Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2017, 18:06   #1

Mooring Rod Construction

Hello,

New to the forum, but have been reading on here for a while. I was recently given a used 24 inch mooring ball, but the center rod is missing. I was wondering if anyone knew what I would need to make a new center rod for it. My boat is only on a lake in a pretty sheltered area, but i needed a new ball and this one was free so I don't really want to spend 75 on a new one from taylor made. What I was thinking was something like this: https://www.sailorsams.com/Ace-Round...ys_p_6443.html

except maybe with a threaded rod. I don't have many stores around me a home depot, and lowes and a few small marinas. I have a friend who is a welder just not sure what I need at this point.
travis2090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 21:28   #2

Re: Mooring Rod Construction

Your post shows the correct item required, if you make your own try not to use threaded rod as it can cause issues under load once corroded, you really only want the thread at the very top, if you know a good welder then a straight rod with eyes welded on would work, just weld at the top end of the eye.

Look for old telephone poles with there cables as quite often have long galvanized bolts or similar that could be adapted

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 06:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
Your post shows the correct item required, if you make your own try not to use threaded rod as it can cause issues under load once corroded, you really only want the thread at the very top, if you know a good welder then a straight rod with eyes welded on would work, just weld at the top end of the eye.

Look for old telephone poles with there cables as quite often have long galvanized bolts or similar that could be adapted

Cheers Steve

Thanks Steve good to know about the threaded rod. at the bottom what do i use to attach the swivel to the rod? It looks like just some bent wire do you know what gauge that needs to be?
Old 25-07-2017, 07:53   #4

Have been giving some thought and if your buoy has enough room (large hole) then just use some chain as below link:

http://www.barrplastics.com/assets/i...type_fotor.jpg

This way the swivel can be connected to the chain at the bottom and a large washer and eye bolt /shackle at the top,

If you have to go the solid rod/bolt way its needs to be a large diameter 1/2" minimum but larger if possible, my suggestion here was to weld an eye on top and bottom (or threaded both ends with eye bolt) and nuts then use lock tight thread locker or peen the end of the rod so the nut cant come undone, then simple mater of using shackles to connect the swivels, when using any shackle they must be done up really tight and use stainless lock wire to secure them so the pin cant undo

IF you send me a private message with your email i can supply a full detailed sketch,a picture's worth a thousand words!

Cheers Steve
Old 25-07-2017, 08:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
Have been giving some thought and if your buoy has enough room (large hole) then just use some chain as below link:

http://www.barrplastics.com/assets/i...type_fotor.jpg

This way the swivel can be connected to the chain at the bottom and a large washer and eye bolt /shackle at the top,

If you have to go the solid rod/bolt way its needs to be a large diameter 1/2" minimum but larger if possible, my suggestion here was to weld an eye on top and bottom (or threaded both ends with eye bolt) and nuts then use lock tight thread locker or peen the end of the rod so the nut cant come undone, then simple mater of using shackles to connect the swivels, when using any shackle they must be done up really tight and use stainless lock wire to secure them so the pin cant undo

IF you send me a private message with your email i can supply a full detailed sketch,a picture's worth a thousand words!

Cheers Steve
Hey thanks for the fast reply. Yes my mooring ball looks just like that one in the picture. should the chain be 3/8, 7/16 or 1/2? I think any will fit though it. I believe the chain going to the lake bed is 7/16 on a shackle to 1/2 heavy bottom chain. about 10 to 12 ft of water attached to two 250 lbs concrete pads.
Old 26-07-2017, 00:20   #6

Personally i would go with 1/2" if it will fit and the weight is not to much for the buoy, Chain on the bottom or lower down does not corrode as fast as chain on or near the surface (more oxygen) so pays to be safe,In any case it should match the rest of the system size wise!!

Dont forget to use tie wire (Monel or stainless) on all the shackles to stop them un doing,

Cheers Steve

Tags
mooring