Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 19-08-2014, 04:46   #691

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting.

A powerboat entered our bay about an hour ago. They zoomed through the anchorage at about 25 knots, obviously keen to make an impression on the topless girls on the beach.

They briefly stopped, dropped a stainless steel claw and proceeded to back also at breakneck speed. This anchorage is quite rocky and the anchor must have jammed between some rocks. There was an almighty bang.

The anchor looked more than a little a worse for wear with the shank and one fluke twisted. I suspect the windlass was not very happy either.

5 mins after arriving they were gone.

Some bent anchors are operator error.

noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 05:12   #692

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
And some are divine retribution !!

Honestly morons like that deserve it; fancy tearing through an anchorage at 25kts, kicking up a massive wake and disturbing the peace with the roar of their engines. My guess is the vessel was owned by a merchant banker, bought with his massive bonus and without any idea how to actually use it.

Still it made me chuckle when I saw the pic of the aftermath

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 06:07   #693

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
A powerboat entered our bay about an hour ago. They zoomed through the anchorage at about 25 knots, obviously keen to make an impression on the topless girls on the beach.
Did he leave with any of the girls?
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 06:46   #694

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Did he leave with any of the girls?
I don't think they were impressed with his staying power.
Old 19-08-2014, 06:47   #695

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Still at the same anchorage, here is a Kobra.

It was dropped by a charter boat. The wind was blowing 20+ knots and the boat came to a nice abrupt stop as the chain clutch was tightened. It was set at a short scope of 3:1 in 7m of water.

Diving showed what had happened. The toe had snagged on a rock, just underneath the sand.
This set is not the Kobra's fault. No anchor can penetrate rock.

However, there is an important message in this photo. This was set with quite a lot of force and was holding the boat without dragging. It does not take much imagination to see the wind changing slightly and the toe disengaging from the rock. With a totally unset anchor in rocky ground the resultant drag would likely have been quite rapid.

There is little defence against this sort of situation apart from snorkelling to view your anchor. An anchor set like this could hold full reverse forever without ever giving an indication that the set was very poor.

Note this the same anchorage that my Mantus is shown is lovely soft sand. In fact, the anchors were only a few boat lengths away.

Use the best anchor you can get with the best technique, but don't think anchoring is ever foolproof. Please set an anchor alarm.

Old 19-08-2014, 06:53   #696
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
And some are divine retribution !!

:

Keiron

wanchors...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 13:36   #697

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:

They briefly stopped, dropped a stainless steel claw and proceeded to back also at breakneck speed. This anchorage is quite rocky and the anchor must have jammed between some rocks. There was an almighty bang.

The anchor looked more than a little a worse for wear with the shank and one fluke twisted. I suspect the windlass was not very happy either.

Nice story, good photos, extremely happy ending

But.... why the pics of the girls on the beach are missing???
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 19:17   #698

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
I don't think they were impressed with his staying power.
LOL.....:-)

Thanks for the great thread! Way better than reading a book!
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 01:31   #699

Boat: FP Orana 44

Fantastic thread. Just gone through all 47 pages.

I'm new to cruising so I need to improve my anchoring skills. Getting a better understanding what is happening down there, showing all the photos, has really educated me in theory. I now feel much better equipped to build hands on experience.

I now need to upgrade my anchor. Boat came with a 16Kg delta, clearly undersized for a 44 foot catamaran. Main challenge is that the gennaker foundation prevents any roll-bar anchor. Was thinking bigger Delta but not so sure now. Keeping an eye on the wallet, the Spade seems to be the only new-gen alternative available in Europe. Looking at it positive, life is sometimes easier with not too many options.
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 02:08   #700
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail IC View Post
the Spade seems to be the only new-gen alternative available in Europe. .
Sarca (Excel) should ship there no problem. And Mantus apparently work okay without the roll bar so that be an option as well, but maybe talk to greg at MAntus - see what he thinks?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 02:11   #701
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:

What was interesting was that the swivel seemed to have survived, I wondered if it might have let go first, but from your photo it looks okay? But it might have looked different in reality? did you notice it at all? I would wonder how reliable it might be in the future?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 02:33   #702

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
What was interesting was that the swivel seemed to have survived, I wondered if it might have let go first, but from your photo it looks okay? But it might have looked different in reality? did you notice it at all? I would wonder how reliable it might be in the future?
Given the damage to the anchor itself I would be getting the whole system checked and replaced from the bitter end through the windlass to the anchor itself and getting the mountings inspected for damage.

To bend an anchor shaft that size that much you have got to be putting a huge load through the entire system and only a fool would risk using any part of it again without inspection.

Mind you the way they came in and dropped suggests "fools"

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 02:43   #703

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail IC View Post
Keeping an eye on the wallet, the Spade seems to be the only new-gen alternative available in Europe.
Really?

If you were in the UK, for example:

* several chandleries (eg Jimmy Green) stock Rocna anchors.

* a phone call will get you a Knox Anchor. See Contact & ordering - Knox Anchors - The top performing New Generation Anchor for safe and secure anchoring

And a fat wallet should find an Ultra anchor (but they are best displayed on the bow in pairs). See Golden Arrow Marine ~ Ultra Marine

Al
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 09:40   #704

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Really?

If you were in the UK, for example:

* several chandleries (eg Jimmy Green) stock Rocna anchors.

* a phone call will get you a Knox Anchor. See Contact & ordering - Knox Anchors - The top performing New Generation Anchor for safe and secure anchoring

And a fat wallet should find an Ultra anchor (but they are best displayed on the bow in pairs). See Golden Arrow Marine ~ Ultra Marine

Al
He said no roll bar. That leaves Manson Boss, Spade, Ultra, Sarca Excel. Anchors are really expensive to ship anywhere yourself, so the Boss and Excel are only possible if they happen to be carried by a European distributor. Ultra is very expensive. Easy choice seems to be the Spade. It's supposed to be a great anchor and will do much better than a Delta.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 11:24   #705

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
The bang was very loud. They came to an abrupt stop. I would not be surprised if the chain, windlass, bow roller and swivel were damaged, but it was too far away to tell.

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra