Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you could choose only ONE type of anchor sailing around the world
Bugel 6 1.71%
Delta 42 12.00%
CQR 64 18.29%
Rocna 97 27.71%
Spade 25 7.14%
Manson Supreme 30 8.57%
Fortress 12 3.43%
Danforth 24 6.86%
Hydrobubble 4 1.14%
Other 46 13.14%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 00:15   #406
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
It's interesting that 25% chose ROCNA, and only 8% chose MANSON SUPREME which is basically the same, but MANSON SUPREME having the advantage of a "slot" and MUCHO CHEAPER!
Easy to pick something in a poll. I'd suggest actual sales would show the real answer. And I heavily suspect you'll find the results are somewhat different.

Either way I'd also say that the Spade and it's derivatives are by far now the biggest selling anchors out there numbers wise.

The days of the plow are now very obviously numbered.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:38   #407
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The days of the plow are now very obviously numbered.
Overall numbers realy don't tell much. Most anchors stay dry for most of the time. The ones that are used all the time are out in places where you have to use an anchor and set it properly. Even people that cruise occasionally are a very small minority of boat owners. That makes the number of boats out there really doing the most performance anchor testing to be a tiny fracyion of a small minority. At that point it is hard to seperate the achor from the sailor's skill.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 14:21   #408
Marine Service Provider

I'm just talking about the number of being sold in each variety. The consumers are now preferring to buy the newer designs over the older designs. It appears the newer ones have reached that critical mass that kicks in the copy cat buying. By that I mean a very large number of anchors are chosen because 'my mate has one' or 'all the boats around me have those'. A very large proportion of anchors sold are copy cat buys.

Or at least that is what is happening down here. Then again we do seem to be at the frontline of the anchor wars and have had the newer designs available for quite a while longer than most countries. We also tend to boat in areas that demand good gear.

Not sure if the performance testing you talk about Paul applies here either. The newer designs are on all types of boats covering pretty much the whole range of boating activity so we get to see how they go possibly better than most. That includes many boats driven by idiots, we certianly do have our fair share.

It's all on here at the moment. 2 specific anchors are being given away in an attempt to either defend or gain market share. One older design and one new one. I'd say the old one is a defensive move as they also see the writing on the wall but they have had it pretty good so can't complain really. The other new one I think is just trying to get to the critical mass and also trying to minimise the downside effects of a similar type which is noticeably rolling over it in the market place.

At the end of the day most people don't care what anchor they have as long as the don't drag 'that much'. It appears some are happy if they drag only once in every 100 anchorings sort of thing, weird but true. It's only really the old school and hardened cruising boaters who take the time to look hard before buying or swapping anchors. That section still has no clear favourite anchor but it is heading fast into the 'which of the new designs will I have' area. In that area they have a nice and fast growing selection to choose from. But as they are all pretty identical in performance and generally perform far in excess of what is actually required, the choice is often driven by how much they believe all of the often dodgy marketing.

It's quite interesting to watch both the sellers actions and those of the boating public's in relation to all of this going on. Also just how much people are willing to believe some obviously biased statements made on websites without actually checking. That comment applies to a huge range of gear not just anchors.

My ponderings for the morning. Off to take the local primary school sailing now, have a great day, I will
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 18:59   #409

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
When I look for new gear I first go to people I KNOW have the first hand knoweldge of whats its like to be out there, in the middle of a storm, or who have done real world testing on various products and DO NOT have a vested interest in sellling a product.
I go to practical sailor. They do not promote products that advertise on their magazine, because they take no advertising dollars. They do not test everything, nor do I always agree on their testing methods, but I believe they seek the truth. And as we older people know thru years of hard knocks, there are many types of truths, and many ways of getting their.

I also see what real world cruisers are using. People like the Dashews, and others like them. They are a source of invaluable information. Be it batteries, anchors, or pumps, they are sure to have s ome good information. Again, not necessary definetive, but well informed, and you can bet its been used a lot before they recomend something.

So for anchors, I will stick with my bruce for now, and get a Rocna or manson Supreme next. I will get a Luke and a fortress. Which one I use the most will depend on conditions. But you can bet that they will be oversized, with strong tackle, good snubbing, and pleanty of chain.
The thread of course is a misnomer, cause not one of us would only trust our boats to only one anchor, although I understand I think what the thread starter intended.

One thing is for sure, anchors are evolving and we the end user are better for it.
Now lets hope they can do that with a bilge switch as well...

Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 11:32   #410
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
diveristy is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
When I look for new gear I first go to people I KNOW have the first hand knoweldge of whats its like to be out there, in the middle of a storm, or who have done real world testing on various products and DO NOT have a vested interest in sellling a product.
I go to practical sailor. They do not promote products that advertise on their magazine, because they take no advertising dollars. They do not test everything, nor do I always agree on their testing methods, but I believe they seek the truth. And as we older people know thru years of hard knocks, there are many types of truths, and many ways of getting their.

I also see what real world cruisers are using. People like the Dashews, and others like them. They are a source of invaluable information. Be it batteries, anchors, or pumps, they are sure to have s ome good information. Again, not necessary definetive, but well informed, and you can bet its been used a lot before they recomend something.

So for anchors, I will stick with my bruce for now, and get a Rocna or manson Supreme next. I will get a Luke and a fortress. Which one I use the most will depend on conditions. But you can bet that they will be oversized, with strong tackle, good snubbing, and pleanty of chain.
The thread of course is a misnomer, cause not one of us would only trust our boats to only one anchor, although I understand I think what the thread starter intended.

One thing is for sure, anchors are evolving and we the end user are better for it.
Now lets hope they can do that with a bilge switch as well...

Bob
I have 4 different types of anchor on board: 22lb bruce on 300' of chain as my main anchor (it has worked reliably for many years fom Mexico to Alaska. a 45lb forfjord (for when things get really nasty), a 30lb U.S.Navy fluke (what the danforth was ptterned after) and a light wieght folding Northhill (kedging anchor or to keep my stern in place achoring in tight places...like bsy rivers). I *might* get a CQR...the weak points of the Bruce are the stong points of the CQR and vs vs so they complement each other. The only time only one type of anchor works is if the bottom conditions and weather are allways the same....and/or you onl yuse your heaviest storm anchor all the time. All of my anchors are old proven designs...abit heavy, but that is what winlesses are for.
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 11:53   #411

Boat: MJM 50 Z
Wolfenzee,
Having used a bruce and CQR, then moving to a spade.
The spade is better than both of the others put together. The spade and other new gen anchors, out perform the bruce in setting , holding and veering loads as well as setting and resetting better than the CQR.
Why carry anchors that have real weaknesses?

Does anybody know of a bottom type that- A. an experienced mariner would choose to anchor on and- B. an old school anchor performs better at than a new generation?

Carl
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 12:25   #412
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander40 View Post
Wolfenzee,
Having used a bruce and CQR, then moving to a spade.
The spade is better than both of the others put together. The spade and other new gen anchors, out perform the bruce in setting , holding and veering loads as well as setting and resetting better than the CQR.
Why carry anchors that have real weaknesses?

Does anybody know of a bottom type that- A. an experienced mariner would choose to anchor on and- B. an old school anchor performs better at than a new generation?

Carl
New Gen anchors may out perform Old School anchors on a larger variety of bottoms, but Old school anchors designed for specific bottoms can out perform New Gen. My Forfjord is an old school anchor used on fishing boats up here in the PNW(Washington, BC. and Alaska) and it will bury it'self deep....for it's physical size it's really heavy, but I prefer to use chain only anyway....which defeats the advantage of a lightwieght anchor......It is my perfered anchor in uncertain bottom/weather conditions and is definately old school
Old 14-04-2009, 13:13   #413
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Old school anchors designed for specific bottoms can out perform New Gen. My Forfjord is an old school anchor used on fishing boats up here in the PNW(Washington, BC. and Alaska) and it will bury it'self deep....
Sorry.. but can you prove that!..

Weight for weight any of the "new gen" anchor will BY FAR outperform your heavy Forfjord anchor, regardless of the conditions...

Joćo
Old 14-04-2009, 13:19   #414

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
A/ I don't know that its actually possible to have just one anchor. I like my Davis Talon and now thats pretty much all I use, but I do carry a 25lb danforth as a stern anchor, a Plow as a secondary anchor for use when other boats have two anchors out, and a small bruce as a dinghy anchor, Oh, yes, also have a 45 lb dnaforth in a locker as an emergency hook.
just for info Rhosyn mor is 38 feet, displaces 15600, Davis is 48 lbs, with 120' 3/8 BBB chain, 160 feet octoplait rode, all others are on short chain and 5/8 nylon
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 18:48   #415
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancora Latina View Post

Weight for weight any of the "new gen" anchor will BY FAR outperform your heavy Forfjord anchor, regardless of the conditions...

Joćo
I never said anything about performance pound for pound.....my only references to weight were that my forfjord was heavy for it's size and when using all chain (i use a windlass) made the advantage of a lightweight anchor moot. I am more concerned with the performance in the particular size...not weight. Also I can't afford to just go out and buy the latest greatest thing on the market, what I have are good solid proven anchors.....no reason to replace them,
Old 14-04-2009, 19:25   #416
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancora Latina View Post

Joćo
If your newgen anchor is 1/3 the weight as my 45forfjord for an anchor of the same physical size how is the holding power of a 15lb new gen vs a 45lb forfjord....if you want an anchor that is really easy to handle and dont care about expense. get a powered windlass.
Old 16-04-2009, 00:23   #417

Boat: Pearson 35 -Miss Annis
I was on the hook last night with a 45 pound bruce in 45 knot winds and 50 knot gusts.tow boat u s had to get several 40foot plus boats off the sandbar but the bruce kept me where I droped it. a great anchor.
Roscoe
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 01:19   #418

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
I was on the hook last night with a 45 pound bruce in 45 knot winds and 50 knot gusts.tow boat u s had to get several 40foot plus boats off the sandbar but the bruce kept me where I droped it. a great anchor.
Roscoe
Glad to hear your Bruce held. I think your experience last night does illustrate why good anchors are important. As a cruising yacht anchoring most of this time I see this sort of wind strength several times a year and a depressingly high percentage of boats drag.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 05:06   #419

Boat: MJM 50 Z
roscoe,
as a former Bruce user, I agree that it's one great anchor. Never let go, a few times it would move a little. The thing in your favor is that you are at least one size up from the recomended size. That helps a LOT.
Pound for pound though, the bruce is not in the same league as any of the new gen anchors. We are talking about a 2 to 4X factor here.
The Spade I use now hooks up much faster and hasn't moved an inch.

Carl
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 06:57   #420

Boat: Pearson 35 -Miss Annis
I allso carry a 44pound CQR and a fortress 25 pound I have two primary rhodes the CQR is on 100 foot of 3/8" chain with 300 foot 5/8 nylon The Bruce is on 20 foot 1/2inch SS chain and 300 foot of 3/4 nylon I carry an extre 100 foot of 1/2 inch nylon for the fortress that I keep in the laserath.This is also the rhode I use on my 30 foot drogue. as of yet I have never used it.
Roscoe
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor