Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you could choose only ONE type of anchor sailing around the world
Bugel 6 1.71%
Delta 42 12.00%
CQR 64 18.29%
Rocna 97 27.71%
Spade 25 7.14%
Manson Supreme 30 8.57%
Fortress 12 3.43%
Danforth 24 6.86%
Hydrobubble 4 1.14%
Other 46 13.14%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 17:38   #226
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
What size DELTA do you have and how'd it perform for you?
I had a 55 lbs (25KG) Delta for 6 years and it performed great except in soft mud and once it let go in grass/sand=bad holding bottom.
Overall I was very happy with the Delta, but this new Rocna thing seems to be a bit better so I went down from 55 to 44, less weight but more holding power..
Old 10-01-2008, 21:43   #227
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Don't think Rocna and Craig and them guys are cutting a slot in the shank.
My B/S alert went on red today when I saw that message.
No BS. Trust me, there is a slot in at least one of their models anyway. I don't know if it is just one model of if they are all going to have it. But there is a slot.
Either that, or someone has made an exact copy.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 21:48   #228
Marine Service Provider

Rocna 44 plus 25% odd means it's holding is probably similar to a 55 Delta. The weight saving is a good thing though and the better setting. So at least 2 out of 3 is a good win for you CYS. Then again if you dragging a 55 Delta around it's a lot more than an anchor issue. A 20kg anchor on a 33ft is rather large. My 32fter generally has a 4.5kg alloy Spade (9kg in steel) and that held so well in lump sea with 45+ knt winds I didn't think I'd get it back at labour weekend. Took nearly 1/2 a bloody hour to get the prick to let go, the bastard thing. Real hard packed sand, I dived there hunting scallops last week, none there, bummer.

Had a bloke into with a light weight 36fter and Rocna specified a 20kg for that as well. He'll also stay very put, I just hope he can get it back if he hangs off it in a blow. Mind you every other boat of his type here have no issues with 16kg Deltas so I'm wondering why such a big anchor was called for. This guys boat is only a couple of feet longer version of mine and I have an anchor 25% the weight if his and 1/4 of the chain and I have perfect anchoring results. Maybe someone at Rocna got confused and though he asked for a mooring weight. There seems to be a pattern of oversizing their anchors by a lot.

"My 25lb plough was OK but my new Rocna specified 15kg is so much better" What a surprise.... NOT

Spent Xmas on a 15lb Supreme and while it was reasonably tame weather wise it worked and felt pretty damn good. Stopped for a fish in a 20knt odd seabrezze and nasty chop, when sweet as. Even caught a Genisis 32ft fizzy nasty on my trolling line, the prick. Tried the Supreme in a couple of nasty spots and bounced the boat on it a few times, all good.

Yes you can now get Rocnas with rockslots. Interesting and rather large change of mindset by them. Manson must be sitting there laughing their tits off after what has been said. I must check to see if the page on the Rocna website about copies has been modified or removed I must admit to having a quiet giggle myself a few months back when I found out. Sad to say but watch this space, Manson may not be the only ones laughing shortly, nevermind you reap what you sow I suppose.

Nevermind I'm off to Waiheke now. Have a fun weekend all and try not to rupture anything when retrieving your oversized rocksloted Supreme clone mooring weight .
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 23:51   #229

Boat: Trismus 37
Grant was that a 15lb supreme or 15kg supreme you were using??
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:57   #230

One thing i've never understood about these anchor companies is that they keep making recommendations on the basis of LOA which really doesn't reflect the needs of the boat...Heck of a difference between a 30 foot IOR racer's needs and that of 30 foot full keel heavy displacement cruiser. I suppose you could add to that the type of places anchored, bottoms, whether the boat has a sprit or not, whether its a tall PH, or a flush deck round the buoys type...

For me its always been a matter of finding someone with a lot of cruising years under his belt with a similar sized and type boat and ask what he's had work or not work for him. I think that would get you closer to what you need than following someone's chart.

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:17   #231

Boat: Trismus 37
You have to take their recommendations purely as a rule of thumb, some like Rocna use length and weight in their calculations, others length only, if in doubt go heavier, and of course ask those with experience. Which may be more difficult that appears at first glance, just look at this thread, many of the older experienced sailors have no experience of the new generation anchors. Whereas Gmac for one has had experience with all of them, yes he is a retailer but his advice is one of the most unbiased of any of the opinions offered.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:19   #232
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
There is a good reason for that Seer. It is not the weight of the boat that determins the anchor size, it is the windage. Or the square area of boat exposed to wind. However, once again the formulae becomes in accurate. Is the boat a sailboat or launch. If Launch, does it have a flybridge or single deck etc. So although there is a ruff formulae, it still comes down to the supplier making a more accurate suggestion once the customer gives the supplier the finer details.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:44   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Yes you can now get Rocnas with rockslots. Interesting and rather large change of mindset by them. Manson must be sitting there laughing their tits off after what has been said. I must check to see if the page on the Rocna website about copies has been modified or removed.
Yes, noticed the other day that Rocna have removed the "Manson are evil copycats" page - jerks that they are . Didn't know why tho' til Alan and you mentioned the slot.

Oh, not only Manson been laughing their tits off .

I would really love to see NZ become the pre-eminent supplier of pleasure boat anchors from Manson and Rocna, but Rocna sure need to clean up their act both with their face on the web and the stuff on their web site if they want to capture those of us who don't drink snake oil.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 13:06   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
One thing I've never understood about these anchor companies is that they keep making recommendations on the basis of LOA which really doesn't reflect the needs of the boat...
They need to suggest something so find the anchor by the charts and go up one size. This works as a general rule of thumb for cruising. You will be carrying more tonnage than an ordinary recreational boat will. It's extra sail area you also watch out for. Going two sizes may not such a good idea.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 13:40   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
There is a good reason for that Seer. It is not the weight of the boat that determins the anchor size, it is the windage. Or the square area of boat exposed to wind. However, once again the formulae becomes in accurate. Is the boat a sailboat or launch. If Launch, does it have a flybridge or single deck etc. So although there is a ruff formulae, it still comes down to the supplier making a more accurate suggestion once the customer gives the supplier the finer details.
True enough Alan, but for us "full figured" guys (the boat, not me heheh) its not just the windage or even mostly the windage I sweat, its the water flows. Having done *most* of my sailing off the Pac Northwest, currents and tidal flows can be a big deal when you're inside the passage and lots of rocks and other nasties all around to hit. I imagine its much the same for big river guys. In the calm of a smooth anchorage, you have a lot more time to make sure what you have gets set...but when I 'really' need some bite, and RIGHT NOW!, is , well take for instance the guy who just lost his boat coming out past the jetty in florida this last week...I notice there was nothing in the article or his interview about him trying to set the anchor.... What he saw was a jetty, what I saw was a lee shore. Anchor down might have saved him,

it has saved me a time or two.

seer

seer
Old 11-01-2008, 13:49   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
They need to suggest something so find the anchor by the charts and go up one size. This works as a general rule of thumb for cruising. You will be carrying more tonnage than an ordinary recreational boat will. It's extra sail area you also watch out for. Going two sizes may not such a good idea.
I'm with you on this one Paul, the flukes may bite, or slip, but some extra weight on the bottom is almost always a good thing , if for nothing other than peace of mind

seer
Old 11-01-2008, 14:09   #237

Boat: Endeavour E40
When I ordered my new MANSON SUPREME I was thinking why don't they include a scale for weight... afterall, my ENDEAVOUR is only 40' but she's 25,000lbs, which is "stout" for a 40 footer.

I ordered the 45lb SUPREME, does anybody think that will be a problem for HIGH COTTON in South Florida?
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 14:15   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
When I ordered my new MANSON SUPREME I was thinking why don't they include a scale for weight... afterall, my ENDEAVOUR is only 40' but she's 25,000lbs, which is "stout" for a 40 footer.

I ordered the 45lb SUPREME, does anybody think that will be a problem for HIGH COTTON in South Florida?
What were you running before? Sounds about right to me from what I've seen and read.

seer
Old 11-01-2008, 14:23   #239

Boat: Endeavour E40
HIGH COTTON had two (2) 45lb CQR's on a double roller..... and the previous owner (old guy, of course, I'm 60, so I mean OLD!) had the boat in the Carribean all the way to VENEZUELA for the last 5 years......
He's gone to "the BIG pond in the sky" so I couldn't ask him how they did.
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 14:44   #240

Has anyone bought one of these?

Found these on ebay, has anyone ever used or known anyone that used one of these? A 50 or 70 lb Bruce would hold a lot of boat..man that's cheap too.

eBay Store - North Star Marine Supplies incl. Anchors and Inflatables: Boats

Hell, I might buy one as a back up.

seer

Tags
anchor