Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2017, 07:51   #16

Re: New to anchoring - appreciate advice/opinions

Here's my experience.

Serious anchoring requires all chain... (others will have a different opinion of course)... no chafe..better set... deeper catenary. You need a good windlass with reversing switches.

I have used a CQR with 200' of chain for the past 25 years with no problems.

I try to anchor in 10-20' depth MLW and use never ever less than 50' and usually 100'

+++

A 6hp is fine... I like 4 stroke because I don't like fiddling around with 2 stroke oil. They're heavy. Get yourself a Garhauer demountable crane... fabulous!

+++

We never stay in a marina... can't stand them for multiple reasons.

The only ball we use is our summer seasonal mooring... N o need to pay for a mooring... anchor for free. But do it right.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 08:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
In the video Panope notes that he prefers the Spade over the Sarca due to the curves of the Spade. Panope's comments on the Mantus are that it "it is too spindly looking and may be too spindly looking for use" and "does not look robust".

The Spade Anchor is currently on Sale for 30% off. So a 45lbs Mantus costs $379.99 and a 44lbs Spade Anchor costs $529.99 a difference of $150. So for about what you pay for one night at a hotel you can now sleep on the hook with a Spade Anchor.
https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/produ.../spade-s-steel
My bad. I miss-remembered. It's been a while since I watched the video.

Panope's comment regarding the Mantus is that "it is easily FASTEST and the most RELIABLY setting anchor" but he also adds that in terms of appearances it is spindly looking.

Whether or not subjective opinions about the appearance or styling of an anchor is important is up to the individual. While someone may think an anchor does not look robust, this opinion is of little relevance to engineering and actual performance.

Despite his opinion about styling he says it is definitely a KEEPER which he will store disassembled in the bilge.

Nice to see that the Spade is currently on sale for 30% off. I never said it wasn't a good design. I only questioned whether it was a good value. How long will it be on sale for 30% off and when will it return to being TWICE as much as a Mantus?

Does styling matter? Sure to some people. Personally I value performance and would chose an anchor that easily is the fastest and most reliably setting, but for me sailing isn't a fashion show. YMMV
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 08:09   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmon View Post
Recommendations/opinions on all three topics greatly appreciated,
Bob
As for 1: This IMHO is well worth it to keep on kindle -
https://www.amazon.com/d/Books/Creat...der/1449922155

Anchoring is usually pretty easy, wind doesn't get up that much, holding is often good . It's when things aren't fine that you'll be glad of a decent hook, good snubber and load of chain. Go play
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 09:08   #19

Boat: Pearson

normally fortress, danforth claim a 7-1 scope, with 20' of chain a 5-1 would work in average conditions. With 200' of nylon that tells you your depth, calm conditions maybe less. The bahamas have rocky and sand botoms. I have relieded on a forged grapnel with 20' of chain, 500' of 3 stran nylon for years, and that affords me a good night sleep of two hrs. at a blink. Of course there are bunches of new age anchors , pricey and ........🤐
Old 20-06-2017, 09:12   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post

Panope's comment regarding the Mantus is that "it is easily FASTEST and the most RELIABLY setting anchor" but he also adds that in terms of appearances it is spindly looking.

Whether or not subjective opinions about the appearance or styling of an anchor is important is up to the individual. While someone may think an anchor does not look robust, this opinion is of little relevance to engineering and actual performance.

Despite his opinion about styling he says it is definitely a KEEPER which he will store disassembled in the bilge.

Nice to see that the Spade is currently on sale for 30% off. I never said it wasn't a good design. I only questioned whether it was a good value. How long will it be on sale for 30% off and when will it return to being TWICE as much as a Mantus?

Does styling matter? Sure to some people. Personally I value performance and would chose an anchor that easily is the fastest and most reliably setting, but for me sailing isn't a fashion show. YMMV
I believe when a mechanical engineer states that something looks spindly, that statement is of more value than if you or I said it.

The Mantus does set fast and reliably and does so in many different types of Seabed. What happens after it is set? What holding certificates does Mantus have?

The Spade Anchor Will be 30% off until at least the end of July. The sale may go on longer but July is guaranteed.

Also Mantus gives away anchors to "Brand Ambassadors". CruisersForum is very diligent on making sure manufacturers/distributors have labels on our names so that readers know who is who. The "Brand Ambassadors" are a loophole. Panope paid for his Spade Anchor, did you pay for your Mantus?
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 09:20   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Quote:

It's worth the time to watch this. I think Steve is capable of making some relevant engineering opinions.
Just to clarify your last comment, it if wasn't a fashion show Steve would have chosen the Excel.
Excel #5 22kg/47lb Galv is $745 cdn = $560 usd.
ce
Old 20-06-2017, 09:40   #22

Quote:
Also Mantus gives away anchors to "Brand Ambassadors". CruisersForum is very diligent on making sure manufacturers/distributors have labels on our names so that readers know who is who. The "Brand Ambassadors" are a loophole. Panope paid for his Spade Anchor, did you pay for your Mantus?
This is just plain RUDE! I most certainly paid for my anchor and resent your implication that I am dishonest in expressing my preference.

Further, I never made any disparaging comments about your anchor other than to reflect upon it's price, which was a TRUE statement. While I did provide an endorsement based on my personal experience of a particular brand, I also allowed the concession that just about any new generation anchor would provide better performance than a plow, something I believe anyone can agree with.

Frankly, if anyone should have a reason not to by an anchor from someone it's because they are obnoxious in their pushy salesmanship. Good day to you, sir!
Old 20-06-2017, 09:44   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
This is just plain RUDE! I most certainly paid for my anchor and resent that your implication that I am dishonest in expressing my preference.

Further, I never made any disparaging comments about your anchor other than to reflect upon it's price, which was a TRUE statement. While I did provide an endorsement based on my personal experience, I also allowed the concession that just about any new generation anchor would provide better performance than a plow, something I believe anyone can agree with.

Frankly, if anyone should have a reason not to by an anchor from someone it's because they are obnoxious in their pushy salesmanship. Good day to you, sir!
I was just checking. No harm in asking (unbunch your panties).
Old 20-06-2017, 09:51   #24

Quote:
(unbunch your panties).
Obnoxious. Totally unnecessary.
Old 20-06-2017, 09:52   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
I was just checking. No harm in asking (unbunch your panties).
Sorry to disagree. Your post looked really bad to me. IMO there was harm done to this thread and to your reputation.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 10:16   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Sorry to disagree. Your post looked really bad to me. IMO there was harm done to this thread and to your reputation.
This is a forum of open discussion.

Just becasue I sell a product does not give the right to someone else to be disrespectful consistently. This is not a customer is always right scenario, this is an open forum. If you can't handle open, honest, straight forward, questions and answers then do not comment.
Old 20-06-2017, 10:23   #27

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Wow, an anchor thread turning ugly. Didn't see that coming.

Fwiw, I use 180 ft of 5/16 chain backed up by a 100 ft of 5/8 brait. Hardly ever use the rope, but it's nice to know it's there. I have a bowsprit that rules out a rollbar anchor, so I went with a Rocna Vulcan. The excel or spade would also be great choices. Remember that, at some point you will lose your anchor and figure that in your cost/value equation.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 10:40   #28

Feel a little uncomfortable offering this, but I've watched so many botched anchoring jobs that I think this might be helpful. The best practice is to start backing 'only' after the anchor is lying on the bottom. Often, windage will provide enough backing power to allow slowly paying out the rode. After reaching the desired scope, gently increase power to set the anchor. Also, love this forum.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 11:15   #29

Quote:
Just becasue I sell a product does not give the right to someone else to be disrespectful consistently.
You're only digging yourself a deeper hole. I didn't disrespect you or your product, nor have I done so consistently.

I simply stated a fact, your anchor costs TWICE what the other guys cost. Because of this and for whatever sensitivities and insecurities you may have, you felt compelled accuse me of dishonesty and make juvenile comments about my character.

No wonder you have to discount your product to get people to buy them. 30% off? Good luck with that business model.
Old 20-06-2017, 11:31   #30

Boat: Bristol 27

I use the old anchors that were already on my boat.

There was a 20 lb CQR and an old Bruce with rode and chain for each. The CQR was on the bow when I found the boat so I have used that anchor these last six years. There's a heavy duty galvanized swivel near the anchor

It has worked great and must have worked for the PO since the Bruce wasn't rigged up. I have yet to back down with this anchor, but I sail in waters I've been on for years and use lots of scope

I sail mostly in the Chesapeake Bay but the PO was on his return trip North
after sailing two years from Massachusetts down to Florida and the Bahamas when he decided to cut his trip short and left the boat near here where it sat for 5 years on the hard

I have been caught in wind over 30 knots while anchored with this CQR and it has held. A few times the winds were heavy onshore winds and that wasn't much fun especially at 0200 or so with the temps in the 40's. (and I was anchored maybe 70 yards off)
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring