Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2009, 14:50   #31

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Girl View Post
1 x 25 kilo rocna - on 80m of chain
1 x 65lb CQR (currently in locker as displaced by rocna)
1 x 45lb CQR - in anchor locker on bow as official secondary - on 10m chain + 50m rope
1 x about 20 kg fortress on stern used as stern anchor (for Med mooring) and kedge on 10m chain and 30m rope
1 x 25pb Fishermans on stern

Variety of battle plans depending on conditions, including depth.

Plus 2 dinghy anchors.

It may seem like it's too rich, but it's our most important insurance.
Seems about the right number of anchors to me! You can't have too many anchors. People lose anchors in harbors with heavy debris on the bottom, and sometimes people lose them in coral. Sometimes an anchor rode parts. Sometimes another boat drags down on your anchor and dislodges it. (I've had that happen before). Sometimes you have to abandon an anchor because another yacht is dragging down on you in a storm. Their anchor is sliding down your anchor rode because their anchor is hooked on your rode. It's only a matter of time before they hit you because you are both lying to your anchor rode.

Since the safety of my yacht in a hundred remote locations depends on my anchors, I want anchors and back-up anchors that are good for every bottom in all weather conditions.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 17:33   #32

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Seems about the right number of anchors to me! You can't have too many anchors. People lose anchors in harbors with heavy debris on the bottom, and sometimes people lose them in coral. Sometimes an anchor rode parts. Sometimes another boat drags down on your anchor and dislodges it. (I've had that happen before). Sometimes you have to abandon an anchor because another yacht is dragging down on you in a storm. Their anchor is sliding down your anchor rode because their anchor is hooked on your rode. It's only a matter of time before they hit you because you are both lying to your anchor rode.

Since the safety of my yacht in a hundred remote locations depends on my anchors, I want anchors and back-up anchors that are good for every bottom in all weather conditions.
I just lost an anchor w/60' of chain last August. The motor died and had to drop anchor to keep from drifting under a bridge. Then I couldn't retrieve it. I assume it was stuck under the river trash that collected around the swing bridge.

Now it's been replaced with the same type that saved the boat (15 kg claw).
Old 14-11-2009, 18:22   #33

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I just lost an anchor w/60' of chain last August. The motor died and had to drop anchor to keep from drifting under a bridge. Then I couldn't retrieve it. I assume it was stuck under the river trash that collected around the swing bridge.

Now it's been replaced with the same type that saved the boat (15 kg claw).
That's an excellent reason to keep an anchor ready for instant deployment. We all have our anchoring rituals, and some require more time than others to execute. We batten things down when sailing offshore, and we pass a bolt through the anchor shank to make sure the anchor doesn't come adrift in big seas. The bolt is drilled to accept a cotter pin to keep the bolt in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow-fitting-2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	11102

In this picture, the anchor is secured in position. As soon as we get near shore, we pull out the cotter pin holding the bolt in place, remove the bolt, and the anchor can be instantly deployed.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 10:23   #34

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Speaking of Anchors ...

Might be gimmick stuff but ...
Has anyone seen, used or even heard of one of these?
Dulmison Marine Pty Ltd
IF they work, they may have a practical use at times.

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 11:31   #35

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Looks like a Danforth style but wider and more moving parts to bind up. Not for me!
Old 16-11-2009, 04:25   #36

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - A Fortress anchor without any chain leader does exactly the same thing - it flies forward through the water gradually working it way to the bottom. That is one reason why a chain leader - 30 to 50 feet(9-15m) is necessary. Otherwise you could have lunch waiting for the anchor to get to the bottom. this Flook seems to be designed to "fly" which would make it an ideal anchor for a "stern anchor." After the bow anchor is well set you could deploy this anchor off the stern on nylon rode and it would "fly" out away from the boat all by itself eliminating the need to use a dinghy to get your stern anchor out far enough to get so decent scope.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 19:54   #37

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I currently have 3 on Espina. Primary is a 25lb CQR, second is a british thing cast in bronze, weighs about 15 lbs, which is my lunch hook. Lastly I carry a 35lb Fisherman for kedging.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor