Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2018, 11:38   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
New snubber line?

I’ve used 3/4 line for my snubber with a “Mantus” chain hook that locks on the chain. Great contraption but the line that goes around the thimbles that shackle to the hook have started to cut as the rope rubs against the stainless steel thimbles and now need replacing after about five years of use and hundreds of anchoring. Not bad really for all the use its had.
Anyone have a suggestion for 3/4 inch three strand line? It might be a stupid question as everyone has their ideas as to who makes the best line and hopefully will write about their experiences. What I have used has done well but heck if I know who made it.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 15:02   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: New snubber line?

Hello, mestrezat,

Our boats are similar size. We use nylon double braid, 16 mm. Lasts quite well.

Ann
Old 10-06-2018, 15:03   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, mestrezat,

Our boats are similar size. We use nylon double braid, 16 mm. Lasts quite well.

Ann
Old 10-06-2018, 17:27   #4

We moved up to 20 mill since we weigh in at about 23 tons. With the Mantus snubber hook that surrounds the chain and locks on, it’s always done a great job. Any suggestions on manufacturer for the line? Everyone says their sim the “best”.
Old 10-06-2018, 17:45   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've always though the common "cable" thimbles are a menace for high-load applications. I know many sailor that have had them cut lines (see image 5 below). They are particularly deadly on drogue and JDS bridles. Because nylon stretches, it is pretty much impossible for them to remain tight under high load. At 20% WLL they are always loose.

Instead use a sailmakers thimble )image 2) or captive thimble (others). For some applications, a webbing chafe guard can make a suitable thimble which can never damage the rope.
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_12401-1.html

Old 11-06-2018, 05:26   #6

Boat: Custom 34 ft., sail-assisted trawler, wood hull, built 2005

We highly recommend attaching snubbers to rodes using a rolling hitch. For 3/4 inch line, the rolling hitch will probably slip on the rode, especially a rope rode, so convert the end of the line to what we call a "snubber braid". To make the snubber braid, put a whipping approximately 2.5 feet from the end of the line, unlay the strands and, if not already so, sort into 3 groups, braid the strands back together like a girl does with her hair (Common Sinnet, Ashley Book of Knots, figure 2965), put one or two lashings on the end to hold everything together and trim. It is cheap, easily done, grips exceedingly well on both chain and rope, and after extensive use show no chafe or wear. If wear should develop, just cut off and redo.
Briney Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:58   #7

I’ve got 3/8 inch chain for my rode and would have to lean out over the bow to attach the rolling hitches. I currently use the Mantus chain hook and attach a line to the port and a line to the starboard side cleats on deck using chafing gear where they come on board. I let out the chain till the anchor digs in, lean out just a bit, hook on the Mantus with the snubber lines already attached to the cleats and have my wife put the engine in reverse till there is good strain on the rode and then release the windlass so the chain goes out till the Mantus takes the strain. Once it pulled tight on the snubber, I feed out another ten feet or so of chain making a loop from the deck down to the Mantus hook so all the strain is now on the snubber and not the windlass. I don’t think using the rolling hitch would work for me but I’ve heard of others that use it. To each their own. I’m just trying to find a three strand line that is well made and can take the strain.
Old 11-06-2018, 17:44   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW, in the past I have found New England Rope's three strand nylon to be of good quality. A medium lay an with proprietary coatings, it has lasted well as dock lines and rope rode on our stern anchors. Don't know if it is better than other mainstream cordage, but good enough for me.

But I wonder why you insist on three strand for your snubber? We switched away from it years ago because I found that when cyclically stressed with big loads (like in a rough anchorage with big seas) it would twist and eventually hockle. Since then we've used either octoplait or double braid nylon, mostly the latter for its superior chafe resistance. Not as stretchy as three strand, but IMO, adequately so, and far longer lived.

Jim
Old 11-06-2018, 18:26   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

Samson 3 strand with the tracer is pretty good. I like the tracer for splicing. I want to bash the Mantus hook. The silly plastic guard broke off the first cold day, years ago. Now I'm getting a second link caught in the opening when it's bouncy. That's fun when you are in a hurry. I learned how to not have it come off the chain by keeping it off the bottom. I've tried a rolling hitch and it jambs enough on chain that the stupid hook is better. It's time to learn the icicle hitch.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 19:07   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Samson 3 strand with the tracer is pretty good. I like the tracer for splicing. I want to bash the Mantus hook. The silly plastic guard broke off the first cold day, years ago. Now I'm getting a second link caught in the opening when it's bouncy. That's fun when you are in a hurry. I learned how to not have it come off the chain by keeping it off the bottom. I've tried a rolling hitch and it jambs enough on chain that the stupid hook is better. It's time to learn the icicle hitch.

The Mantus hook is excellent in the 1/4-inch size; it can easily be manipulated with one hand with a little practice. Very fast. But it doesn't seem to scale up well to larger sizes.

The rolling hitch generally slips at about 50% of the WLL of the rope (I've tested this on chain with several rope types). Several well known and published world cruisers have reported this and have either gone to a different hitch or 2 rolling hitches. Much depends on the specific rope and chain combination, and many "successful" users may never have loaded it hard enough to slip.

The camel hitch is much simple than the icicle hitch (it's a rolling hitch with the last part reversed. It does not slip on chain.

But if you like hitches, a soft shackle is probably the state of art for snubbers that must come over the roller. Very nice. Catamarans often prefer something different, but they don't have to reach around the forestay.

I've used at least 5 methods with no real preference:
  • Prusic hitch on rope.
  • Cow hitch on chain
  • Mantus hook (1/4")
  • Soft shackle
  • Bridle plate
I've test others and not liked them as well. I'm not wild about gripper hitches; I've seen them slip in the lab and field.
Old 11-06-2018, 22:00   #11

I’ve used three strand for snubber for as long as I’ve been boating (1981) with few complaints. Never had it hockle but it sure does stretch better than braid. I went from using just one line to a typical chain hook as the line broke in Tuvalu out in the Pacific years ago in 40 knot winds and six foot rollers coming through the anchorage . Switched to the Mantus with 3/8 inch chain but wanted two lines to the hook this way if one broke, the second would act as a back up. Now I have two lines, each coming onboard and cleared at the bow instead of over the rollers at the bow. That’s just asking for trouble if the boat really starts getting thrown around when big swells enter the anchorage.
When we anchor, down goes the anchor(Rocna 40 kilo)and out goes the chain. After reaching the prescribed length to depth ratio, I snug down the windlass and keep pulling back. Then on goes the Mantus, with it chain keeper attached and then I let out more chain till the hook takes all the strain and keep it in reverse till we are sure it’s dug in. I can hear the three strand as the boat backs up and watch as the strands contract under pressure.
As for using braid, it’s stronger but not as stretchy which is a big help in a bigger blow plus putting in an eye splice so it can be attached to any kind of snubber isn’t the easiest thing to do. We just finished our circumnavigation after seven years and hundreds of anchoring with few complaints. Bought the line I’m using in South Africa. Now it’s time for a replacement. I will be getting better thimbles as was discussed in the earlier post. Much better design though free stires seem to carry them as the others are cheaper and more common.
That’s just my take on how we do it. We’ve seen lots of methods in many anchorages but seem to like ours the best.
Old 11-06-2018, 23:55   #12

Fray vs cut. Fray is from time of use whereas cut is mechanical wear. It is either using the wrong size cordage for the thimble or the wrong thimble. It is as simple as that.

For thimbles I have always preloaded the rope before splicing.

Is NE Rope still in business? I thought they went out.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote