Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2020, 15:15   #91
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: New Anchor Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
exactly

in a past life i was a director of a shipping company. one of our vessels had a misfortune with her anchor and wound up with about 8 shackles (120m) of anchor cable hanging vertically (plus the anchor of course). the ship's windlass could not lift such weight and only after lots of trouble were we finally able to retrieve the anchor (and even then only at night when hydraulic oil cooler)

before you anchor with chain in deep water, be sure that your windlass is able to lift the weight of chain and anchor involved.

cheers,
Exactly! When I specify the deep water emergency system of connecting the two chains together, I also specify that it must lift full amout at a specific rate.

Interesting that you said that overheated hydraulics was part of the problem.
Engineering consultants have always advised me to install electric windlasses on super yachts saying that it has superior breakout strength than hydraulic
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor