Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2024, 07:05   #31

Re: NO to Strobe anchor lights (please!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
The use of strobes has also become a problem in some of the anchorages in the Bahamas.

Maybe all the other boats should just hail “the boat with the flashing strobe, are you in need of assistance? Is there an emergency on board”?

After a couple dozen calls, maybe they’ll turn it off???

If not, maybe a dinghy circle in the middle of the night…. A couple dozen dinghy’s circling the strobe boat yelling is everyone ok.
We've frequented very crowded anchorages in popular vacation ports for many years. We anchor for weeks at a time and have seen a number of 'medical distress' calls over the years.

The sad part is, when the Harbormaster or CG come to respond, one of the things they ask people to do is to repeatedly flash their anchor light. This allows them to more easily locate the boat from across the harbor.

Now, imagine what happens when there are 5 boats using the flashing strobe for their fancy. I wouldn't want to be the person in need of medical assistance.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 07:23   #32
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

A strobe is NOT a COLREGS distress signal. That is ONLY US inland waters. Not even coastal waters.

ANNEX IV -
Distress Signals
1. The following signals, used or exhibited either together or separately,
indicate distress and need of assistance:
(a) a gun or other explosive signal fired at intervals of about a minute;
(b) a continuous sounding with any fog-signaling apparatus;
(c) rockets or shells, throwing red stars fired one at a time at short
intervals;
(d) a signal made by radiotelegraphy or by any other signaling method
consisting of the group . . .– – –. . . (SOS) in the Morse Code;
(e) a signal sent by radiotelephony consisting of the spoken word
“Mayday”;
(f) the International Code Signal of distress indicated by N.C.;
(g) a signal consisting of a square flag having above or below it a ball
or anything resembling a ball;
(h) flames on the vessel (as from a burning tar barrel, oil barrel, etc.);
(i) a rocket parachute flare or a hand flare showing a red light;
(j) a smoke signal giving off orange-colored smoke;
(k) slowly and repeatedly raising and lowering arms outstretched to
each side;
(l) the radiotelegraph alarm signal;
(m) the radiotelephone alarm signal;
(n) signals transmitted by emergency position-indicating radio beacons;
(o) approved signals transmitted by radiocommunication systems,
including survival craft radar transponders.
Old 19-01-2024, 07:29   #33

Boat: Dolphin 460 - Hull # 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Thank God I haven't seen those yet. The super bright LED anchor lights are bad enough.
No joke..! I cam across one at anchor and for the next few anchorages I was praying that boat didn't show up..!!

Isn't there a max Lumins for anchor lights..?
H0BBES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 08:29   #34

Boat: Furtuna 37', 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
A flashing light distress signal is US inland water only. Not international.

Captain?
Not true. International distress signal is a flashing white light. Which a strobe light is. Talk to the French sailors. Only people using it in the Caribbean.
Roux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 08:36   #35

Boat: Furtuna 37', 1980

And nobody dare to say that it is mainly the French boats using flashing anchor lights?
Old 19-01-2024, 08:39   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roux View Post
Not true. International distress signal is a flashing white light. Which a strobe light is. Talk to the French sailors. Only people using it in the Caribbean.

Please post the regulation. That is all that I did, so what I posted is true. But there could be another local law in the islands. Honest, I think we would all like to know.

But common practice does not make a thing into law or correct.
Old 19-01-2024, 08:52   #37

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roux View Post
And nobody dare to say that it is mainly the French boats using flashing anchor lights?
I second that. Mostly french boats in french harbors. Was very noticeable in Marigot bay and also Deshaies during our night approaches with several strobes and some boats with no lights at all.
rjwdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 09:11   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_123 View Post
I'm in the Caribbean and unlike in previous years I'm seeing strobe lights being used as anchor lights at many different anchorages. I like to sit on deck at night and look at the stars, but it's ruined whenever there's a boat with a strobe light nearby. You literally can't look in that general direction as your peripheral vison picks up the flashes. Imagine if all the boats in an anchorage had one?
Please don't be that boat owner - it's completely selfish and quite offensive to all of your neighbours!
Agree! No strobes!

Also in the Caribbean. Several strobes here in Martinique, most quick frequency. Some boats use slowly shifting red, blue, green, white LED. Not too obnoxious. We bought tiny blue LEDs in a clear PVC tube situated all around the lifelines, solar charge. These are low watt and not obvious beyond 200 meters. We also have solar charged Home Depot subdued patio lights in the cockpit. This is better all around white than a masthead. We also have SOLAS reflective tape applied to the main, mizzen, both booms. Any flashlight illuminates these dramatically.

The issue is that 99% of the boats here have permanent dodgers and Bimini tops. You cannot see nearby mast lights. On deck mast lights disappear against shore lights. Many anchored or moored boats are unlighted. CG mandated all around white satisfies CG and insurance but does little to address the need and true purpose. To Avoid Collision. Why do we universally stick the warning light so high it can’t be seen? Ours is 80 feet. I’m more concerned about sea level than aircraft warning. A strobe on top is no better than a steady light.

BTW transiting Nova Scotia and Maine we found the strobe commands a large diameter flashing ball even in daylight. Added to fog signals and AIS this helped several “dark” fishing boats locate us. We found them on radar but no radios or AIS, stupid.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 09:15   #39

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
CG mandated all around white satisfies CG and insurance but does little to address the need and true purpose. To Avoid Collision. Why do we universally stick the warning light so high it can’t be seen? Ours is 80 feet. I’m more concerned about sea level than aircraft warning

Agreed, putting an anchor light at the top of a tall mast is often done just because it's the "easy" place to put it. I'd much rather see a pair of lights on the sides of the mast (so they provide 360* light) down lower. Still meets the rule and is much more visible. And some additional lighting beyond that to show some boat shape is also a good idea.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 09:21   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Agree! No strobes!

Also in the Caribbean. Several strobes here in Martinique, most quick frequency. Some boats use slowly shifting red, blue, green, white LED. Not too obnoxious. We bought tiny blue LEDs in a clear PVC tube situated all around the lifelines, solar charge. These are low watt and not obvious beyond 200 meters. We also have solar charged Home Depot subdued patio lights in the cockpit. This is better all around white than a masthead. We also have SOLAS reflective tape applied to the main, mizzen, both booms. Any flashlight illuminates these dramatically.

The issue is that 99% of the boats here have permanent dodgers and Bimini tops. You cannot see nearby mast lights. On deck mast lights disappear against shore lights. Many anchored or moored boats are unlighted. CG mandated all around white satisfies CG and insurance but does little to address the need and true purpose. To Avoid Collision. Why do we universally stick the warning light so high it can’t be seen? Ours is 80 feet. I’m more concerned about sea level than aircraft warning. A strobe on top is no better than a steady light.

BTW transiting Nova Scotia and Maine we found the strobe commands a large diameter flashing ball even in daylight. Added to fog signals and AIS this helped several “dark” fishing boats locate us. We found them on radar but no radios or AIS, stupid.

a. The USCG did not establish the lighting rules. They are international and data back to the Steam Navigation Act of 1846, UK.

b. The anchor light does not need to be at the top of the mast. It has to be where it can best be seen.

c. The rule encourages deck lighting. It is required > 100 feet, optional if smaller.

Read the rule and the annexes.
Old 19-01-2024, 09:26   #41

Boat: Beneteau 393

Lets stay on topic, nice to know every nuance of the strobe convention, but i think this is serious as well. Sitting in Ste Snne Martinique, the frequency of boats with strobes is increasing. Last year on the way through it was annoying, now frustrating. Sitting in a darkened cockpit contemplating life with a spouse and being lit up every 4 seconds wants me wish for a pellet gun for christmas. Stop it if your doing it.
twrdocktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 11:14   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by twrdocktor View Post
Lets stay on topic....
I thought the thread was on topic.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 11:57   #43

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You can tell its winter in the Northern Hemisphere--the keyboard warriors are out in force.

Personally, I always put a legal anchor light on at night, but depending on the situation I will supplement it with other lights. My rules are the only ones that count, and I don't live my life worrying about lawyers:

1. I don't want to be hit.
2. I want to find my boat in the anchorage
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 12:58   #44

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

These strobe style anchor lights are really no good idea. There are Solas rules for lighting and everyone should follow them, if everyone makes up their own solution it will quickly become a mess for everyone.

I do suspect some folks use them to more easily find their own vessel in a crowded anchorage at night.

In the times of LED nothing speaks against leaving an additional white light on at night illuminating rig/superstructure or cabin to some extent. These lights should be pointed downwards to not reduce vision of approaching vessels to much.
Old 19-01-2024, 13:13   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Each stanchion on our boat has a cheap solar garden light from the dollar store and a masthead anchor light. We never have a problem finding our boat in the dark.

Tags
anchor, lease