Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 07:57   #331

Re: Photos of Anchors Setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Pictures of a 45kg Ultra in weed. Set using 2000rpms reverse.
Hi Kenomac,

Thats a very good post which makes a very good contribution.

What scope do you have?

Is it possible to pull again at 2800rpm (I think thats about 70% power) and take photos.

and then again at 3600 which is around full power and take some photos.

This would provide 3 sets at very different rev ranges.

We would be able to see clearly how the anchor is reacting.

I would pull at 3600 using 7:1 scope if possible.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:27   #332
cruiser

We've needed to set the anchor four times already today for reasons related to spacing between boats and the rocks; my wife will kill me if I end up pulling this one out and needing to do it again.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll get the pictures you'd like. At 2000rpm, our 25 ton boat would normally be able to do 7 knots. I'm not sure what that works out to in force.... but I'm pretty sure we won't be draggin' tonight. When I set the anchor there was a 20 knot wind along with the force I applied using the engine.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:06   #333

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Pardon my ignorance, I am not familiar with Ultra anchors, but it appears to me that you barely have the tip of the anchor imbedded here. Is this before you backed down on it, or am I just not seeing this correctly?
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 13:18   #334
cruiser

It's a hard weed bottom, the anchor is well dug in 2/3 of the way into a very hard bottom, roots & possibly gravel etc. The Ultra like any anchor will only go in just so far if it meets hard resistance. Scope is 90ft of chain to 15ft depth. Please note... we're not in soft sand.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 13:31   #335

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Understood. After seeing the series of buried anchors, stock and all, from Noelex, it was hard to tell.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 15:32   #336
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Thanks Wotname.

We often swim together and take turns using the camera with each duck dive so its not really obvious who took which photos, but my mermaid has a much better eye for what makes a good photo so all the good ones are likely to be hers.
Of course, silly me; I should have known that
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 18:21   #337

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK, we all know this is an excellent thread but have you noticed how the quality of the photos just keep on improving. I thought they were excellent a couple of posts back but really, these ones are better again
How far can this go?????

And is it the mermaid or the master taking the best ones?
getting down on to the bottom with the anchor will give the best photos.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:03   #338

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Well, I promised to give the Mantus a good test.

After the very strong wind a few days ago, the Mantus was buried deeply. This was the result on retrieval .

You can see the shank has bent about 15 degrees.

The anchor had dived a long way down in moderately hard sand and took a lot of breaking out. More than I have experienced with any other normally set anchor, even in similar conditions. This is a great indication of the holding power and short scope performance.

There was quite a bit of wave action in the anchorage so it was difficult to break the anchor out with a nice steady force. Combined with the deep burial, the shock loading from the waves undoubtedly contributed to the bend.

As most people are aware, Mantus have upgraded the strength of the shank to 690 MPa steel (almost 2.5x as strong) and offered a free replacement. Mine is the older mild steel shank. I will fit one of the new HT shanks and give that the torture test.

noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:23   #339

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Another plus to bolt together anchors besides stowage; you can replace parts without grinding and welding. Now if I could only squeeze one on my bowsprit.

Great job Noelex. This is always a must see thread.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:24   #340

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Wow! There is one guy on the CF anchor threads that deserves a lot of apologies! JonJon, or something like that.

I don't think 690Mpa is going to make high tensile, but I don't really know where that starts - generally 850 was considered this by Rocna and others.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:49   #341

I don't think this a great anchor at all. It really overdid the bury, bent the shaft and is now pretty well useless.
I would stick to a anchor that has a good solid history of not failing, as did the Chinese Rocna and now the Mantus, and set it correctly, I'm sure there are many others that will physically do this on the bottom and not just in print.
What I see here is a anchor that should have never found its way onto a boat

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:54   #342

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Thanks for posting your openness and honesty regarding all anchors. It is a great value to the community.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:09   #343

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

There is little objective evidence to indicate how a bent anchor will perform. Presumably the anchor manufacturers have some idea, but there are conflicting messages of the effect of a bent shank.

Rocna have been quoted suggesting that even a minor change in geometry will cause problems. On the other hand, Rex from Anchor Right claimed even severely bent Sarca anchors performed extremely well. I can't recall any information from other manufacturers.

I have a bent CQR sitting in my locker, but the performance of an unbent CQR in hard sand is poor anyway, so it is difficult to determine the contribution the bend has made. On the few occasions I have deployed it, it did not seem to make any discernible difference.

I thought I would try and find out for myself how the Mantus performed.

This was the result in 6.5m @ 5:1.
The Mantus has set very well! It held full reverse on the first drop as it has on every occasion so far. The setting distance is very short and the fluke has almost completely buried. Rather than heaping up the sand, the blade has dived down.

There is a moderate degree of list. The Mantus has set and rotated very level up to now and it is likely that this list is attributable to the bend in the shank. However, many anchor models routinely set with this sort of list, or worse, and overall this is still much better than I see from most (unbent) anchor models.

Obviously this is one example so don't draw too many conclusions. There is no guarantee that with a different type of bend, or different make of anchor the results would be as good. There may be also be other effects such as reducing the anchor's ability to remain set and buried with different wind directions.

Anyway I found it an interesting result. I hope you do as well.

noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:10   #344

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I will fit one of the new HT shanks and give that the torture test.
I forgot to thank you for your postings.

I wouldn't consider any of the conditions or bottoms I have seen you anchor in on this thread close to being a torture test for an anchor. This result, in sand, is pretty eye-opening.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:15   #345

Thanks for sharing.

Your posts look like you received this anchor in April or May of this year. According to the Mantus website all anchors shipped since last December were supposed to have HT shanks.

Why wouldn't this be a HT one / what makes you sure you have an older one?
SV Lift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra