at night....either on purpose or for emergencies.

This gives me the heading out and the safe turn track and distance from dangers.

the Radar confirms it.
Great use of radar. Thanks for sharing.

Tags
mooring