Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 17:22   #286

Re: Photos of Anchors Setting.

noelex,
What do your neighbors think you and your Mermaid are doing by constantly diving around their anchors? Or does the sight of the Mermaid so captivate their attention that little thought is given to why you might be favoring them with your presence?
ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:03   #287

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryNumber View Post
noelex,
What do your neighbors think you and your Mermaid are doing by constantly diving around their anchors?
Surprisingly there have been no objections .

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:09   #288
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Noël ex. Are they free diving fins ? I just bought some scuba fins but wondering if I should change them for bigger ones. Ire they noticibly better for diving ?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:10   #289

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I think the idea is to increase the angle of attack of the tip, making it dig in at a more aggressive angle.... [snip]
That all sounds about right. Its a pity that the only Mantus that will fit my bow is much too light for comfort.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:54   #290

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Noël ex. Are they free diving fins ?
I am no free diving expert. About 12m is my limit which is pretty pitiful in the free diving world. I did find the transition from scuba diving fins to the longer more efficient free diving fins was a help. There are, however, a bit cumbersome when diving under the boat cleaning the bottom etc. For general boat use smaller fins are probably a better compromise, but if you want to dive deeper for longer then the much bigger area and leverage from free diving fins are the way to go.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:56   #291

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
That all sounds about right. Its a pity that the only Mantus that will fit my bow is much too light for comfort.
Production boats often have a bow roller that has been designed for a small Delta or similar. The Delta only has a small blade area for its weight so switching to a more modern design with a larger blade area does mean there can be fitting problems, especially if you increase the weight of the anchor as well.

The Mantus has a long thin blade which combined with a large fluke area and a wide roll bar is a big departure from the Delta. Check the sizing carefully. Mantus and Rocna have a full sized printable template (anybody know of other manufacturers that do this?), which can be used to make your own cardboard anchor to check the fit. I would strongly recomend doing this rather than assuming the anchor will fit.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:13   #292

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Allright, now you're just braggin'
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:48   #293

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Production boats often have a bow roller that has been designed for a small Delta or similar. The Delta only has a small blade area for its weight so switching to a more modern design with a larger blade area does mean there can be fitting problems, especially if you increase the weight of the anchor as well.

The Mantus has a long thin blade which combined with a large fluke area and a wide roll bar is a big departure from the Delta. Check the sizing carefully. Mantus and Rocna have a full sized printable template (anybody know of other manufacturers that do this?), which can be used to make your own cardboard anchor to check the fit. I would strongly recomend doing this rather than assuming the anchor will fit.
Well, I'm on a 51 ft cat with all the room in the world yet it can only accommodate a 22in. wide anchor due to the roller placement. I could move the roller but that would involve welding aluminum and 22in is still a pretty big hook.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 15:18   #294

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another anchorage and another great set. The Mantus is setting very consistently with only minor differences.

Once again is has set remarkably quickly and well. It has not quite rotated level and a small amount of the fluke is visible on one side, but it has dived rather than piling up sand.

I let out a longer scope this time. A bit more wind is forecast in the next few days (30-35knots). There are unlikely to be any other boats in this spot and there is loads of swing room, so there is no sense in not using a lot of chain. Anchors set better with a longer scope, but too long and some of the setting force is absorbed by the drag of the chain reducing the force at the anchor.

This was the result in 6m @ 8:1

Old 03-07-2014, 15:29   #295

To be honest I wouldn't call that a great set. It's hardly covered the flukes. Yes the Mantus is ok. But I've seen no evidence that it any better than most others
At least you should keep " the playing field level " with similar sets with the others you have kindly shown.
If it doesn't drag in the predicted winds then it's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 16:52   #296
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Noël ex. Are they free diving fins ? I just bought some scuba fins but wondering if I should change them for bigger ones. Ire they noticibly better for diving ?
Fins, I didn't see any fins
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 17:53   #297

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well I spoke too soon. Another boat did enter the anchorage it was a large cat (A Lagoon 620) that anchored a long distance away, but a similar distance from the beach in what looks like the same sort of sand. I did not see the drop, but my mermaid snorkelled over for some photos.

This was the result. 6.5m @ 6:1. It is just starting to set, but looking at the drag marks it has been given very little force. The drag mark is only a metre and the Spade needs a bit longer than this to set well.

If you only use a small setting force, this is what your anchor looks like.

There is a bit more wind forecast so hopefully we can check the result again after a bit more more force

Old 03-07-2014, 19:33   #298

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

noelex:

Just wanted to say thank you, again, to both you and your lovely mermaid. I'm finding the pictures of the sets and the comments extremely interesting.

Ann
Old 03-07-2014, 21:03   #299

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There has been about 25-30 knots of wind. After a long time observing the Rocna I have found that is about the transition wind strength where the anchor will just start to set deeper than I can achieve under engine power alone.
This was the result:
You can see the Mantus has just started to bury deeper, with both the fluke and shank just a bit more covered. It has barely moved back at all doing this.

Old 03-07-2014, 21:04   #300

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Next the Spade:
This has also now set very nicely. The fluke is probably a little more buried than the Mantus (but the Spade fluke is smaller). It has taken a much longer distance to set than the Mantus and there is more heaping up of sand rather than just the fluke digging down, but both anchors are doing a great job. A bit more wind is expected yet and hopefully this boat will hang around for a comparison.

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra