Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2013, 13:32   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Need to Remove Keys from Shaft

I am replacing the seals and changing the oil on my Lofrans Tigres anchor after 10 years (supposed to do this every 2 years per the manual but I only recently found out about that recommendation) and am having trouble removing the flat keys from the shaft (pieces 479 and 478 on page 8 of 12 of the manual (http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...400AN-1200.pdf). How can I get them out without chewing them up with a pliers or vice-grip? They are inside the opening in the gear case so I can't get a good angle to pull.

Thanks to GordMay for the link to the manual in his post to another thread (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post437565).
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 14:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Need to Remove Keys from Shaft

i find a blow torch and some sae50 oil dripped on once the shaft is nice and hot will bubble most of the nastys out and free up almost any thing with repeated treatments.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 14:44   #3

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

From looking at the diagram, do they need to be removed ? If so maybe a sharp center punch on the end at the best upward angle you can get,and a few taps. Good luck, Bruce.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 14:50   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i find a blow torch and some sae50 oil dripped on once the shaft is nice and hot will bubble most of the nastys out and free up almost any thing with repeated treatments.
I work in a machine shop and we do this all the time. Use a flat blade screw driver. Aim at the rounded end of the key where it projects from the keway. Tap it on the rounded end a few times roughly parallel to the shaft centerline and it should crawl out. If you can get a bit of an angle in your favor away from centerline it will help. It doesn't matter if you nick this part of the key. Note that keys are really cheap if damage is needed.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 14:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I work in a machine shop and we do this all the time. Use a flat blade screw driver. Aim at the rounded end of the key where it projects from the keway. Tap it on the rounded end a few times roughly parallel to the shaft centerline and it should crawl out. If you can get a bit of an angle in your favor away from centerline it will help. It doesn't matter if you nick this part of the key. Note that keys are really cheap if damage is needed.
+1,if that still doent work get out the blow torch,the oil will bubble out any corrosion holding it in place,holding it secrly up right in a vice is a good idea as well
Old 16-03-2013, 15:22   #6

Get your self a piece of brass rod and use it to give them a tap in the upward direction as mentioned. Good to have in your tool set anyway. Does the oil degrade on it's own over time? I wonder why they recommend to change it..... when you think about it, very little rpms go through a windlass in it's life time as compared to most any machinery out there that's run one day....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 15:25   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Get your self a piece of brass rod and use it to give them a tap in the upward direction as mentioned. Good to have in your tool set anyway. Does the oil degrade on it's own over time? I wonder why they recommend to change it..... when you think about it, very little rpms go through a windlass in it's life time as compared to most any machinery out there that's run one day....
biggest problem with those whinches is the oil leaking out over time then running dry
Old 17-03-2013, 12:11   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Thanks to all responders. You were a big help. I used Nicholson58's technique with a screwdriver - worked great!

Steamgoat, you were correct - I did not need to remove the keys after all as the shaft simply slides out of the bearing and seal (with a bit of help from a hammer).

Windlass seals have been replaced and new oil added. All that remains is testing the windlass at anchor.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote