Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2018, 07:58   #136

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1
Re: Most Sailors Can't Anchor Properly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I developed a coping mechanism for those who would anchor around me in my idyllic location as I got tired of folks anchoring around me in an area that could be utilized in a more spread out fashion. The only thing that makes sense to me is those assume I know the best location to anchor, then copy what I have done.

So what I do is this: I look for the worst location I can find in a small bay and anchor. Then like moths to a flame, the others anchor around me. In the evening, just as the sun is setting (folks are afraid to move during the night), I go to the location I wanted and anchor.

Really, you do this??? What if i come along and take your favored spot?
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 08:24   #137

Boat: Ponderosa Sundeck 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemao View Post
I'll admit that I'm probably one of those who can't anchor properly.
I actually find anchoring to be one of the more stressful aspects of sailing. Anchorages (at least where I've sailed) are generally very crowded, and it's at least a little unclear how close is 'too close.' I'd love to hear any thoughts on this matter.
This was a really great and honest summary of the legit challenges.

But to many of the other posters: Education and reading are certainly important tools that every sailor should take advantage of. But they are NOT the only answer. So much of anchoring has to do with different weather/tidal conditions, different anchor types, different bottoms, and different local conventions. I probably know more than most of you about how to anchor on the side of a sandy river with a steady 3kt current and typical late-afternoon onshore breezes. But I don't have near as much experience dropping anchor in a Bahamanian cove and its tidal/wind shifts. Much of the solution is PRACTICE, and how is someone supposed to do that if they don't get out there?

Rather than complain about "everybody else" in your chosen domain, how about either a) granting them some grace, or b) help them learn by sharing your experience? Otherwise you're just pissing into the wind.
schrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 09:02   #138

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'

Years ago I was in an anchorage that developed an eddie with the tide. There was another boat nearby and we talked earlier in the day a knew we were outside each others swing radius by about 20 ft even if we swung opposite directions. It was a tight anchorage but well protected.

Around sunset a small sailboat entered the anchorage and anchored directly between us. We warned him that he would be in our swing radius. They were unconcerned.

Being a 50,000lb metal wrecking ball swinging at anchor, I warned them that if we bumped in the night, we could roll right over the top of their boat and not even know it.

Well they still didn't care. That changed around 4 AM when the tide changed and the eddie started. They ended up sandwiched bow to staern between us and the other boat.

I came on deck to see them frantically fending off and I just laughed. I said 'Told you that was a bad place' then went back below to make coffee.

The boat that was anchored on the other side just threw some fenders over the side and we proceeded to watch as the boat in the middle struggled to fend off and try to formulate a plan.

Unfortunately, their anchor was unretrievable since it was underneath the other boat, running under their own bow, boat, stern and prop. It was 180 degrees the wrong way with their bow towards me.

Moral of the story: you can't fix stupid. After about 2hrs they were able to extract themselves with a bit of help from us once I had some coffee in me.
neptunesjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 09:04   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Are you guys saying that after the anchor hits bottom that you still have to put out more line?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 09:04   #140
Marine Service Provider

These are the types of messages, and comments which intimidate a lot of young and inexperienced skippers and may even stop them from getting out and enjoying and experiencing what you do! We all started out somewhere right!? Stop being so jealous about people who have bigger, newer, fancier and better boats than yours, and instead of complaining rather provide some constructive ideas, suggestions or advice! If only we could all be as experienced as you!
Craigboshard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 09:13   #141

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

I recommend “Anchoring and Mooring the Cruising Multihull” by Mark Johnson. Yep, that’s me...

It is full of good stuff for you monohullers as well, and is based on thousands of nights spent on the hook, over 45 years of cruising.

The E book and the paperback are available through Amazon.

Btw... In my observations, only about 5% of cruisers anchor for that midnight gale in a thunderstorm, which has happened to us over 100 times. This is irresponsible, and unfair to other boats as well as the surrounding land owners.

I have also been in over 20 hurricanes, and there are survival tips on this as well.

As a boatwright who built all three of my cruising boats, and due to unavailability... never had hull insurance on them, I can not afford to loose my boat!

For folks who REALLY do not want to loose their boat, read the book!

Fair winds,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7623B44D-4AA5-4A5C-A536-CB6C5685D023.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	175646   Click image for larger version

Name:	3D2627A4-EF41-4A8D-90C8-A7AFD95148C4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	175647  

Name:	CA3C83C6-68AB-4FA6-AEBF-B14F2D1FC266.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	175648   Click image for larger version

Name:	6B94E958-61CA-4A5A-9552-3C41913FBA4F.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	175649  

Name:	C01D81FC-8FD5-49BA-98E1-9621E8888327.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	175650   Click image for larger version

Name:	39435763-94CD-48D9-A816-97937170C564.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	175651  

Old 17-08-2018, 09:53   #142

I've been driving boats and trimming sails for 25 years, and I'm still learning. No reason to think differently about anchoring. It's a skill. If you have skill you can use it to educate or condemn, your choice.

Best tip I ever received, get to a crowded anchorage sufficiently early for a good spot to watch "the show" of newbies learning to anchor.

Second best tip, if you don't want close anchoring don't anchor in the choice spots.
Texana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 10:05   #143

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Certainly proves the point that becoming wealthy is due to luck, rather than intelligence, or diligence.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 10:47   #144

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

The commodore of a local yacht club attended a little seminar on seamanship. He mentioned the he had "never used" his anchor.
I see lots of race boats and power boats with what I consider to be horribly undersized anchors.
Most cruising boats seem to have oversized anchors and many have all-chain rodes. Occasionally there is a fearful cruiser who anchors in the absolute center of an anchorage on a 3-strand rode and then attempts to direct all others to the shallows or the drop-off. But cruisers usually look after each other.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 10:54   #145

Dear Rognvald,

From the way I see your post, I get the impression you are experiencing discomfort.

I think we can all agree discomfort can be frustrating.

One excellent method to deal with discomfort is tapping using Emotional Freedom Technique.

Following along on YouTube or with an EFT practitioner, tapping can bring immediate relief from your discomfort.

Please, let us know of your successes!
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 10:56   #146

We have found to beware of vessels that are preparing to anchor which have a loud skipper (husband) barking orders to the crew (wife). When this happens we move to the bow standing tall with a boat hook in hand acting very concerned. This helps to send a message to stay away.

When my wife and I anchor we use no verbal communication (abuse) only hand signals we have established. It presents to at anchorage that we are proficient in our ground tackle deployment and not a threat of a bump in the night.
malaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 10:58   #147

Boat: SOLD our M/V HOPE Grand Banks 42 now we're Hopeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
We are, once again, cruising full time and the old ghosts are still haunting the house. It is appalling apparent that the majority of sailors/cruisers we encounter do not have the slightest clue what they're doing. If we are the first into an anchorage with room for ten boats, the next boat in drops his hook as close to us as possible. The pattern follows suit in every anchorage. We see sailors trying to set a hook in reverse at high speed, dropping their hooks over another boat's anchor rode, cutting across our anchor rode with their keel as they're looking for a spot, setting inappropriate scope for the depth of an anchorage, and setting/resetting their hooks for no apparent reason. In most cases, we never even go to the "choice" anchorage but choose a spot that is equally suitable based on bottom characteristics and protection to avoid this madness but that is no guarantee these "sailing goons" won't be knocking on the door. What gives? Is it possible that so many people with very expensive boats are so incompetent? Perhaps someone on this forum has an explanation? It seems nothing has changed in the last 30 plus years. In not so quiet desperation . . . Rognvald

I bought an RV. Try parking alone in Walmart---just like moths to a lamp they come.
It is easier to move however.
CaptJPMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 11:11   #148

Boat: SOLD our M/V HOPE Grand Banks 42 now we're Hopeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Are you guys saying that after the anchor hits bottom that you still have to put out more line?
David depends on size of 'anchor' and "boat"
I tried to insert a pot of an anchor from the HMS Britannica and a Beatle-Cat as a joking reply. But my photoshop skills are even worse than my anchoring!
CaptJPMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 12:12   #149

Throwing in my cat among the pigeons: Anchoring First of all, cruisers should be aware that most anchor companies create sizing charts for boats that will never see winds in excess of 30 knots. Cruisers could easily see winds that are well beyond that limit so you should at least go up one size in your anchor selection. Those charts are for the weekend boater, but if you stay out cruising long enough, the time will come where you will be anchored in a storm.

I go up two sizes when choosing an anchor.

Next fun fact, the pressure the wind exerts on your boat increases by the square when the velocity of the wind doubles. Or, put simply; if the wind pushes 10 lbs against your boat at 10 knots, it will push 100 lbs against your boat at 20 knots and 1000 lbs against your boat at 40 knots. No kidding.

Once, when anchored in 35 knots of wind. I stepped outside my bow rail and bounced up and down on my anchor rode. Drum tight. The idea of pulling that in with my hands was absurd. Even the windlass couldn't budge it (average windlass pulls 550 lbs). According to the charts, my boat pulls 900 lbs against the rode in 30 knots of wind. Now, look at that puny 35 lb anchor for your 45 foot boat! No way. 55-60 lbs is proper (mine is a 72 lb Rocna). And 45 lbs is proper for the boats in the 30-40 foot range. Don't believe me? Make sure you have Sea Tow and don't sleep too soundly. Oh, and please stop anchoring upwind of me. I don't have to be up in the middle of the night in a driving rain. I'm anchored properly.

Next.

An all chain rode is best for a cruiser. Lots of reasons. 1) Weight gets added to the anchoring system (weight is good). 2) Chain creates a catenary that helps pull on the anchor horizontally (the way it's supposed to). 3) Chain will not chafe through on sharp underwater things (sucks to lose your expensive anchor). 4) Chain runs through a windlass all by itself nicely and locks temporarily wherever you stop it. 5) You can hook multiple snubbers to a chain easily (not so easy with rope rode) 6) Chain is harder to steal (its just so heavy, noisy, and harder to cut)

How to set an anchor 101. 1) Look at the anchorage on a chart, check the expected depths. 2) Then, don't trust the chart, look at it yourself in person. All charts are notoriously incorrect when you get into shallow water. 3) Very, very, slowly cruise through the anchorage looking for underwater obstacles and checking depths. Did I mention "Go slowly" 4) You should already be aware of the state and tide and its range. You will set your anchor for proper scope at high tide, but not be aground at low tide. 5) Note any current and wind to help with anchoring. 6) Cruise slowly all through your chosen anchor spot and swing area and note anything necessary (depths, rocks, sea bottom, type, neighbors, etc). Be sure to pass behind the boats already anchored. Never pass close to the bow of an anchored boat. Get all the info you can.

Using the proper anchor for the bottom type. Nowadays a Rocna or "scoop" type is best. 7) Be aware of other boats and determine where their anchors are (ask them if necessary). 8) Get your anchor ready to deploy (hanging down, not touching water). 9) Move slowly into the wind/current over your anchor drop point. Go upwind past it as much as you expect your anchor to drag while setting (Rocna about 3'). 10) Come to a complete stop and center the rudder. 11) Walk up to the bow and as soon as you start drifting backwards, lower (not drop) your anchor until it touches bottom. 12) As the boat drifts back pay out rode to first lay the anchor down, and then lay the rode down in a nice straight line as the boat continues to drift back. Dropping extra rode now could foul the anchor. Don't put any tension on the rode yet, but don't drop extra chain to wad it up in a ball on the bottom and or foul the anchor either. 13) Pay out a little more rode than you need then snub it off. Don't use the gypsy to stop boat if possible. I hook my snubber on while allowing the chain to continue to run slowly and then let the snubber stop the boat. If the boat falls off at an angle (probably), that's OK. The bow always falls off when pushed by the wind. Now, put your foot on the snubber to feel for any dragging. Be sure it is set. 14) Personal preference. You may now want to back down on the rode to set it firmly. Some people prefer to allow the anchor time to sink into the mud a while before doing this and only set the anchor later (hour or so). Some people back down hard with the engine to be sure they have a good set. Some people use the boats momentum drifting backwards to set the anchor. In any case, be sure it is set before sleeping or leaving the boat. 15) Now take up any extra rode so that you have (measured from bottom to bow roller at high tide): 5/1 for a lunch set; daytime, settled weather, never leaving the boat. 7/1 for calm conditions overnight; and you will not leave the boat. 10/1 for all other times (storm imminent, leaving the boat for the day, sleeping overnight (always a possible nightime thunderstorm). 16) Now set the snubber to allow stretch for waves and wakes. Ten to twelve feet is barely enough with a properly sized snubber. Most are way too thick. It's supposed to stretch like a rubber band when shock loaded. Pay out enough anchor rode to allow only the snubber to take shock loads. You should have a loop of chain hanging from the bow and the snubber tight.
Now take a break, you've earned it!

Capt Don
Doek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 12:39   #150

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
...Most cruising boats seem to have oversized anchors and many have all-chain rodes. Occasionally there is a fearful cruiser who anchors in the absolute center of an anchorage on a 3-strand rode and then attempts to direct all others to the shallows or the drop-off. But cruisers usually look after each other.

One of the few times I had a bad anchoring experience was when faced with this kind of person. Anchorage could easily accommodate 1/2 dozen boats, but this one couple (a crabby hubby and an embarrassed wife) had anchored right in the middle. Boat is maybe 26' long, and probably drew 3'.

When I went off to one edge the hubby starts yelling at me that he's got 150' of rope rode out, which will basically sweep out the whole anchorage. We're in less than 10' water.

I thank him for the info, and proceed to lay out my 4:1 chain. I know we're well out of the way of this special fellow, but he gets all huffy and eventually moves. I watch him haul in, and it's clear he's got out maybe 80' (which is still way more than required).

Tags
anchor, rope, sail