Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 21-09-2015, 04:18   #1951

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I just tried out my new Olympus tg4 underwater camera. Disappointed so far with the results compared to the Gopro. How are you editing your pictures? These were taken in the underwater mode. With the Gopro and a red filter, the greens and blues aren't such an issue.

Ken, I agree the colours in your photo look very wrong.

I do very little post processing. There is normally no need to alter the colour at all, as the camera on its own does a great job. I use a simple program called Snapseed.

Is there any chance that the flash fired? It is reasonably dark underwater so the camera does want to fire the flash if left to its own devices. This needs to be specifically selected as flash off.

The underwater colour balance setting on the camera (which I nearly always use) compensates for the loss of red light that is absorbed by the water. If the flash fires this light becomes the dominant source. As the light travels only a short distance there is no red absorption so the underwater white balance setting is no longer appropriate. A normal or flash white balance is better.

Anyway, something to check. I always disable the flash (unless say photographing an octopus under the anchor).

These are my normal settings. The -0.3 is an exposure compensation that seems to work best generally, but in weed this needs to be increased to -0.6 or so.

The settings are:

Flash: off
Timer: off
Exposure: -0.3
White balance: Underwater
ISO: Auto
Shutter button: Multiple shots
Quality: 12 Mb
Aspect: 4:3

I save these settings on one of the custom options so they are easy to select.

Nearly all the photos are taken on full wide angle.

Edit: My other thought is are you using RAW?. My TG2 will only shot in JPEG, but I think your newer model does RAW. In RAW the white balance settings (which is what the digital red filter is) may not be applied. RAW should be a good option, but you may need to apply the underwater white balance manually.

Here is a photo showing the symbols for the settings. Normally the camera is in the underwater housing, but the settings are easier to see in its naked state.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	109520  
Old 21-09-2015, 06:37   #1952

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This was a new anchorage in medium weed. 13m @ 3:1.

The Mantus has set very rapidly and is nice and level. The anchor held our full setting force. These weed roots are incredibly tough, but the tip looks to have dug into the underlying substrate well, although not much of fluke is buried at this stage. I also did not inspect this anchor as closely as normal as it was deep and we did not stay long.

Old 21-09-2015, 06:45   #1953

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Even minor slopes such as 2 feet per 100 are not to be underestimated.

Setting @ 2.8 :1 uphill in a seabed sloping 1:50 the effective slope becomes 2.96 :1

Setting @ 2.8 :1 downhill, the effective slope becomes 2.66 :1

Particularly at short scopes where the anchor is struggling, this can make quite a difference.

One thing that continually surprises me when diving down to seabed level is how much local variation there is in small patches. You would think a sandy bottom would just fill in with wave action and even out. Not so. The effective scope may well be locally helped or hindered even in a seemingly even terrain.

SWL
Seaworthy, thanks for doing the math. Perhaps that slope was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'll conduct future tests parallel to the slope if possible.

Local variation of this bottom seemed minimal as my depthsounder readings where very consistent when driving the boat back and forth. But I am not creeping around on the bottom like you are. Who knows what sort of little divots may be present.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 07:12   #1954
cruiser

I'm going to shoot using the new settings on the Olympus TG4. Will post soon. Thanks

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 10:58   #1955

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This was a steel Spade in 8m @ 4:1

The boat was anchored reasonably close, but was in shallower water. I did not see the drop.

From the marks in the weed, the anchor moved a moderate distance and has still not really engaged the substrate. There is a high list:

Old 21-09-2015, 14:29   #1956

Hi.

It took me whole three days to read this thread and I admit I feel overwhelmed with all the good information and pictures you all kindly published.

I don't own a sailboat yet but I have a small 15' power boat with a ridiculous 10 lb folding anchor. I can assure you that, in 10 years, as far as I can remember, the anchor only grabbed and set once!

Luckily, I only use the boat in shelted waters and really near beaches under constant watch so whenever the boat starts to drag, I'm around to correct it.

After reading this thread, I'm secretly hoping that my anchor disappears somewhere so that I can buy a new gen type and have some peace of mind.

Great thread. Congrats.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.
tchavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 14:32   #1957
cruiser

Ultra 45kg relocated to sand. Color issues with camera worked out. Thanks

Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	166
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	109556  
Old 21-09-2015, 19:08   #1958

Here is an Anchor setting Video depicting the deployment, setting, re-setting and retrieval of a 45 pound Manson supreme anchor. Unlike the previous videos that I posted, this time the anchor chain was connected to the "rock slot". My hope was that during my simulated 180 degree wind shift torture test, the chain would slide in the slot and un-set the anchor.

Alas, the chain stayed at the normal end of the slot and the anchor pivoted as usual.

Steve

https://youtu.be/lVm0NiQ7EB8
Old 21-09-2015, 20:15   #1959

Another Video, this time depicting the complete failure to set of a 25 pound Danforth Anchor (copy).

This anchor as been living in my shed for the past 25 years. This is the first (and only) time I have ever tried to use it.

Steve

https://youtu.be/IJJtdlCbUIA

Old 21-09-2015, 22:30   #1960

This time I pulled my trusty 33 pound Bruce (genuine) out from under the V-berth. My father bought this anchor after he lost his CQR in one of those 60 knot, hot and dry winds that frequently blow off of the West coast of Mexico.

We successfully used this anchor for 10 years and felt it was a very fine anchor - vastly superior to the CQR. That said, we never encountered serious wind while using it.

I always had the feeling that the Bruce would be a bit small for really angry conditions. Hence my decision to get the larger Manson Supreme to use as my #1 bower.

Steve

https://youtu.be/VEOMxWidKe0

Old 22-09-2015, 00:00   #1961

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchavei View Post
Hi.

It took me whole three days to read this thread and I admit I feel overwhelmed with all the good information and pictures you all kindly published.

I don't own a sailboat yet but I have a small 15' power boat with a ridiculous 10 lb folding anchor. I can assure you that, in 10 years, as far as I can remember, the anchor only grabbed and set once!

Luckily, I only use the boat in shelted waters and really near beaches under constant watch so whenever the boat starts to drag, I'm around to correct it.

After reading this thread, I'm secretly hoping that my anchor disappears somewhere so that I can buy a new gen type and have some peace of mind.

Great thread. Congrats.

Regards
Tony

Welcome Tony and glad you have found this thread useful and informative.

Do you need the folding anchor to "disappear" to justify buying a new one? Know it sounds crazy but perhaps if you get a chance you could share some photos of how badly it works to add it to the communal knowledge.

I, for example, had toyed with using one of these to as an aid to stern-to anchoring as a way to hold the stern in position whilst swimming/rowing to shore with the stern line but if you say it never grabs then perhaps not such an valid proposition after all.

Cheers

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 00:41   #1962

Last Video (I was busy today).

This time I deployed my 65 pound Forfjord anchor. This anchor lives in a custom hawsepipe nestled into Panope's port bow. I consider it a secondary anchor to the Manson Supreme. I believe that the Forfjord may have an advantage over the Manson when used in rock.

The Forfjord was developed in the 1950's and has been gracing the bows of most of the Southeast Alaska commercial fishing fleet ever since. It is a pivoting fluke "stockless" type anchor. It has relatively small fluke surface area for it weight - thus the recommendation for heavier weight than the more modern types.

There is not a whole lot of data available on this anchor's performance. I do not recall any testing being done by a third party or the manufacturer. I personally have only used the anchor a couple times and never in any sort of wind.

Some people have theorized that the very wide shank (it is made from 2" X 2" bar stock) will prevent the anchor from burying. One thing is for sure - I am never gonna bend that shank! See for yourself about the burying.

Steve

[url]
Old 22-09-2015, 00:43   #1963

Picture of the Forfjord in its hawsepipe and the Bruce on the bow roller. I built the roller to fit this anchor as I did not yet own the Manson. Lucky that the Manson fit.

Old 22-09-2015, 07:09   #1964
cruiser

A forty foot skid mark leading up to the final big dig. A difficult anchorage because looks can be deceiving. Powered back slowly up to full throttle at 12:1 scope. 45kg Ultra.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	154
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	109589  
Old 22-09-2015, 07:46   #1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
Welcome Tony and glad you have found this thread useful and informative.

Do you need the folding anchor to "disappear" to justify buying a new one? Know it sounds crazy but perhaps if you get a chance you could share some photos of how badly it works to add it to the communal knowledge.

I, for example, had toyed with using one of these to as an aid to stern-to anchoring as a way to hold the stern in position whilst swimming/rowing to shore with the stern line but if you say it never grabs then perhaps not such an valid proposition after all.

Cheers

Keiron
Well, it would be convenient if it disappeared. The boat runs in the family so not only mine and everybody just wants to get to Island A or B and Tony will make it happen. Kinda hard convincing someone we need another anchor if we have one. Dragging isn't a problem for them because Tony will reanchor 3 times in 3 hours if needed... You get the picture, don't you?

I live in the Algarve (Portugal). Very fine sand here on most spots so your anchor better dig in... That's something mine never really did. I can grab the rope/chain and pull it out without ever needing to pull the boat closer to the anchor point. A quick jerk on the line and it's free. It does hold the boat but any stronger current or wind and I know it will drag.

Regards
Tony

tchavei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra