Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you could choose only ONE type of anchor sailing around the world
Bugel 6 1.71%
Delta 42 12.00%
CQR 64 18.29%
Rocna 97 27.71%
Spade 25 7.14%
Manson Supreme 30 8.57%
Fortress 12 3.43%
Danforth 24 6.86%
Hydrobubble 4 1.14%
Other 46 13.14%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 19:40   #211

Boat: Lotus 10.6
pirate

Just packing my bags ready to go on a VACATION.(I heard I may be about to win one courtesay of CF)

It is funny really. After I went to the boat show in Auckland I was all set to buy a Rocna. I watched the video they kept showing at their stand and thought wow....Then after reading into things on this forum I have gone right off the idea. They are probably ok but I just wouldn't do it now. As Midlandone says, I would rather deal with the professional outfit.
Old 09-01-2008, 20:39   #212
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Rocna use Steve D
Who??? Honestly, I have never heard of him.
Hmm, so does that say something about endorsments?
I think most of us realise an endorsment is only a paid advertisment. The guy is being paid in someway to represent a product. The person may or may not have actually used it or may have used it, but not continuing to use it. What ever.

Personaly, I like the Supreme. I think it is one very pretty design. Lots of good idea's. I very much like the tip. I was thinking i might put a tip like that on mine.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 22:03   #213
Marine Service Provider

Oh..Thomas let Seafox stay up late, lucky Seafox I think the vacation CF had in mind is a week of scrubbing and polishing Wheels boat, masthead to bottom of the keel I'm not sure that's my idea of fun, actually it's not, I've just done it to mine and Wheels is a lot bigger.

Don't knock Rocna just due to that. Sure I would do things a bit different but they are not a bunch of bunnies, except one maybe but that's more a personal issue he has in my opinion.

Don't knock the video quality either, that was mostly me and I can assure you (if you can't already guess) I'm no Steven Spielberg. I thought Craig did a good job editing into a more usable format to give 'some' idea of how it works. I did like his clever and well done animation bit, very cool. Again I (we i.e you) would have done it slightly differently I'm sure but then we are not Rocna. If you watch the vid you may even see me, I'm the real cute one with sexy legs

At the end of the day it is marketing. It's just the same as most do to varying degrees of effectiveness. It will always have a slant towards the target product and try to knock the competitors. The way to look at the Rocna marketing is the same as you look at anyone else's, with a grain of salt, as they say. Yes there is one or 2 things that are just wrong but they are mostly in the peripheral and does not detract from the high performance the product itself has.

Yes, no argument that Manson is a classy very professional outfit. They wouldn't have been in business so long, make so many anchors and supply who they do if they weren't. They are an absolute joy to deal with, probably one of the best suppliers I have, very easily best when talking just anchors. Something one or 2 others certainly aren't.

I'm in with Midlandone a bit with his comment the Spade and derivatives are pretty similar performance wise. Every thing we have seen and done suggests the only differences 'maybe' right up near breakout so a place 99% of boaters will never see or even be likely to get near anyway. The biggest differences are price and the subtle differing features each have.

I also agree Midlandone could do some work on his spite issue It will only get worse if left untreated. I'd prescribe a month or so in the Bay of Island, anchored on a Rocna obviously, while being hand feed cold beers and crackers by a Rocna representative, maybe one who does look good in a bikini though (you're out of that one luckily Craig ). I'm sure that will fix the issue and get him back on an even keel.

The '25% more' comment was made by me not any manufacturer I'm aware of. It is the average number we seem to be getting between the newer ones (inc the alloy Spades) and the Delta (just ahead of good plows) in our playing generally. Note: we have not done comparisons between flat anchors i.e the Fortress and the plow/spade styles fully as yet. The Fortress (most danforth patterns) does get bloody good numbers in soft bottom though, bloody good. Let down a lot on harder ones though.

Steve Dashew (I hope I spelt it right) is a bit of a cruising guru or so I'm told. He had a boat called Windhorse (I think that's the one) build here by Kelly Archer. A very 'interesting' beast which I do quite like in a funny way even though it has no sails. Steve was a tried and true Bruce fan and wouldn't use anything else. He now has a Rocna on the bow and has been singing it's praises. Mind you the anchor would probably hold a small container ship it is that large (Steve is a self professed fan of BIG is not big enough) and I've no idea if Steve is comparing it to Bruce's only or a decent range. I'm pretty sure Steve didn't get paid to say anything though.

So now answer my questions posed a few posts back and let me do some work
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 22:14   #214
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey there isn't a catagory for my anchor in the poll

Old 09-01-2008, 22:59   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
But isn't your anchor the one with wheels on it?
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 23:11   #216

No offense but one of the problems I have with Dashew's advice is every other line is 'its in my book which you can buy on my site'.
Now I understand he's in the money making business,,,but he's also seriously into the self promotion business also. And besides, he's now a powerboater anyway . I just find it hard to believe that there's any 'hocus pocus' that separates the rocna from the manson from the spade to the degree claimed. Furthermore, its hard to justify the cost differential when you could conceivably just go up one more size in the other anchors and most likely equal the performace of whomever is actually the best. After all, I don't care if it takes another 10 lbs of weight to get the same performance when it saves me a third or more of the price.

In any event, going to have some fun building these. One of my guys says he might have found enough scrap 316 plate to use

OH, and .the comment on the weight of his size and weight of Dashews rocna is well placed. A metal cube of that size would probably hold that aluminum boat of his just about as well hehehe

As for ultimate holding power, One thing to consider, ever take a look at the anchors they use to hold down the North Sea Oil Platforms? ..They look a lot like a bruce. Since a lot of bux are at risk if those things move, makes you wonder..I presume some of those bux were spent in figuring out what kind of anchor worked best on a cost/benefit ratio, but I'll admit, I havn't researched it.

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 00:55   #217
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
..They look a lot like a bruce.
That is where Bruce was born. The original design concept was from those Oil rig anchors.
Quote:
In any event, going to have some fun building these.
If you want the diamensions, give me a yell ;-)
Hey where's Craig. With all this baiting, I thought he would ahve poped out of the woodwork by now.

And hey, what's the story with Rcna now producing their anchor with a slot down the shank? I thought they were rubishing that idea?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:51   #218

Quote:
I want to change my vote to one of Wheels's sparkling "Copyarocna" brand stainless anchors.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:32   #219

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
How about putting a sketch in the gallery. I am sure there are many who would like a looksie.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:47   #220
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The photo's are in the Gallery and also above in this thread.

I studied a real Rocna in the shop yesterday and I am quite confident there are many differences between mine and theirs that it can't be considered I copied them. I still think mine has a few improvements. And I think I can add a few more. But also in all seriousness, I would never build an anchor for someone else. It is one thing to put your trust in something you do yourself, but I could never sleep at night if I thought Darryl and Paula for instance, was out there in some blow trusting in my creation to keep the safe. Too big a risk for me sorry.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:55   #221

I wonder if rocna are going to copy you and do a stainless version?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:18   #222

Boat: Endeavour E40
Quote:
That is where Bruce was born. The original design concept was from those Oil rig anchors.

Hey where's Craig. With all this baiting, I thought he would ahve poped out of the woodwork by now.

And hey, what's the story with Rcna now producing their anchor with a slot down the shank? I thought they were rubishing that idea?
A SLOT DOWN THE SHANK !?!

Now ROCNA said that was a BIG "no-no" because it made the anchor WEAK,
such as MANSON SUPREME..... what gives, here ?!?

If this type anchor REALLY digs in and holds like advertised, AND as several sailors here have indicated, pulls up a ton of bottom, I could only think that a "slot down the shank" is a GRAND IDEA.......oops...but hold on...... ROCNA will be a "COPYCAT" ???????

And if that story is true, I guess ROCNA will be LOWERING their high price because they'll be cutting back on that SUPER STEEL they use !!

I just poking fun here, because I believe ROCNA has a fine anchor....
but the PRICE DIFFERENCE is just too much to ignore!.......

My new MANSON SUPREME should be shipping from the WEST MARINE South Carolina Warehouse (where it was back-ordered due to heavy SALES VOLUME) any day now............

I'm like a "kid at Christmas" anytime I get something new for HIGH COTTON !
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:54   #223

Boat: Trismus 37
As a new Rocna convert I think the slot will definitely be an improvement for those who knowingly anchor amongst rocks as it will bring the Rocna into line with the Supreme. Another technique apparently used here in NZ with anchors that don't have a slot is to fasten the chain near the base of the shank and to cable tie (strong) the chain through the normal chain connection hole when they know they are going to anchor in amongst rocks. I expect that would only be used as a day time / short stay solution.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 16:54   #224
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Don't think Rocna and Craig and them guys are cutting a slot in the shank.
My B/S alert went on red today when I saw that message.

Nothing on the Rocna page about a slot anyway.

As a recent Rocna convert I am fairly happy about the anchor.
Not raving about it yet as I only have 6 months and limited experience with it.
So far I am impressed and the chunk of expensive metal have met my expectations and then some.
With a few more miles under the belt I should be able to put the thing in harms way and hopefully feel realy good the next morning

I loved my Delta, but I think this thing may be a step up in terms of safety and convenience.
Old 10-01-2008, 17:31   #225

Boat: Endeavour E40
What size DELTA do you have and how'd it perform for you?
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor