Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2016, 16:16   #46

Re: New Member... just did first 7 day live-aboard trip... Anchor Questions!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
You do realize that the OP owns a 32' Motorboat (Cat hull) that weights about 8,000 lbs?

I think the boat would be way out of balance with 300 lbs of chain and anchor in the bow? Not to mention the chain locker probably isn't that big....

2006 World Cat 320 EC
I could get the chain in the locker, but I think there'd be a decent list. LOL.

I appreciate all the different advice I've been getting... at the end of the day, I'm looking for the best anchor for a person that will be on the hook maybe 5-10 nights a year (at most)... this time only 3 nights. Usually in protected areas. I'd really like to keep my 30' for chain and my rode.

The biggest thing I'm trying to decide on is the Mantus that will work best with my current roller set up (or at least with minimal modification of that ring on there).

I think a 45# Mantus on that boat is crazy... I know it'll hold like a beast, but I also have to consider that my Lewmar 1000FF needs to be able to bring it up. I do agree that the 25# isn't going to help me sleep at night... so I'm likely going to go with the 35#... but I've got a few more days before I have to pull the trigger in case I have to go with a plan "B"... so keep 'em coming.
Old 13-07-2016, 18:37   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

It has happened again. The OP has been told his anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind and he doesn't have enough chain.

Pete and Re-Pete, your anchor rode is appropriate for your boat and cruising area. If you're not comfortable with your current anchor go up a size. You'll be fine.
Old 01-08-2016, 16:07   #48

My first thought on this "Then I have an email from Mantus from a different rep telling me that a 25# is plenty and that 35# is overkill"...

Will you sleep better using the absolute minimum anchor that you can slide by with, or would you sleep better with something a little heavier that will tolerate shifting tides and heavy winds without setting off your anchor alarm?

I guess it boils down to how important is a good nights sleep to you, and then make the decision that you already know the answer to.
Captain-Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 16:18   #49

I ended up with the 35 -- it's a beast. Haven't installed it yet. But I'm extremely comfortable that it was the right choice. I made be made fun of... it's a bit big. LOLOL. But I'll sleep like a baby!
Old 01-08-2016, 16:42   #50

And that alone is worth the price of admission!
Captain-Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, member, new member