Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 13:36   #2446

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I knew a Swedish engineer who at one point was involved in modifying the design of a bruce like anchor. His task was to also make it glide. Very handy in Sweden where the like to tie bow first to islands and use a stern anchor with a rope or tape rode
What was the result?
Old 08-08-2016, 13:44   #2447

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Re: Post #2442:

Nice pix, hoppy. Thanks for the explanation about the swivel.

Ann
Old 08-08-2016, 14:04   #2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohapence View Post
What was the result?
I don't know how successful they were. At the time I knew him I didn't have a yacht and was not interested in anchors
Old 08-08-2016, 14:08   #2449

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
That explains the silver bar in the pic. And it's a nice self-righting tool.

But I'd still be nervous about side loading...
I have little choice. The bow roller setup on my bowsprit is a bit narrow, so the shackle I bought with suitable strength for my G70 chain would not fit. I had another high strength swivel last year but bought the Ultra over winter as it's stronger
Old 10-08-2016, 00:44   #2450

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I love watching anchors set. It is a great way to assess anchor performance.

In the lovely clear waters around here, this is quite easy. Unfortunately, it is a bit more difficult to photograph, as I need to be reasonably close. Diving around a boat with spinning props and bow thrusters when the skipper might not be able to see you or even know that your there needs to be done with some caution.

However, I thought you might want to see how an anchor behaves on smooth rock. This Delta was dropped by a private boat. They managed to drag the anchor a considerable distance (about 75m), before it finally found a crevice. They stayed the night despite our warning. The anchor started in about 5m of water with a scope of a bit over 3:1, but where the anchor came to rest was deeper and the scope had dropped to less than 3:1.

You can see what is happening in the photos, but a few things I would like to point out:
  • The drag speed in this smooth rock was very rapid, at about one knot. At this stage many boats do not have a snubber in place and with all chain there is very little elasticity. If the anchor catches some solid rock, the stop is going to be very abrupt. Something is likely to break. Personally I always put the snubber on before I back down on the anchor, but I am in the minority.
  • Notice how in a couple of the photos the toe is nowhere near the bottom. The anchor has no hope of setting even in a good substrate when this happens. The hydrodynamic force of the moving water seems to force the tip up (at least sometimes) reducing the effective toe weight. I think this is one aspect of anchor design that could be studied more. It would be helpful to have an anchor design where water pressure forced the toe down if the anchor was moving ie dragging it would be nice to get more pressure on the tip not less. Danforth and convex plow anchors seem particularly poor in this regard
  • Learn how long your anchor takes to set. If it is taking longer something is wrong with the substrate or debris etc. The Delta can take a very long distance to set which makes this judgment harder, but it still should have been obvious there was a problem.
  • The depth used for the scope measurement should be taken where the anchor is located. If your anchor takes a long distance to set the depth may not be the same as the spot where you dropped.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:05   #2451

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Could I be mistaken but it looks like their anchor float/buoy/tripping line isn't helping matters there. It appears to have a fair amount of tension on it but that could be an artefact of the anchor dragging rapidly through the water.

You'd be surprised at how many boats we see going several dozen meters backwards, into deeper water, in anchorages and often at quite rapid speeds who then wonder why they drag. Or worse who then think they are set. The only thing worse are those that drop all their chain while going forwards then just stop then wonder why they drag or swing into someone when the wind changes. Muppets.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:48   #2452

Boat: no boat any more

"...but I am in the minority..."
most unfortunately also in your general attitude that anchoring in general is among the most important things while crusing...most unfortunate!!! (I don't care about the boats of the "chuck-in-the-hook-in-&-hop-in-the-dink-&-leave" fraternity - but they are andangering other people's boats!!!)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:53   #2453

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I love watching anchors set. It is a great way to assess anchor performance.
I'm waiting for the day when you solo drop your Mantus whilst SWL is in the water documenting the whole process
Old 10-08-2016, 02:20   #2454

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We did one a few years ago. It is amazing to see it gradually "snuggle" its way under the sand without otherwise moving. I should download it in a higher quality version. It was recorded in HD but YouTube seems to have downloaded it in a very low resolution format.

Edit this is a little better:

https://Vimeo.com/178320321
Old 10-08-2016, 02:20   #2455

This is yesterdays anchorage. A grassy bottom and the Vulcan dug in nice and quickly. I backed down at 2500rpm or so and it held fine.

Later in the day I guy (could be Finnish) who owned a motor boat on a mooring ball came up to all yachts anchored warning about the evening conditions where the wind swung to the west and picks up resulting in yachts dragging. After sunset a second guy came up to me as I was closest to the lee shore and also near the other guy motor boat. By this time the wind had swung 45 degrees.

I dropped another 10m of chain taking me to 6 or 7 to 1 and backed up again. This time it felt like I wasn't digging in. Maybe it was the darkness making judgement harder and I gave up whilst I was still taking up the slack, but I decided to abandon the anchorage. I decided to move to an anchorage that was only a short distance away but a 5 mile motor around an island to get to it. So in the dark I anchored 0.37 nm away. No lee shore until Crete so I could sleep soundly with the anchor alarms

I guess that with the grassy surface there is perhaps only a small difference between being dug in and dragging fast? A bit like divots on a golf course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8671.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	129289

Name:	IMG_8675.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	129290

Name:	IMG_8677.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	129291

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8608.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old 10-08-2016, 07:51   #2456

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This was the finish point of the Delta in post #2450:

Old 10-08-2016, 08:11   #2457

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

It appears that not very many anchors you dive on use shackles or a chain interval before their swivel attaches to the anchor.

Have you found any anchors which could have failed under those circumstances?
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:09   #2458

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

yes, pics have been posted of a few
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:19   #2459

I spent the day lazy onboard after my night time relocation. Then in the late afternoon I grabbed my camera and went for a swim. When I got to the bow and looked at the chain I saw the horror of all horrors, a massive but clenching moment

The sight was so bad that rather than taking a photo, I immediately followed the chain to see what horrors awaited me. Thankfully there was nothing really bad further on. On my return to the boat I took some quick snaps as I was not in the mood to make an effort with the photos.

This is what held me last night..

no big deal

This could cause a problem

OMG I think I'm going to die

Overnight the wind stayed in one direction and if I had left by lunch time there would have been no issues I think. Later I swung around a few times and it ended like this.

A lot of different scenarios went through my head during the swim back to the boat.....
Old 10-08-2016, 09:39   #2460

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

That's a convincer for all chain rode.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra