Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2024, 14:29   #31

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Obsessed with anchor snubbers

Quote:
1 Nylon rode is then left engaged in dual chain gypsy, yet load is taken to mooring cleats, off the windlass as recommended. 2 any chafe is taken by snubber, which is easy and cheap to replace, not chafing a spot on 70 meters of expensive 8-plait. Bonus 3 I used a snubber bridle, which seems to reduce swinging and sailing on the anchor.
Yep, you can do that, but not needed for 95% of our nights at anchor when on a mixed rode. Using the plastic tubing chafing gear running over an anchor roller I have never detected any chafing over thousands of nights at anchor. Tubular nylon webbing is also very good. Not having to deal with a snubber also makes it much easier to let out a little more scope or to pull some in as may be required. It is really great to be able to simply let out another 20 feet of nylon when a blow kicks in at 0200. In my observations of those using snubbers probably 90% are way too short and/or way too heavy to do the job properly of relieving peak loads on the system.
Old 23-01-2024, 14:36   #32

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

In questionable weather, a tied on snubber may be a safer way to do things (unless you have a really, really long snubber). Then if you decide to let out more scope, you can just leave the snubber attached to the rode, dump it into the water and worry about it on retrieval. And add another snubber once you've deployed extra rode.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 15:01   #33

Quote:
In questionable weather, a tied on snubber may be a safer way to do things (unless you have a really, really long snubber). Then if you decide to let out more scope, you can just leave the snubber attached to the rode, dump it into the water and worry about it on retrieval. And add another snubber once you've deployed extra rode.
Lots of people are using chain hooks and have the other end of their snubber line attached to the boat in such a way that it requires hauling in some chain or rode to release the snubber. This usually works fine, but not when there is a sudden squall at 0200 and you need more scope out NOW! Any setup has to anticipate how easy it will be to either deploy more scope quickly or retrieve the anchor quickly, with lots of load on the system, screaming wind, a pitching bow, and no light. Must keep that in mind.
Old 23-01-2024, 16:31   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Lots of people are using chain hooks and have the other end of their snubber line attached to the boat in such a way that it requires hauling in some chain or rode to release the snubber. This usually works fine, but not when there is a sudden squall at 0200 and you need more scope out NOW! Any setup has to anticipate how easy it will be to either deploy more scope quickly or retrieve the anchor quickly, with lots of load on the system, screaming wind, a pitching bow, and no light. Must keep that in mind.
My snubber is about 14m & when in use it's all on deck through a few pulleys then big long soft shackle into the chain. Works great. Steel deck has a fabricated chain grab welded to it so a tap with a big toe as the windlass slows to a stop is all that's needed to secure the chain to the boat. Makes it so simple to take in or let out some chain plus a nice clean snubber with no jellyfish stings in it. And it can all be tidied away before raising the hook & getting under way.
Might be worth a play..
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2024, 18:02   #35

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
No matter how much chain you have out it will straighten out and you will regret it.
Not in my experience. We anchored all over The Bahamas without a snubber per se. Chain was secured to the bow cleats by a pair of fairly stout nylon strops, intended to give a couple of feet worth of "shock absorption." Plenty of scope despite the shallow water, and we comfortably sat out a few blows peaking in the 35-40 range. With a proper amount of chain it is virtually impossible to "straighten" it out.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 07:17   #36

Quote:
Plenty of scope despite the shallow water, and we comfortably sat out a few blows peaking in the 35-40 range. With a proper amount of chain it is virtually impossible to "straighten" it out.
Maybe it technically isn't absolutely straight, but there sure isn't any softening of the ride from catenary above 20-30 knots. I've had the chain go tight enough to feel like we're hitting rocks or something hard, while pulling it in during in a blow because I always use a long snubber otherwise. I know someone who had their bow roller torn off and then the anchor chain started to saw down through the hull. Previous discussion of this: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...in-215250.html
Old 24-01-2024, 15:49   #37

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Maybe it technically isn't absolutely straight, but there sure isn't any softening of the ride from catenary above 20-30 knots. I've had the chain go tight enough to feel like we're hitting rocks or something hard, while pulling it in during in a blow because I always use a long snubber otherwise. I know someone who had their bow roller torn off and then the anchor chain started to saw down through the hull. Previous discussion of this: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...in-215250.html
If it's jarring at the 20-30 kt range, then you probably don't have enough chain out. If you've lifted all the chain off the sea-bed, you haven't put out sufficient scope. imho
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor