Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 19-09-2015, 14:26   #1921

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
We have two detailed posts on this topic that may be helpful

Anchoring Statistics - Golden Glow

Extreme Mooring - the Paxos Challenge - Golden Glow

The yacht pictured on the rocks in your first link is not in Marigot Bay but high and dry on the rocks in a big tidal range of Northern Brittany, France. It is a sadler 35 ftom Jersey, Channels islands that took a slight short cut on a club race and went the wrong side of a mark on a dropping tide. The Owners we had met earlier, in audierne Southern Brittany, France Biscay coast after we had needed a tow when we had engine failure, in a flat calm, in Le Raz De sein and the current which can reach 9 kts there had turned and was taking us towards the rocks. We were towed out of the danger area by a passing huge deep sea fishing boat who, unknown to us, then arranged with the local CG to hand over our tow to the lifeboat from Audierne 8 miles away who took us there to hve our motor fixed The owners of the Yacht dried on the rocks in the picture later tied alongside us in Audierne and were a little patronizing over our tow in by the Lifeboat saying they 'had just raced over 200 miles without an engine, why not sail' Well we had sailed for several hours then ran out of wind totally just at the crucial point in the tidal Rice called Le Raz de sein we tried for two hours to sail out of danger but no wind and a big swell = no progress whatsoever against a foul tide. NO we could not anchor, pure rock bottom and exceptionally deep where we were. I remember the picture of the Sadler on the rocks was in several UK magazines and especially saw the irony after their crew's comments to us about needing a lifeboat tow in Audierne just a week or two earlier.

BUT as a simple illustration of a boat on rocks, for a blog, it works, but it was not Marigot Bay nor did it drag it's anchor to get there ( around 4,000 miles east across the Pond)

Sorry!
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 20:56   #1922

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

We've moved down to the Isle de Pins in the Southern Lagoon here in New Caledonia... a truly beautiful anchorage in Baie Kuto. The water isn't as clear as out nearer the reef, but I managed a couple of anchor shots today. The bottom here is harder sand with some light weed, and it appears to get even harder down a few inches. The 60 lb Manson Supreme, on ~4:1 in 25 ft, has penetrated after a ~ 3 foot drag path, but even with 2200 rpm for around thirty seconds, has not fully buried. I was feeling grumpy about this until I swam over to our nearest neighbor, a ~36 foot racer/cruiser from Noumea, and had a look at his CQR, which was simply lying upon its side with zero penetration. If t he wind goes westerly, I'll have to move pretty quickly to avoid being dragged down on!

Sorry about the picture quality once more. 25 feet is about my limit these days, and the murky water didn't help!

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0193 (3).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	109427   Click image for larger version

Name:	kuto anch 2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	109428  

Name:	kuto cqr.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	109429  
Old 19-09-2015, 21:38   #1923

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Video of Anchor Setting

Here is a picture of the video camera lash-up.

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 00:58   #1924

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Thanks for all the contributions. It is great to see all the anchor photos.

Panope, your video was fantastic.

The fender/float idea is great one. I wonder if you could have a trip line on a small float on the surface. That way after anchoring you pull the trip line, releasing the camera and leaving the anchor in place.
Old 20-09-2015, 03:35   #1925

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Fantastic setup Panope, and a great Video. With this, and a quick release to a trip line I could see what's happening in the murky cold water below.

This is one possible tripping system
https://www.whitworths.com.au/products/79500_lg.jpg

Maybe a slip knot would work as well, and save a few dollars.

Interesting how even with full astern power you couldn't fully bury the anchor. That's a worry I have with my 60lb Manson and my 30 hp engine with a folding prop. Not much astern thrust there.
Old 20-09-2015, 03:43   #1926

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
The yacht pictured on the rocks in your first link is not in Marigot Bay but high and dry on the rocks in a big tidal range of Northern Brittany, France. It is a sadler 35 ftom Jersey, Channels islands that took a slight short cut on a club race and went the wrong side of a mark on a dropping tide. The Owners we had met earlier, in audierne Southern Brittany, France Biscay coast after we had needed a tow when we had engine failure, in a flat calm, in Le Raz De sein and the current which can reach 9 kts there had turned and was taking us towards the rocks. We were towed out of the danger area by a passing huge deep sea fishing boat who, unknown to us, then arranged with the local CG to hand over our tow to the lifeboat from Audierne 8 miles away who took us there to hve our motor fixed The owners of the Yacht dried on the rocks in the picture later tied alongside us in Audierne and were a little patronizing over our tow in by the Lifeboat saying they 'had just raced over 200 miles without an engine, why not sail' Well we had sailed for several hours then ran out of wind totally just at the crucial point in the tidal Rice called Le Raz de sein we tried for two hours to sail out of danger but no wind and a big swell = no progress whatsoever against a foul tide. NO we could not anchor, pure rock bottom and exceptionally deep where we were. I remember the picture of the Sadler on the rocks was in several UK magazines and especially saw the irony after their crew's comments to us about needing a lifeboat tow in Audierne just a week or two earlier.

BUT as a simple illustration of a boat on rocks, for a blog, it works, but it was not Marigot Bay nor did it drag it's anchor to get there ( around 4,000 miles east across the Pond)

Sorry!
Sorry for the confusion. We weren't trying to say that the boat pictured on the rock was the one that dragged anchor in Marigot Bay in St Martin. I'll look to see if I can find a photo of the boat that dragged anchor in Marigot once it was salvaged and post it if I find it.

But thanks for reading the post so carefully and sharing the details about the boat up on the rocks. We were just using a dramatic photo to illustrate the point, not intending for that photo to illustrate the sad tale we were relating about the boat near Sandy Ground in Marigot.

Fair winds to you,
Ellen & Rand
svGoldenGlow.com
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 04:47   #1927

Thanks Noelex, Snowpetrel. A tripline is a good idea although with my abrupt, momentum based setting technique, I usually feel very confident with the set. Still, one never knows what obstacles may be nearby. If one was planning an extended stay at one location it might be worthwhile to rig the camera and tripline.

I would not be worried about not being able to fully set the anchor with the engine. Just give the anchor a really good yank using boat momentum. If your particular substrate requires finesse to begin the setting process, then wait with the momentum/yank thing until after.

3000 RPM with Panope's (3600 redline) engine equates to about 60% or 24 horsepower. I use an 18 inch diameter, 3 blade, fixed propeller.

Steve
Old 20-09-2015, 04:58   #1928

Noelex, I seem to have forgotten how to "embed" a video in a post. Could please explain that process and perhaps modify post #1923.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 20-09-2015, 05:54   #1929

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Isn't in you bed time?

One last thing, remember the question I had about anchor shackles? I bought the Wichard, and Crosby 1/2 and 5/8. I will probably use the Crosby 1/2 as the 5/8 in a big mo, can't see it fitting my chain. The Wichard is nice but after looking at the two side by side, bigger is better.
You might consider an oval pin shackle. The oval cross section of the pin is oriented to increase the bending & shear strength of the shackle. The photo is of our 1/2" Washington Chain forerunner. We tossed the left end Crosby - too small. The right end is the oval section connection to the anchor (Rocna 55)

No photos yet. We have been sailing the West Michigan coast of Lake Michigan. Its a giant bowl of sand here. We have found a few nasty places in the North Channel paved like an old cobble stone street. No joy there & it was a designated anchorage. Anyone need an old CQR - bouncing betty?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FORERUNNER 2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	109447   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5367.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	109448  

Name:	DSCF6834.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	109449  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 06:14   #1930
cruiser

I just tried out my new Olympus tg4 underwater camera. Disappointed so far with the results compared to the Gopro. How are you editing your pictures? These were taken in the underwater mode. With the Gopro and a red filter, the greens and blues aren't such an issue.

Our Ultra appears stuck under some rocks, and will probably need to be extracted via the cable and floating trip line sometime tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	109451  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 06:29   #1931

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Just been joined by a boat with a CQR. I actually don't see many of these now in the anchorages in the Med.(lots in marinas). They don't work well in the hard sand that is present in a lot of the anchorages around here. Most boats that spend the majority of time anchoring have abandoned them for something better.
Back when we used the 74# CQR that came with the boat, we learned to drop it until it just touched, gently reverse and lay the chain & shank down carefully so that the flukes started together & level. It helped but what a pain. If it starts on its side there will be no setting.
Old 20-09-2015, 06:31   #1932

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This is a bit of an oddball, an Admiralty stockless anchor that has actually set !!

I do see a few of these anchors usually on the Gullets and they are invariably terrible. The tips are usually too blunt to penetrate the hard sand.
This one set reasonably well, but remember there is only a very small fluke area below the substrate so the holding power is still limited.

They dropped in only 3 m, which I think was the main reason reason for success. They have managed to find some softer sand close to the beach. The anchor is larger than it looks in the photographs (perhaps 130lb at a guess).

Anyway, I can only take the photos, even if they are atypical results, and leave you to judge for yourself.

Gotta love that SS jewelry attached to that hunk'o junk
Old 20-09-2015, 07:08   #1933

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
Sorry for the confusion. We weren't trying to say that the boat pictured on the rock was the one that dragged anchor in Marigot Bay in St Martin. I'll look to see if I can find a photo of the boat that dragged anchor in Marigot once it was salvaged and post it if I find it.

But thanks for reading the post so carefully and sharing the details about the boat up on the rocks. We were just using a dramatic photo to illustrate the point, not intending for that photo to illustrate the sad tale we were relating about the boat near Sandy Ground in Marigot.

Fair winds to you,
Ellen & Rand
svGoldenGlow.com
I guessed as much, I hope you can see why it is so prominent in my memory bank however. It was a patronizing sneer from a race crew about a sailboat needing an engine when they , race crew had passed the same point,several days before, under sail alone, as I might add, had we many many times in all conditions day and night but on that day when the wind vanished totally and the engine had dumped all it's fresh water coolant into the bilges thing swere different, we topped it up but that water too immediately vanished. We had tried to sail for over an hour but with no wind at all and a big Atlantic swell rolling the boat we were overtaken by a patch of weed, still no problem until the tide reversed direction and was increasing in strength and carrying us back towards the rocks. The engine problem we found once towed in was simple, a drain tap we did not know we had ( hidden at the rear under the exhaust manifold) had vanished, presumably blown out under pressure but we never ever found it. It was obvious enough when we had two on the job , me re- filling with water, the other ( French mechanic) looking for the leak. fortunately the French mechanic had another drain tap in his tool box, job done in minutes and we were back in business. Ironically when we left again to continue our passage, we were able to sail the entire trip about 50 miles remaining as a very light sea breeze had finally arrived. We had a very good sailing boat, a Doug Peterson designed Sun Legende 41 the first of it's class having been a one ton cup boat and a member of the French Admiral's cup Team. But we learned a lot, not least that we had TWO coolant drain taps on that Yanmar 4 JHE, and that French lifeboat tows, even when not asked for directly by us, are expensive ( it cost almost $1,000), but thank you again anyway, Lifeboat guys, I hope you all got to enjoy the single malt Scotch too that we donated to the crew lunch box.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 08:15   #1934

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Thanks for all the contributions. It is great to see all the anchor photos.

Panope, your video was fantastic.

The fender/float idea is great one. I wonder if you could have a trip line on a small float on the surface. That way after anchoring you pull the trip line, releasing the camera and leaving the anchor in place.

I wonder about a continuous line loop through roll bar with both ends tied to float on surface. Once anchor is set, can haul down buoyed gopro to anchor while filming, release to surface and retrieve line loop if desired. Check film back on boat to ensure set...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 08:20   #1935

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Video of Anchor Setting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=tDJwRd-D7vA

Here is a picture of the video camera lash-up.

Steve,

That's a great setup and a clever way to get photos in cold water. I'm wondering, does the wifi propagate through water? If so you could watch your anchor setting (or not) on your cell phone.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra