Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 04:28   #2086

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

Photo shows us anchored in the S Manitou harbor (Lake Michigan). Prevailing wind W-SW. We arrived too late to anchor on the narrow sand at the west side-back of the bay. We only could reach the N end where the sand runs out near the 37 foot depth. The slope is steep and rocky with near vertical shelves & cliffs . At the time we used a 74#CQR. After several attempts where the CQR bounced off the shelf we set a 36 # Danforth on the beach in sand just beyond the first shallow wave ridge. We then found the edge of the shelf and dropped the CQR and used a winch to pull the stern toward the beach. It would be impossible to drag the CQR up the rocky slope so this made for a solid set.

We now use a Rocna 55 but I doubt the method would have been any different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S Manitou Harbor chart.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	112399   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8052.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	112400  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:43   #2087
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Noelex, did you get your G7 chain in Greece or Turkey? Any idea how much is cost for 100 meters? Also, was it difficult to find a new gypsy that matched the chain?
If your Mermaid is bored I'd love to follow some more posts and photo's on Wintering in the Med.
Old 07-11-2015, 13:08   #2088

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Santa Ponsa, Mallorca, sandy bottom with weedy patches, 5m & 20 m out with our 22 kg Rocna. The anchor set hard after application of px. I wonder what would have happened with a wind change?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0859_edited-1.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	112436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0863_edited-1.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	112437  

Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 13:21   #2089

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Noelex, did you get your G7 chain in Greece or Turkey? Any idea how much is cost for 100 meters? Also, was it difficult to find a new gypsy that matched the chain?
If your Mermaid is bored I'd love to follow some more posts and photo's on Wintering in the Med.
If you can't find a supplier in Greece or Turkey I know Jimmy Green in UK sell G70 8mm (that who we got ours from) and they can always get it delivered to Greece but it will obviously cost.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 22:48   #2090

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Our G7 chain was purchased directly from the Magi factory in Italy. They delivered to the boatyard in Greece. They made up the chain in the right length (100m) with larger end links on both ends.

The delivery was way longer than they predicted, so allow plenty of time.

The company has a great reputation and makes very high quality chain. They will even proof test it for you (for an extra fee). The only caveat is the galvanising has been disappointing. The chain will need replacing at our next haul out, giving a life of 3.5 years. This is not quite as bad as it sounds. I anchor almost 365 days year so this represents over 1000 nights at anchor. A lot of this has been in hard sand. Nevertheless, we don't often use more than 50m so the 100m has allowed us to end for end the chain and given this, the life has not been great.

My suspicion, looking at anchors, is that the quality of the galvanising seems worse on those anchors made in "developed" countries (like New Zealand, Australia etc). Anchors made in China, Tunisia etc seem to use better, more durable galvanising, at least until you get to the very cheap copies. This is of course a generalisation and will depend on how the individual anchor manufacturer has chosen to galvanise their product, but my theory is that the recent health and safety laws are stricter in developed countries which limits the potential quality of galvanising.

If this is true (and it is only a theory), it will also apply to chain. So countries like Italy are likely to produce chain with good quality control (which is important given the multitude of welds that go into making up chain), but perhaps worse galvanising. Anyway this fits in with my experience, but I stress this is just a sample size of one.

In terms of cost the Magi G7 chain was expensive, but not horrifically so, especially considering the strength is as good as one size bigger (so you really need to compare 10mm G7 with 12mm G3-G4). Sorry, It is too depressing to keep an accurate list of boat expenses , so I don't have an exact price. Delivery is a big component and this will vary significantly with your exact location anyway. It is cheaper to deliver heavy items to some Greek islands than to others depending on ferry access etc. If you contact them they will give you an exact quote.

Changing the gypsy (if you are going for thinner chain) should be no problem, but like most boat parts it is more expensive than you might imagine. Most windlasses have a reasonable range of chain sizes. Be aware that there two sizes of metric (sometimes called DIN and ISO) 10mm chain, although at least metric chain does not have the problem of imperial chain where the size changes when going for different strengths. Make sure you get the right gypsy.

There is a good website here with a method of testing the chain's galvanising and weld quality that can be done with simple tools:

https://coxengineering.sharepoint.co...finitions.aspx
Old 08-11-2015, 04:01   #2091

Boat: Catana 50

Sorry if its in here and I just didn't find it. Going through 140 pgs is some work!!

Does anyone have experience with a Wasi SS (roll bar/rocna type) anchor?
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:18   #2092
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

In terms of cost the Magi G7 chain was expensive, but not horrifically so, especially considering the strength is as good as one size bigger (so you really need to compare 10mm G7 with 12mm G3-G4). Sorry, It is too depressing to keep an accurate list of boat expenses , so I don't have an exact price. Delivery is a big component and this will vary significantly with your exact location anyway. It is cheaper to deliver heavy items to some Greek islands than to others depending on ferry access etc. If you contact them they will give you an exact quote.

[/url]

We bought 100m of 12mm Maggi DIN 766 G30 chain through a chandler in Poros, Greece. It was delivered to his shop and we went alongside the quay in front to take delivery (holding the traffic up whilst it was walked across the road!). We paid €1200 including delivery to Poros.

We agree with noelex, that the galvanising isn't as good as on our old Bradney chain. We also anchor almost 365 and have enough chain to end to end as it wears.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:46   #2093

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesnTequila View Post
Sorry if its in here and I just didn't find it.

There is a lot to get through .

The Bugel was really the father of the other roll bar anchors.

It is a very good anchor despite not have some of the refinements of the other roll bar anchors:
  • Skids or wings to raise the tip to a more aggressive setting position
  • Tip weight
  • Concave blade
  • Larger blade area

Despite this, it still performs very well.

I hope this helps, but it is better to make up your own mind. If you go to the "search this thread" and type in "Bugel" you should come up with lots of hits. Because of the nature of the thread most of the posts will be photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	112538  
Old 08-11-2015, 08:09   #2094

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This was a Delta. It was dropped in weed and did not set until it reached this clearer patch. 7m@5:1.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:18   #2095

Quote:
There is a lot to get through .
Thanks!!! Off I go....

BTW - it has been working great, but we haven't really tested it!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:12   #2096

Quote:
Our G7 chain was purchased directly from the Magi factory in Italy.
Hi Noelex
Do you have an email or contact at the Maggi factory? They have a too fancy website and I can't seem to get to their contacts section.

Thx
Old 09-11-2015, 12:30   #2097

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Our initial contact was via: info@maggigroup.com

Then we corresponded with:
Dott. Ing. Corrado Maggi
corrado.maggi@maggigroup.com

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 13:41   #2098

As an FYI, if you go to maggigroup.com you can price and buy the chain on line. It is 1215 euro for 100 meters of 10mm G7. This is just slightly more than standard G30. Really nice website. The difference in weight for 100 meters of G7 10mm to G4 13mm, which I have is 1600kg. That's a huge difference for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	112646  
Old 09-11-2015, 14:02   #2099

After posting that, I'm not sure how they get that weight difference because the Rocna website indicates there should only be about 130kg difference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	112647  
Old 09-11-2015, 14:53   #2100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
We agree with noelex, that the galvanising isn't as good as on our old Bradney chain. We also anchor almost 365 and have enough chain to end to end as it wears.

Was that Bradney chain in the UK (Dudley, West Midlands).
I bought some good chain from them about 3 years ago. Went to buy another 60m last year, and appears they have been taken over by William Hackett Chains Ltd.
I bought G4 chain from William Hackett, and the quality appears as good as the Bradney chain.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra