Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2011, 00:49   #31

Boat: PETERSON 44
Re: Need advice...please look

Couple thoughts. I don't load my roller I feed the snubber through a hawse pipe pretty well near the roller load the snubber. Dont usually worry about chafe I may let out more snubber if it blows harder. So a long snubber with some extra length so its not wearing the same point. Chafe gear if it's real snotty. You can get a hook out with out a lot after ward. Sometimes it may take a while. Motor up on it or over it and snub up. Sometimes you have to winch down and let the bouyancy and wakes work the line. A little patience. The roller is real nice for dropping hook and realing in rhode but I don't use it as a load point.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 00:55   #32

in this case what is my load point?
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 06:47   #33

Boat: Finnsailer 38

If you have nice big chocks that are properly rounded and properly mounted, and you use just a short length of chain, I think pulling in anchor line through a chock is no more difficult than pulling it in over a roller. Especially, if you're just pulling up a 15-25 lb Fortress or Danforth anchor. Yes, rollers are great and needed when you go to big heavy anchors and lots of chain. But, I think if you go roller you might as well go all the way and get a big one that will be through bolted with heavy backing plates, etc. One of those little rollers will be very easy to pull out in a loaded situation--I've seen lots of busted rollers, even very heavy looking ones. It is too easy to load up the roller when you motor up over the anchor with the line cleated off, and you don't want to be taking the line off and on the roller when it is loaded.
Old 25-02-2011, 10:36   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
If you have nice big chocks that are properly rounded and properly mounted, and you use just a short length of chain, I think pulling in anchor line through a chock is no more difficult than pulling it in over a roller. Especially, if you're just pulling up a 15-25 lb Fortress or Danforth anchor. Yes, rollers are great and needed when you go to big heavy anchors and lots of chain. But, I think if you go roller you might as well go all the way and get a big one that will be through bolted with heavy backing plates, etc. One of those little rollers will be very easy to pull out in a loaded situation--I've seen lots of busted rollers, even very heavy looking ones. It is too easy to load up the roller when you motor up over the anchor with the line cleated off, and you don't want to be taking the line off and on the roller when it is loaded.
the chucks arent that big, but they are solid no dough...also the cleats are bolted thru solid 1/2 glass no balsa or any coar on this boat, under glass is teak ribs with the cleats are bolted thru...so these cleats will brake long befor they rip off...I can put 10in cleats and have peace of mind in any weather.
if I go roller im going all the way with custom built stailess one piece nose.
rgds
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 18:04   #35

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
This is all new to me...have yet to retrive an anchor

the boat has non sins 1964...I figured its not needed?

I what the strict minimum...but still want solid and safe...for now I have plenty elbow greas...if a roller is mandatory I will get one.

there are only 4 ways to control a boat 1; engine 2; sails 3; tides, winds on a hull 4; anchor. good seamanship dictates that none of these should be discarded. lets say you're off an east coast with a strong easterly wind and your engine conks - got room to tack? if not buddy you better have an anchor and know how to use it.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote