Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 06:35   #16

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I frequently use my maxwell horizontal windlass drum to pull up the secondary anchor with a nylon rode spliced to 30 ft of chain. The problem is only cosmetic, as 2 wraps of chain around the drum gives me plenty of friction.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:52   #17

I have a horizonal windlass with one side having a rope/chain gyspy and the other just the drum. I use 80 ft of chain spliced to the nylon rode on the primary side with a 45 lb anchor while on the drum side is a 25 lb danford with about 15 feet of chain and then nylon. I can raise that danford using the drum with the nylon rode wrapped around it, but when the chain comes to the drum I find it easier to just forgo the drum and just pull directly. If in shallow water and need to break the anchor out I have put the chain around a bow cleat. Also done that to rest as I'm heaving on the muddy chain plus the chain does not go directly into the anchor locker but remains on deck to be washed off.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 16:28   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Actually on my near 60ft sailboat, I installed 400 ft of 3/8" chain in the bow chain lockers. 200 ft for each anchor. We launched the boat and motored it over to the seawall to finish up getting it ready to go. I was wondering why the folks watching were all snickering or laughing until we tied up and my friend said - "never seen a boat with its bow so deep in the water that the under-stern was visible."
Okay, I've gotta say I'm genuinely surprised. That 400' of 3/8" chain would weigh less than 300Kg (about 50Kg per 23 metres), so the effect should be the same as having three or four crew members standing on the bow. I really wouldn't have expected such an issue with that weight on a 60' boat - goes to show I guess there's always something to surprise. In fact, you've got me intrigued enough now to try it out in one of the 60 footers on our anchorage.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 17:26   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
There are an almost unlimited amount of different hull shapes and balance in the sailboat world. So some will be very sensitive to excess bow weight and others not.
- - But really the OP is asking about how to deal with a mixed nylon/chain rode on a windlass drum. I think the suggestion about self-vulcanizing rubber electrical tape is quite good, although you would need a good supply of it onboard the boat. A chain along with mud and sea water should shred it or accelerate its loosening and falling off the drum. Maybe some appropriately sized cuff or sleeve or even maybe a leather sleeve might work better. It could be cut with provisions for "lacing" it to the drum.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rode