Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 12:29   #76

Boat: Orca 38
Re: New Windlass: Lewmar, Maxwell, Lofrans Or?

Mark, if money isn't the issue, then by all means go with a lighthouse.

I forgot what the continuous pull rating is with the lighthouse, but was impressed when I was researching windlasses.

I had problems when I did the install. The support was outrageous, timely, and cost me nothing......well, shipping once.

My windlass has had almost a year now of heavy use and may be one of the best investments I've made this year (I'm afraid). It took me a long time to get my ground tackle system to where it is now, and the Lighthouse is central to that. I'm sure there are a few others as well. I just wanted to say that despite what one or two people say, this equipment rocks, the service is great, but you DO pay for it, just like anything else of quality.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:42   #77

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
But the Lofrans has one of the very best reputations for reliability of any of them.
Not in the case of the project series. Even the tech reps at boats shows will tell you that. They have plastic in them. Once again modern stuff often sucks. The Tigres is a nice looking windlass. Is the paint surface better than anodized?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 13:11   #78

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

I think project series is lewmar, not lofrans

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 13:17   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoha View Post

Nope.
Old 11-11-2015, 13:31   #80

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoha View Post

Their current is Project. I actually have a Progress which is their older unit.... It helps when I actually read a sticker vs just glance at it

Matt

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-11-2015, 13:31   #81

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

Haha, you're right!

antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:13   #82

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I had my heart set on a lighthouse but now I am not so sure. If budget is no concern, what windlass would you guys buy for a fourty footer?
Check out Ideal windlasses, great product and company. Comparable to Lighthouse.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 18:24   #83

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I had my heart set on a lighthouse but now I am not so sure. If budget is no concern, what windlass would you guys buy for a fourty footer?
S/V Beth,

I'll second the quality and reliability of the Lighthouse 1501 windlass.

I carefully researched and meticulously read all available specification before making that decision in June 2014. Read the specs carefully, and calculate $/lb... Lighthouse does cost a bit more, but not per pound... [Testament to the 316L stainless body- not anodized aluminum...]

And I don't know of another windlass that- using only a winch handle- provides over 10,000 lbs of pull [think kedging...] as one of two manual retrieval options...

Jordan at Lighthouse sets the standard for customer support. They will even make custom deck and backing plates for you as part of your purchase for a better price than I could have them made in Washington state (where the boat was at the time I installed mine...)

Granted, I've only been using mine for 18 months, but Lighthouse has been manufacturing and supporting them for decades. If I lost my boat tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate to put a Lighthouse on my replacement vessel...

My Lighthouse 1501 install is documented on this blog post if you want to see more details.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 13-11-2015, 08:29   #84

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

In all fairness to Lighthouse, I love the unit (except for the current seal leak). When I was rebuilding it, I often stepped back and admired the engineering and sheer beauty of such a fine casting. It is overbuilt and I expect it to last for the life of the boat. So far, the motor has been great, but motors can sometimes fail. But I expect to be able to rebuild that too if needed. And, as noted, Jordan at Lighthouse is very patient and provides excellent support, above and beyond what you will find at most any other vendor. The Lighthouse was a significant plus when I bought the boat last year.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 13:44   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Thank you eMD and others for your opinions on Lofrans, Lighthouse and Ideal. SS is a friend and sailing buddy-he's crazy but his judgement is good. The custom deck and backing plate is especially attractive to me, as I am setting my deck up so that I will store my two anchors on deck during passage, with the hause hole secured and every dorade/port on my boat closed or the option of being closed and watertight.
What can I say-prepare for a hurricane, and only go out in breezes.
Works for me.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 14:11   #86

I have never owned a Lighthouse but I have sailed on several boats with them - all with happy owners. One negative, not mentioned, is that the design is prone to snagging headsail sheets in some deck configurations. All horizontal windlasses do this to some degree but the brake wheel on the Lighthouse seems especially "grabby"

Vertical windlasses like the Maxwell RC with or without the capstan are much less prone to this.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 00:10   #87

Hello Guys ,

could anyone please explain me what the difference is between the Lofrans project windlass and the Lofrans X2 ?
They look similar , but are they ?

EDIT:
had a look again and it seems the project is infact an X2 .
It's just that I found some internet links that gave the impression of this being two different windlasses

Thanks
Regards
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 00:22   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Not in the case of the project series. Even the tech reps at boats shows will tell you that. They have plastic in them. Once again modern stuff often sucks. The Tigres is a nice looking windlass. Is the paint surface better than anodized?

Hey Guy ,

you speak about plastic inside a Lofrans project , would you happen to know which parts ?

Thanks
Regards
Old 15-11-2015, 05:48   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
Hey Guy ,

you speak about plastic inside a Lofrans project , would you happen to know which parts ?

Thanks
Regards
Sure, the thick black plastic spacer that has the chain stripper and rope pawl inside. The chain stripper works loose in the plastic body.
Old 15-11-2015, 06:23   #90

Hey Guy ,

not sure if understand what you mean , could you point it out on the layout please .
Just to evaluate the risk you see.

I can buy this windlass for about 1100 Euro >>>>> 1200 US$

Regards

Tags
lewmar, lofrans, maxwell, wind, windlass