Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2008, 05:02   #1

Mooring rates

With real estates prices falling through the floor almost everywhere, I was wondering what sailors expect to see when they pay for mooring or docking.

On the one hand it seems that the under lying value of the real estate has nothing to do with the "service" charged for using that real estate.

Some areas are seeing "rents" rise as people move from expensive and "frightening" ownship (delflating equity) to short term "manageable" rents.

Should the falling tide of real estate bring all ships down a bit? Or no?

What do you expect this coming season? (the yard where I winter store HIKED rates and has few stored there.... certainly they are not packed in like sardines).

Any thoughts?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 06:38   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I pay $800 per month for a 50' slip. That doesn't include utilities but it does include pump-out service. And there's a wait list for such slips in Sausalito.
Old 19-12-2008, 09:26   #3

We just received our renewal form for our mooring rental. $50.00 ft. + tax (5%) for the summer. The town also charges a fee for usage of the mooring, whether you own it or not. Does not include dinghy dock usage, which is another $300. Went up a bit from last year.
sopwith camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 11:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I was wondering what sailors expect to see when they pay for mooring or docking.
Most sailors expect less but pay more. We pay $85 / month. It will go up $5 in January so I guess we keep the boat and just pay the extra $5. At the Yacht Club we had a huge increase in insurance so I'm afraid it cuts across all types of marinas. Insurance prices will clearly be driving the cost of boating a lot higher than normal inflation.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 11:30   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
My observation is used boat prices have come down due to the economy, but all those boats still need to be stored somewhere, so there is just as much demand for storage, moorage and dockage as ever and this results in steady or increasing prices in those areas.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 12:01   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
With real estates prices falling through the floor almost everywhere, I was wondering what sailors expect to see when they pay for mooring or docking.

On the one hand it seems that the under lying value of the real estate has nothing to do with the "service" charged for using that real estate.

Some areas are seeing "rents" rise as people move from expensive and "frightening" ownship (delflating equity) to short term "manageable" rents.

Should the falling tide of real estate bring all ships down a bit? Or no?

What do you expect this coming season? (the yard where I winter store HIKED rates and has few stored there.... certainly they are not packed in like sardines).

Any thoughts?
That is a pretty broad question to answer. the rates in the Chesapeake in many places are half or better than rates in south Florida. For slips we have paid $800.00 per month and $250.00 per month and all prices in between. For moorings we have paid $40.00 per month up to $250.00 per month.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 12:43   #7

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
I am paying 1400.00 to keep the boat in the water at a floating dock (from Nov.- Apr.). The boat is is in Mount Sinai Harbor, Long Island NY. That works out to be about 240 dollars a month.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 13:29   #8

The thread was aimed at what you salts feel will be the trend in mooring fees as the economy cools way down? Will you see rates in YOUR area hold, slip or continue to ascend?

I know last summer lots of power boats were not put in the water because of the fuel prices and so there were slips available.

Now fuel is down but so is disposable income and credit and this may also put the kabosh on many boaters and free up mooring space which could lead to a drop in prices. Wishful thinking?

Imagine when fuel creeps up again and the economy continues to slip... I am sure recreational boating will take a huge hit. What say you?

My rates went up 20% for in wet storage to about $1700 from nov - may and I am 30 miles west of Mount Sinai Harbor.
Old 19-12-2008, 13:37   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41
One thing I've noticed is that there are more slips available in the SF Bay Area. It was very difficulat toget a slip in places like Berkley but now even bigger slips are available. I don't know what happened to the boats that were in them before but when supply is down the marinas usually make a deal to get you in before they drop prices.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 13:42   #10

We traveled the US coast from Houston Texas to Beaufort South Carolina form May to November and although not scientific we saw a tremendous amount of boats on the water and at that time fuel was $5.00 per gallon at least. Here is an example in the Florida Panhandle

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00524a.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	6358

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 19-12-2008, 17:02   #11

Boat: Sceptre 41
Funny on SF Bay I remeber being out and not seeing a single power boat out on the water. Usually you see a few. More sailboats though.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 18:23   #12

At work we are bidding on a some aspect of the largest superyacht being built in the USA. I checked the specs - it carries 97,000 gallons of fuel! I guess those guys have plenty of money to burn... oh and it serves 14 which includes the owner and staff of 24 plus 2 crew.
Old 19-12-2008, 23:53   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Our marina in Alameda, CA has suddenly developed a few empty slips. Marina has been full for the last 2 years till about the last six months. Not time for marina owners to panic yet but a few slips are opening up. Monthly rent is $317 for a 40' slip.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 15:35   #14

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I pay about $300 month in NJ for my summer slip and about 1/2 that for winter storage. a total of $450 month for a 12 month deal. Prices went up this year....no deals were offered...No vacancies seen....at my marina

Tempest
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 15:40   #15

Whether the economy is bad or not the boats are still around, they have not all been sunk for insurance as rumors have it. They need to be somewhere so I don't see and mass exodus of slips and as long as there is demand the price is not going to come down. Even if a normally full marina suddenly has a few slips available it is highly unlikely they will lower their rates.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek

Tags
mooring