Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 05:48   #1666

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

Noelex, interesting to see the Jambo in action as there are a lot of boats here in Croatia with this design. I've not seen one in the ground myself and if I do I will try to get pictures to add to the knowledge base.

From experience seeing boats with this anchor trying to anchor my feelings are not overly confident in them. We were holed up in a large bay escaping 35kt winds but still with 20-25kts blowing through. The Vulcan held steady but 3 boats with Jambo (or similar) anchors had a torrid time. Only 1 actually got a good set on 2nd attempt and didn't move (staying overnight) but the other 2 just couldn't get any set and dragged several times before eventually giving up and sailing off. Now those 2 boats (chartered) could have failed to set due to poor technique rather than anchor performance. The boat that did get set was private but they dragged badly first time.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:55   #1667

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The wind changed 180° although it was only very light. The skipper of the Jambo pulled up the anchor and re dropped in almost exactly the same spot. So this is the third drop of the anchor. I can only think he was not confident of the anchor's ability to rotate, but this is only speculation.

We were having dinner at the local taverna, which is right on the beach so I had very good view. The drop and set was very well done with a reasonable amount of force.

This was the result. A very nice set much the same as last time, but a fraction deeper. The setting mark was hard to photograph, but once again it was surprisingly long.

OK another challenge. What is unusual this time?

Old 07-08-2015, 09:48   #1668

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Sand on top of the shank is not typical I would think.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:10   #1669

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Sand on top of the shank is not typical I would think.
Not what I had in mind, but keep trying .
Old 07-08-2015, 10:35   #1670

Boat: Tartan 40

What's hiding under the fluke at left?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:08   #1671

I'm with Malbert, what is lurking under the fluke just to the left of the ever so shiny shackle?

Keiron
Old 07-08-2015, 14:36   #1672

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
What's hiding under the fluke at left?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
I'm with Malbert, what is lurking under the fluke just to the left of the ever so shiny shackle?
Very observant.

We didn't need to be very observant, as when we arrived he/she was sitting on top of the anchor. Asleep?

My mermaid managed to catch these great photos on the first dive. The octopus did not like the look of me and he/she rapidly retreated under the anchor.

It needed a flash to pick him out under the anchor:

My Mermaid has started a thread on underwater photography and, as this qualifies for both there are some different photos of the same octopus here:

Underwater Photography - Page 8 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 08-08-2015, 06:51   #1673

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In my opinion, a "rock slot" or "shackle rail" (where the shackle can slide forward) should not be used for anchoring overnight.

Hopefully these photos make it clear why.

You can see the shackle has jammed about half way along the shank so the chain is pulling from completely the wrong position. The anchor is not working correctly. It had been dragged about 5m at this stage. The shank, rather than the fluke, is digging in and providing most of the grip. This was enough to hold the boat successfully in 20 knots, but I think it would be unlikely to hold in anything much stronger.

Rock slots are often thought of as causing problems when the wind shifts. This is a concern, but even without this complication there is a risk of problems. Anchors land on the seabed in all sorts of positions and it is not unusual for the chain to initially lead at an incorrect angle (there are lots of my photos that show this). With a conventional hole at the end of the shank the attachment point remains in the correct position. With a "rock slot" you risk the attachment point moving further forward preventing the anchor working properly, as happened here.

7m @ 8:1. The anchor was one of the convex plow designs in stainless steel, but it cannot work correctly when pulled from this angle.

There are a multitude of convex plow designs, does anyone recognise this one? It was beautifully made. Possibly a E-Z Quickset plow, but the slot was not right.

I will repeat my advice that in my opinion a "rock slot" or "shackle rail" (where the shackle can slide forward) should not be used for anchoring overnight, but look at the photos and make up your own mind.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:53   #1674

Got some pics today but does anyone know how to include photos from Flickr into the thread? If you copy the URL into the little pop up box you just get a box with a ? in it. Wanted to try to add larger images but no joy.

Here's the small ones for now:
[IMG][/IMG]
Lunchtime in 5m at 3:1, shackle is twisted but still set well.

[IMG][/IMG]
Same lunchtime anchor but close up of the flukes

[IMG][/IMG]
Honest the is a Vulcan hiding in there!! 4:1 in 10m, missed the sand by inches but she still buried herself deeply through the sea grass. Shackle is straight this time

Keiron
Old 08-08-2015, 09:05   #1675

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Keiron, I have not used Flickr but this should work:

Just copy and paste the link directly into the post. Not using the attachments function.

It should begin "http://". Add [img] before the http.
It should end ".jpg". After jpg add [/img]

If you have trouble send me a PM with the link and I will see what needs to be done to get it to work.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:44   #1676
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

A pretty poor set for the Kobra in 5m at 5:1. I think in this case I was a little over the top with reversing with both engines at 2800RPM for a couple of minutes. I didn't really give the anchor a chance to bite in after dropping it and probably should have let it to settle on its own for a while. The result was it dragged for a about 3m and has really just collected loose surface crust along the way. I'll be diving on it later again to check it. The seabed here in St Georges Grenada is a mix of loose sand and coral.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1439059463.344556.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	106970
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:20   #1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Keiron, I have not used Flickr but this should work:

Just copy and paste the link directly into the post. Not using the attachments function.

It should begin "http://". Add [img] before the http.
It should end ".jpg". After jpg add [/img]

If you have trouble send me a PM with the link and I will see what needs to be done to get it to work.
Noelex, I think I have worked out the problem. Flickr doesn't list the photo with a recognisable extension, just a reference number. That would explain why the link only shows a square with a ? in. I will have to open up a PhotoBook account once I get back to the UK unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Cheers

Keiron
Old 08-08-2015, 12:28   #1678

Here's the big version of this lunchtimes drop

Ah ha! I tell a massive porky pie and Flickr does provide a BBCode for pictures under the Share This side menu. A little long winded a link but the essential is there if you edit it down. Does help if you RTFM sometimes

Closer view of the flukes from lunchtime

And finally the "spot the Vulcan" competition from this evening. Apologies for the poor quality but at 10m down it wasn't easy to get to and the battery died in the camera. Believe me it is well buried and did so very quickly with a straight shackle this time.

Hopefully some more to follow along with a few other examples

Keiron
Old 08-08-2015, 22:12   #1679

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My Mermaid and I went for another dive. The anchor had not moved overnight. The winds were only about 15 knots for most of the night, but they did get up to low 20's for an hour or so and there was quite a bit of swell adding to the force.

Considering the anchor was using its shank as the fluke and its fluke as the shank it was hanging in well .

The underwater visibility was terrible. The wind and swell had also stirred up some broken bits of weed, but we tried to take some photos under the shank.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:43   #1680

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This was a Brittany anchor.

They have a lot of similar properties to a Danforth style anchor. They have very good holding in soft substrates, but struggle in hard substrates and weed. Also like the Danforth, they don't rotate to new wind directions very well although the Brittany is still a bit better the Danforth in this regard.

These properties make it a good stern anchor and it does not have a large stock which makes storage easier.

It is cheap anchor, but there are better primary designs.

This one could do with some more force, but has started to set well.

Another anchor with a hole drilled in the shank :

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra