Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2021, 11:30   #31
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Mooring Gear vs Henri

OP, I would definitely replace your anchor roller. Stainless steel doesn't really take well to bending and you'll probably not get it back in the original shape.

Our anchor roller has a bail over the top of the ears. This may not completely prevent any catching of the rode on the roller in a similar situation, but it would help. You can buy various configurations, or like the other fella said, a removable pin.

I am interested in the use of the U-bolt near the water line. We have one, very strong, but I haven't been able to figure out how to use it when anchoring or mooring and still be able to freely adjust the rode or take in the anchor at will.

Any ideas?

And what is a Hazlett snubber?
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:58   #32

Boat: Presto 36
Re: Mooring Gear vs Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
I know this sounds strange, but years ago, I would route my lines through the roller and wrap with a thick towel, as chafe gear. I would bind the towel up with clothes pins and hold it in position. It would run from a foot or so in front of the roller to a bit more, aft of the roller, and the cleat was right there, limiting any stretch. This was my standard procedure, but before you laugh, understand that this always held up (and I was never at a dock), including going through the eye of a Cat 1/2 hurricane (Marty, 2003). I live aboard, so always kept a close eye on things, including during Marty, but it worked amazingly well. The clump of towel completely filled the roller trough and immediately outside, so the line never touched anything. Whenever I read of elaborate and highly technical solutions, I am always reminded of this one. Worked well for years.
I still use towels, wrapped around each of my 1" lines as they go across the 6" dia. anchor rollers, on either side of my bow sprit and tied with plastic ties to secure them. In a hurricane, the towels stay drenched with rain and subsequently prevent the main source of mooring line degradation, which is heat. I have never seen any evidence of line chafe or heating using this method.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, mooring