Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 13:29   #1651

Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Anyone else notice that the sand in Hoppy's photos looks almost pink? Really interesting color.
That will be an editing issue

As a comparison, I did my normal white balance adjustment to the delta photo from Nolex77

From my days doing studio photography, I am used to setting the white balance from a neutral grey. The galvanised surface of an anchor is good for using as a neutral grey. The problem is that it does loose the UW affect and some of my photos do look like they could have been shot on the surface. I think I need to tone down the affect to get it looking like it is UW

Photo borrowed from http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1884089
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg2_zpsyo5gmtai.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	106793
Old 06-08-2015, 01:00   #1652

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

This was a Claw (Bruce copy).

It has landed upright and at this stage has not been subject to much force. However, it has started digging in and looks like it would bury nicely.

The Claw/Bruce is one of the few anchors that sets well from the upright position like this. Most modern anchors set much better if they fall on their side (pivoting fluke anchors like the Danforth are obvious exceptions). The Bruce will set from either position but the anchor has a hard time raising the heavy shank so if you can get it to land upright when dropped (like this one) it will generally set better.

Note the swivel that has been correctly installed with some links of chain to reduce the side loading.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:53   #1653

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Colour is very hard to get right underwater. The loss of red light with depth is a challenge.

My camera seems to do a great job with its digital red filter. Usually the colour looks very close to how it looks naturally straight from the camera. Normally I don't do any colour manipulation (most photos get a slight contrast boost).

For example this is the unaltered Delta image straight from the camera without any changes or adjustments. Compare this to the image below which I posted in #1646. It is difficult to know if this colour is correct even the human eye is effected by the loss of red. The "beach" at this anchorage was pure white pebbles and some of the sand did not have the normal pink colour so I don't think it is far off.

Direct from the camera:

The posted image. The contrast has been boosted slightly, the brightness has been increased a notch, but there is no colour change. This is typical of the sort of changes I make:

Old 06-08-2015, 02:26   #1654

Next time I go shooting, I will use the strobe and set the temp on the camera to match the 5700 of the strobe to see how it turns out.

I Will also have a look at adding a red filter in post.

I just checked my edits and the colour temp of my edited shots is 15500 LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-08-2015, 04:42   #1655

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another Delta nestled up against some weed:

Old 06-08-2015, 06:15   #1656

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another Delta doing the typical Delta thing.

Not much force has been applied to this one so it does not tell us much.

Notice the original sticker on the shank pronounces "Fast Set".

Hmmmmm .

Old 06-08-2015, 07:59   #1657

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A new anchorage! We have actually been here for a while, but with so many anchors we are photographing them quicker than I can present them.

You can see once again the Mantus has done a great job. It has taken slightly longer to set than the incredibly short distance it usually manages, but this is still a short setting distance. It has ended up with a slight list, but the fluke and most of the shank has disappeared so there is lots of holding ability. There is almost no heaping up of sand, just burying of the fluke. 8m @4:1.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:37   #1658

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Whoops. I found this as was deleting old photos this was at the last anchorage. I promised to show all the anchors rather than just selecting a few. So here it is.

This was another Delta not doing well.

Most of its grip was from just heaping up sand. Despite the modest wind it was gradually creeping backwards. You can see the puffs of sand given off at the toe as it was slowly moving.

Slow drags like this are quite common. Often the skipper has no idea he is slowly but surely moving back a couple of inches at a time.

This location was away from the very soft sand area, but still looked like a good substrate. The scope was only short, 3:1 in 6m. The Delta is not a great performer at short scopes, but it should have done better.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:43   #1659
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Interesting that your chain becomes buried regularly Noelex. Another point of interest is the mantus design of a straight fluke seems to help it bury itself, as opposed to the delta bent fluke type. Often the delta type buries to where the flukes bend, then the added resistance inhibits further burying and promoted lifting and heaping of the substrate and usually ends with a cavity under the fluke for the octopuses to play. In reality it seems the delta type take more effort to bury completely. Not such a bad thing given that the whole point of an anchor is to provide resistance, but it is more common to see delta types with their Mickey Mouse ears exposed.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:18   #1660

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Next is a genuine Bruce.

This was the second drop, but the boat only re anchored due to proximity to another boat rather than any holding power issue.

They did not put any force on the anchor and in the light wind the boat was just held by the grip of the chain on the bottom. You can see the chain just bunched up next to the anchor.

So it is no fault of the anchor that it not set even a tiny bit.
The Bruce did look very elegant and proud sitting on the bottom in all its splendour .

Old 06-08-2015, 16:11   #1661

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Next time I go shooting, I will use the strobe and set the temp on the camera to match the 5700 of the strobe to see how it turns out.

I Will also have a look at adding a red filter in post.

I just checked my edits and the colour temp of my edited shots is 15500 LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
You don't need a red filter if you're using lights.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-08-2015, 20:39   #1662

Photos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
This was the second drop, but the boat only re anchored due to proximity to another boat rather than any holding power issue.

They did not put any force on the anchor and in the light wind the boat was just held by the grip of the chain on the bottom. You can see the chain just bunched up next to the anchor.

So it is no fault of the anchor that it not set even a tiny bit.
The Bruce did look very elegant and proud sitting on the bottom in all its splendour .

Is this making anyone feeling more suspicious of boats around them? LOL!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 23:10   #1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
You don't need a red filter if you're using lights.
I know, juts looking at two different things. The red is for my non strobe shots
Old 07-08-2015, 01:30   #1664

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is a Jambo anchor. A new and rather intriguing design. I saw this one in a marina last year:

I have not seen a lot of examples of this anchor, but the design borrows some elements from the Danforth design. It has two prongs on the outside of the fluke. Prongs are good at penetrating weed, which is one of the major weakness of Danforth design anchors. However, the other major weakness of the Danforth design is remaining set when rotating to a new direction of pull. The prongs at the end of fluke may even make this worse. However, I stress this is theoretical analysis not based on practical observation.

I think theoretical analysis can be accurate when a new model of anchor is similar in design to an existing model, but this extrapolation becomes weaker for a radical new design like the Jambo.

The anchor was dropped in sand, but dragged a long way until it hit a weed bed. The wind direction changed 90° and the anchor was forced into the weed. You can just see the anchor near the top right hand side of the first photo below:

With this sort of weed I rely on feeling with my hands rather than observation to ascertain how much of the fluke has penetrated the substrate below the weed. This is the critical predictor of how the anchor will perform in stronger wind.

In this case the anchor had a high list from its rotation. A reasonable portion of the left hand fluke had managed to penetrate the substrate below the weed. While not a great result, many anchors in this sort of substrate cannot penetrate under the weed at all. However, this anchor was not dropped in the weed. It had a chance to penetrate sideways into the weed which is a big help.

I have tried to photograph the results under the weed to provide some objective evidence, but I end up with a lot of photos like this which don't show anything.

My assessment: It was disappointing the anchor did not set in the sand. The anchor developed a very high list, presumably when rotating 90°. In the end it developed a moderate level of grip, which is not too bad. This sort of weed is a difficult substrate.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:34   #1665

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is slightly out of chronological sequence, but the boat with the Jambo re-anchored twice again in quick succession so I will present these photos together.

This was the second drop in softer sand a lot closer in. I would expect this anchor to do well. It has many of the elements of the Danforth, which is very good in soft sand. The prongs on the outer edges should also help it obtain some initial bite in hard sand, which is a area where the Danforth can fail. The fluke area is not as large and the thick shank will inhibit diving so I would not expect as good performance in very soft sand or soft mud, but the Danforth design is exceptionally good in this sort of substrate, often significantly outperforming many other anchors.

One potential concern is the rotational performance.This may be worse than Danforth, which would make it very poor indeed. However, rather than theoretical predictions it would be better to see the anchor responding to wind direction changes.

This was the result. It has suprisingly taken a long time to set, but in the end has done well with a reasonably bury of most of the fluke.

The setting mark was a little hard to photograph:

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra