Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 20-09-2015, 08:34   #1936

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Steve,

That's a great setup and a clever way to get photos in cold water. I'm wondering, does the wifi propagate through water? If so you could watch your anchor setting (or not) on your cell phone.

Thanks Mike, I do use the "GoPro app" to verify that the camera is oriented correctly before dropping anchor. Unfortunately, the WiFi signal does not transmit through more than about 3 inches of water.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 08:44   #1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I wonder about a continuous line loop through roll bar with both ends tied to float on surface. Once anchor is set, can haul down buoyed gopro to anchor while filming, release to surface and retrieve line loop if desired. Check film back on boat to ensure set...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Malbert: Your idea of hauling the camera down after the anchor has been set is good because it eliminates a very real chance of damaging or losing the camera: With my system of sending the camera down during the set, the possibility exists that the camera could get fouled on sunken debris or rock.

However your "after the fact" method would not get any of those great action scenes during the setting of the anchor.

Steve
Old 20-09-2015, 13:46   #1938

Here is another anchor setting Video. This time I used the quite short scope of 2.8 to 1. The anchor sets very well initially, but when subjected to my simulated wind/current reversal "torture test", the anchor un-sets and drags.

Steve

https://youtu.be/mr37r1j7u0g

Old 20-09-2015, 14:38   #1939

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

great video
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 15:16   #1940

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

What a great thread.

Panope, do you you think the buoyancy of your float camera had any effect on the anchor resetting on the short scope breakout?
Old 20-09-2015, 15:32   #1941

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
What a great thread.

Panope, do you you think the buoyancy of your float camera had any effect on the anchor resetting on the short scope breakout?
I do not think the float is large enough to make a noticeable difference. Here is another shot of the camera and float.

Steve

Old 20-09-2015, 15:46   #1942

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Noelex, I seem to have forgotten how to "embed" a video in a post. Could please explain that process and perhaps modify post #1923.

Sorted. It had me stumped for a while, as for some reason the embedding was not seen in the preview after editing the post. Only when the post was submitted.

In the end I think the only problem was a missing square bracket "]" after url at the beginning.

I have fixed the embedding for the second video you posted as well. Keep these fantastic videos coming Steve.

Is it wrong to tie a Mermaid to the roll bar?
Old 20-09-2015, 15:57   #1943

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
I do not think the float is large enough to make a noticeable difference. Here is another shot of the camera and float.

Steve

Oh, I totally misjudged the size. Thanks.
Old 20-09-2015, 16:40   #1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
.........Keep these fantastic videos coming Steve.

Unfortunately, a third video that I made was shot with the camera not aiming properly. It only shows part of the anchor.

Next time out I will try and get some footage of my Forfjord (big stockless type) in action. I have only used it a couple times and it behaves completely differently than the Manson. Should make for some interesting footage as it takes a bit of distance (dragging) before it sets.

I noticed that it takes me about 8 or 9 minutes to complete an anchor set video. Your mermaid might be a bit short on lung capacity. Then again, with your powered windlass you might shave a few minutes off that time............

Steve
Old 20-09-2015, 17:35   #1945

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Malbert: Your idea of hauling the camera down after the anchor has been set is good because it eliminates a very real chance of damaging or losing the camera: With my system of sending the camera down during the set, the possibility exists that the camera could get fouled on sunken debris or rock.

However your "after the fact" method would not get any of those great action scenes during the setting of the anchor.

Steve

Good point. Here in chesapeake I wonder if I'll see anything. I certainly wouldn't see anything while the anchor is setting, I can be sure of that given the muck. I was thinking for chesapeake to set the anchor, wait 5 min for "dust" to settle, then film to confirm the set.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 18:07   #1946
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

That sure is some hot anchoring action. Maybe next, you can paint it white and try a set in a deep, hard black sand bottom?
Old 20-09-2015, 19:11   #1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

Your Mermaid may have some problems with that. In fact, I'm betting you are in big trouble!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 19:20   #1948

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Steve, what sort of slope did the bottom have during the second short scope video? It just seems weird that the anchor set fine on short scope first, then failed during the 180 deg direction shift. If the bottom sloped away slightly, then the effective scope angle would be quite different for each direction?

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-09-2015, 20:13   #1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Steve, what sort of slope did the bottom have during the second short scope video? It just seems weird that the anchor set fine on short scope first, then failed during the 180 deg direction shift. If the bottom sloped away slightly, then the effective scope angle would be quite different for each direction?

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ben, the bottom is quite flat in that area. It might slope a foot or two for every 100 feet of horizontal distance. Also, the setting direction (and the reciprocal) were about 45 degrees to the slope so the "effective" scope difference between the two directions would be pretty small. That said, the pull that resulted in the anchor un-setting was in the downhill direction.

Perhaps the next time out I will try a couple sets at the even more difficult scope of 2.5 to 1 and see what happens. I think there is as much to be learned by studying a failure as there is a from a success.

Steve
Old 20-09-2015, 23:48   #1950

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Ben, the bottom is quite flat in that area. It might slope a foot or two for every 100 feet of horizontal distance. Also, the setting direction (and the reciprocal) were about 45 degrees to the slope so the "effective" scope difference between the two directions would be pretty small. That said, the pull that resulted in the anchor un-setting was in the downhill direction.

Perhaps the next time out I will try a couple sets at the even more difficult scope of 2.5 to 1 and see what happens. I think there is as much to be learned by studying a failure as there is a from a success.

Steve
Even minor slopes such as 2 feet per 100 are not to be underestimated.

Setting @ 2.8 :1 uphill in a seabed sloping 1:50 the effective slope becomes 2.96 :1

Setting @ 2.8 :1 downhill, the effective slope becomes 2.66 :1

Particularly at short scopes where the anchor is struggling, this can make quite a difference.

One thing that continually surprises me when diving down to seabed level is how much local variation there is in small patches. You would think a sandy bottom would just fill in with wave action and even out. Not so. The effective scope may well be locally helped or hindered even in a seemingly even terrain.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra