Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 10:22   #301

Re: Open Source Anchor Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Tweaked it a bit. Should fit on a bow roller just fine, won't guarantee it won't bash your roller furling drum on it's way down. Dimensions provided in inches.
Actually, I wasn't paying attention and tweaked it too much. Now that I look at it, I have a clearance issue and you won't be able to rotate the shank sufficiently the way it's drawn to be able to withdraw it from the fluke.

I was going to take it down but figured I'll leave it up. When I have a chance to fix it I will repost so you can see the difference.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 11:03   #302

Ok, put a radius on the back end of the slot in the fluke. Let's you get the fluke out just barely with like zero clearance. In practice making it with an 1/8" of play fore and aft isn't going to matter to the joint when it is built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OSA1126.2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	71100  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OSA1126.2.pdf (54.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 26-11-2013, 14:21   #303

Sooner or later bound to get it right. Doesn't look quite as pretty with the funny curve on the bottom but this one should work. More like the geometry on the mock-up. I haven't ever done this joint with such an acute angle, little tricky. At least now we have a part we can FEA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OSA1126.3.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	71111  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OSA1126.3.pdf (53.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 27-11-2013, 08:00   #304

Boat: Endeavour 37

Maybe the next pdf could have a reference distance for length of shank?

Great work !

I can't wait to start building.
magicmoments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 08:30   #305

Like they say, "if you don't get it right the third time, do it again!"

I think we're where we want to be with this last version, bottle opener included. The big fat radius on the inside of the shank makes it stronger, also turns out to be the trick to rotating out the shank from the fluke, learn something new everyday.

I ditched the 1/4" thick plate on the bottom of the fluke BTW, really it was just a shim that kept the clearance in the joint for down the road when we start messing around with different fluke styles, so I took it out for now. We can always add it in later.

Since no one voiced any opinions otherwise, following my wife's advice I have made the executive decision of reaching out to Mantus and have sent them the files so they can perform an analysis of our parts. With this in hand we can understand where any weaknesses are and modify the shape to make it better.

At that I point I am hoping I can learn enough to set up the model in Solidworks myself so we can do any further work without continuing to burden them. I hope you can start to see and understand how design is as much about the transformative process of making different elements work together as it is about inspiration.

Have to say it again, mad props to these people for providing us this assistance. If you think about it, for all my diatribe about manufacturing for the masses instead of mass production, et cetera, it's pretty freaking cool that they are willing make the effort to help a project that is sort of at odds with their business objective of selling anchors.

I think it tells me about where they are coming from as people and what their motives are pretty clearly. In my personal and business lives I try to avoid dealings with who I think are dickheads, but that's just me.

It's Thanksgiving here in the States. I hope you all have a great weekend.

Thank You Mantus!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OSA112713.1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	71123  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OSA112713.1.pdf (5.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 27-11-2013, 09:07   #306

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Love the bottle opener. Makes perfect sense. As you walk down the docks with a nice cold beer you can walk up to any boat with a OSA anchor on the bow and just pop open your beer.

What a great way to make new friends
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OSA anchor bottle opener.jpg
Views:	1842
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	71125  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 09:36   #307

Design is always about compromise. When you consider the load down on the tip of the fluke is pushing back into the shoulder of the shank, trying to shear it off, the bottle opener might not be in a good spot.

Problem is, for the bottle opener to function properly at the dock it kinda needs to be in that spot, so I gave it some more meat in that area by increasing the outside radius to 5" which is hopefully enough. FEA will tell us if my guess is correct.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OSA anchor bottle opener2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	71126  
Old 27-11-2013, 09:47   #308

Community Sponsor

Maybe I will add a bottle opener to the Convave anchor I designed for the Convex anchor lovers on the Anchors, Bigger is Better thread. Will get right on that. Those boys need another beer. Those convex anchors have them all over the harbor.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1401266
Old 27-11-2013, 09:51   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Maybe I will add a bottle opener to the Convave anchor I designed for the Convex anchor lovers on the Anchors, Bigger is Better thread. Will get right on that. Those boys need another beer. Those convex anchors have them all over the harbor.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1401266
I think similar thoughts when I read that stuff. It will be fun when we get to making different flukes styles.

Personally I think convex is a waste of time unless you live on a farm but I think we have to make one just to settle the score once and for all. Same shank design, two different flukes with the same area. One convex and once concave. Side by side. Test that bitches!
Old 27-11-2013, 10:02   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmoments View Post
Maybe the next pdf could have a reference distance for length of shank?

Great work !

I can't wait to start building.
Sorry, forgot that bit. The length overall of the shank is 36-3/4" inches, or about 933mm.

Don't start building just yet, we need to do the FEA and optimize our part first. I may have made the joint too beefy, in which case we can pare it down and put that weight back into more fluke area. Without the math we are only guessing, I'm a good guesser but we need to make sure before we go any further.
Old 27-11-2013, 10:38   #311

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I think similar thoughts when I read that stuff. It will be fun when we get to making different flukes styles.

Personally I think convex is a waste of time unless you live on a farm but I think we have to make one just to settle the score once and for all. Same shank design, two different flukes with the same area. One convex and once concave. Side by side. Test that bitches!
I am with you all the way. Will be lots of fun.
Old 27-11-2013, 13:30   #312

Compliments of Mantus! They said they will do a couple more with different loads. I am hoping they will post them with a little explanation of what this means so you can hear it from someone other than me.

You can see the affect of the bottle opener, it takes away strength but not enough to make a difference. I think we can live with that.

Mantus Rocks! Buy American!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OSA1127.2.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	71136  
Old 27-11-2013, 13:51   #313

Community Sponsor

Mantus anchors has a great engineering team. That is great of them to contribute to this OSA project
Old 27-11-2013, 14:20   #314

"I think it tells me about where they are coming from as people and what their motives are pretty clearly. "

Absolutely.
Do we have a contact address
so we can drop them an appreciative email?
Shas Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 20:18   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas Cho View Post
"I think it tells me about where they are coming from as people and what their motives are pretty clearly. "

Absolutely.
Do we have a contact address
so we can drop them an appreciative email?
Yeah, right? Get what you give, goes around comes around, karma, whatever. call it what you will.

This guy, who is an Emergency Room Physician, with apparently too much energy and not enough time on this planet, who doesn't like being scared in a blow when at anchor, and moreover doesn't want other people to have to feel that way, and who is smart enough and creative enough to know there is always a better way, and who because of this, decides to do something about it and complicate his already complicated life with the addition of a small boat anchor business exactly why? For the money? Well, obviously at least in part, but really?

This same guy who extends his resources to a somewhat antiestablishment power-to-the-people kind of thing like the OSA? Really? For the money?

You can call it what you want but Merriam Webster has a word that works for me.

alˇtruˇism noun \ˈal-trü-ˌi-zəm\
: feelings and behavior that show a desire to help other people and a lack of selfishness

Full Definition of ALTRUISM

: unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others
: behavior by an animal that is not beneficial to or may be harmful to itself but that benefits others of its species

info@mantusanchors.com
That would be very nice of you to thank them on our behalf.

Tags
anchor