Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 11:54   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: New anchor chain. HELP!!

You can measure your existing chain with some callipers. There is a noticable differance between ISO and DIN that can even be picked visually.

Other options are that most gypsies are stamped with the correct chain size, or at least a number that reveals the correct chain size if you contact the winch manufacturer.

if you get a chain sample and wrap it around the gypsy the difference between chain that fits and a link size that is incorrect is reasonably obvious.

DIN (28 mm) and ISO (30 mm) are (almost) equally popular so there is no way of knowing without checking.
Old 20-04-2015, 11:55   #17

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello,
In Europe you can find two diffent size au 10mm chain !!!
1) EN-818 norm, link mesure are 35 x 30 mm
2) DIN-766 norm, link mesure are 36 x 28 mm

Some are using 3/8" BBB to replace 10mm/DIN-766.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 12:05   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Remove the chain gypsy and take it into the chain supplier. That's often just a matter of removing a nut and pullling it off. Buy a short length of each chain and try them on the windlass in situ. If there is any kind of serial or identifying number on the gypsy, you could call the mfg to find out what chain it's made for.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 12:19   #19

Boat: Solaris Sunrise 36 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
Translation for the OP: stainless work hardens under the everyday snatch and jerk that a rode and its links are subject to. Eventually the stainless can weaken to a point where it snaps under load.

I would not have any stainless components in my anchor rode. Earlier posters have suggested the merits of going all gal.

Lee

Edit: You will not find any rated industrial lifting equipment in stainless, for the above reason.
Interesting point. Would this apply to shackles, too? In particular, do I need to worry about my Wichard bow shackles in my anchor system suddenly failing?

Bill
GalleyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 12:19   #20

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

If your windlass is well installed the gipsy will hold 3 links (the upper, 45° and vertical links). If you have the wrong size only the upper link will hold all chain traction and the chain will jump out of the gipsy.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 12:24   #21

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I also advocate going with G40 galvanised chain. I think stainless is actually weaker and more brittle than galvanised, although it is harder (and more corrosion resistant of course). Stainless is also more expensive and, based on my experiences in the mooring industry, more susceptible to crevice corrosion leading to sudden failure under load.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 12:48   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ice View Post
Well you all are against stainless chain. Thanks for all your thoughts, you guys sorted me last time and you've done it again. I'm off stainless and talking to Maggie here in Italy about their Aqua 7 chain which is a lot stronger than the 30 or 40. Now my problem is which size is my windlass gypsy. They sell chain in 2 sizes 10x28 and 10x30.

Any advice on how I can determine what I have. My original chain was supplied with the boat in Italy back in 2003 it was galvanised and that's all I know.

Any suggestions?

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Brian,

Can you carry a link or the whole thing to your chandler? Take pic with a ruler next to it. They are probably the experts.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 12:57   #23

Noelex has already posted this link https://coxengineering.sharepoint.co...finitions.aspx and it has all you need to know how to measure the chain, but chances are, the DIN766 or ISO 4565 will be stamped on the gypsy, so no need to measure or take chain anywhere.

If you want more strength in the chain, get G70 chain which Maggi call Aqua G7
Old 20-04-2015, 15:00   #24

Boat: Van de Stadt Pioneer 930-9.3m

I've been through this exercise and all you have to do is either take the windless apart and take the gypsy with you when buying chain or else look up the specifications of your windless on the manufacturer's website. That would be the easiest.
Tibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 15:24   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

FWIW, my experience is the higher the strength alloy of the steel used in the chain, the sooner and faster the chain rusts. Would stick with G40 it it will fit the bill for strength.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 15:27   #26

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Yup, G40.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 15:44   #27

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ice View Post
Hi Stu

I want stainless because its stronger than galvanised steel and i need to keep the chain size at 10 mm to fit my gypsy.
y boat weighs 23 tons fully loaded and my anchor is a 40 KG Rocna

No Ice
Hmmm. Be careful of the statement 'stainless is stronger than galvanised steel'. In nearly all comparisons of like for like that statement is incorrect.

High quality galv chain is usually stronger, tougher and more corrosion resistant, in still water, than the equivalent stainless chain.

Stainless chain should not be used for extended immersion due to crevice corrosion issues.

There is not much between the lower tensile strength grades. (300 MPa, grade 30, BBB, etc) For higher strength chains it is almost impossible to find duplex spec stainless chain of equivalent tensile strength.

Also be careful of working load values. They vary widely based on the spec used.

Be wary of marketing bs for any chain you purchase.

Always seek proof of chain type, material, chemical cleaning, coating, heat treatment and post heat treatment.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 16:00   #28

For info on chain strength, chain size etc. go to
Useful Information | Fremantle Sailing Club then scroll down to Technical-General and open the article headed "Anchor and Anchoring". You will find many answers there, and further references e.g. for chain link sizes go to Yachting Monthly summer 2013 issue.
On the same web page you will find other info about anchors and anchoring, and indeed a host of other topics ( that's why we called the page "useful information"!).
If you can't access the anchor article for some reason, let me know an email address I can send it to.
Kim Klaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 16:14   #29

Boat: Roberts Mauritius 43'

Hi mate,
Stay with gal. S/S is over rated and a waste of money.
bretto55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 12:04   #30

Boat: Taswell 43

We what we did when we bought new anchor chain in Turkey 3 years ago.....go buy a 1-1.5 meter length of each, bring them back to your boat, and try each sample in your gypsy. One should fit, and one will not; and a 1 meter length was long enough to run it through and determine which fits best. Between measuring your existing links(we measured about 20 random links to ensure we had a good no for the link LOA, thickness, width, etc) and trying the closest new chain lengths in your current gypsy, it should become obvious which size will fit/match what you have now.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor