Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 06:55   #781
cruiser

Re: Photos of Anchors Setting.

The Gopro is dead. I'm very disgusted with the company, five days no response from them.... It's being returned.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 15:32   #782

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Kenomac,

Sorry about the GoPro, and that you have not heard from them. Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 26-08-2014, 19:14   #783

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Thumbs up Re: Photos of Anchors Setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
No, sorry I don't. I bought the camera only recently and have posted a photo of every anchor that I have seen since.

I have actually only seen one Northill anchor underwater. It was in very thick weed in Croatia and doing a good job. The Northill is basically an attempt to combine the advantages of the Fisherman with a slightly bigger fluke area.

Many of Turkish gullets around here use a Fisherman anchor. These are frequently home made and it's not unusual to see the traditional Fisherman's pattern modified to give a slightly bigger fluke area. This is usually with just a larger flat triangular plate on the tip. This is not a Northill, but I am sure I will get some photos of anchors like this soon, which might give some sort of clue.
Hi,
And my apologies for not earlier thanking you for all of the work & pics. It's surely nice to see such a HUGE contribution to the forum... gratis no less.
That and I'm a touch jealous that you get such GR8 spots to swim all the time. Time to get my heine gear & get to doing the same.

I'll be curious to see the pics which you mention you plan on taking, and thanks in advance for snapping them.
Sounds as if we're on the same page when it comes to the design(s) of the anchor(s) which I mentioned/in question.

Likely it hasn't changed all that much in so long as it's a good utilitarian design, as long as one's not in a spot which is subject to big shifts in winds, & or currents. That and it does a semi-decent job of penetrating weeds & other junk under moderate loads to keep you where you "parked". Just wish the one I have was a touch bigger... but maybe down the road a piece.

Good luck snagging some PREMIUM breakfast, & or other meals on your photo expeditions
Andy
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 19:51   #784

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Hi,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck snagging some PREMIUM breakfast, & or other meals on your photo expeditions
Andy
Not likely in a med anchorage.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 00:29   #785

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The Gopro is dead. I'm very disgusted with the company, five days no response from them.... It's being returned.
Ken,

Have you contacted the retailer you bought it from? I know in the UK the first place you should speak to regarding a fault is the retailer who would then expediate things to the manufacturer if required. Under the "Sales of Goods Act" you have the right to return any good that is "Not fit for purpose" no matter how long any warranty or retailers return policy.

Given it was sold as waterproof and in your case wasn't I would class that as "not fit for purpose" particularly if you can show it was due to a faulty seal or poorly designed clasp.

If you have no joy with the retailer then you can take it further by going to the manufacturer direct and if nothing else works posting a comment of FB or Twitter complaining about it and the lack of service apparently has a wonderous effect, not that I have ever tried those routes personally.

Hope you have some success from them

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 00:41   #786
cruiser

Keiron,

I purchased the Gopro while on a cruise ship last spring. I have no doubt that the cruise ship line will honor a return, it's just that I'm presently in Sardinia, so taking it back to them is difficult. So that's why I contacted the manufacturer direct. But looking on line, it doesn't appear hopeful that Gopro customer service will do anything... Even a return email.

So when I get back to the states late next week, I'll try contacting the cruise line and a local retailer to see what can be done. I will get satisfaction on this, as it was their case which broke via no fault of mine. We have the same consumer protection laws in the US.

When I look online regarding the problem I'm having, it seems that 80-90 percent of the Gopro customers are thrilled with the product, as I was... Until it failed. Then I became one of the 10-20 percent experiencing this headache, while everyone in the cheerleader squad... who's still happy, points to "it must have been operator error... Because mine is fine, I love it." I was in the same situation after purchasing a Toyota Previa many years ago and again with a Honda Civic 15 years ago. Irritating, because most companies don't act this way.

Thanks for your concern,

Ken
Old 27-08-2014, 02:32   #787

Quote:
Keiron,

I purchased the Gopro while on a cruise ship last spring. I have no doubt that the cruise ship line will honor a return, it's just that I'm presently in Sardinia, so taking it back to them is difficult. So that's why I contacted the manufacturer direct. But looking on line, it doesn't appear hopeful that Gopro customer service will do anything... Even a return email.

So when I get back to the states late next week, I'll try contacting the cruise line and a local retailer to see what can be done. I will get satisfaction on this, as it was their case which broke via no fault of mine. We have the same consumer protection laws in the US.

When I look online regarding the problem I'm having, it seems that 80-90 percent of the Gopro customers are thrilled with the product, as I was... Until it failed. Then I became one of the 10-20 percent experiencing this headache, while everyone in the cheerleader squad... who's still happy, points to "it must have been operator error... Because mine is fine, I love it." I was in the same situation after purchasing a Toyota Previa many years ago and again with a Honda Civic 15 years ago. Irritating, because most companies don't act this way.

Thanks for your concern,

Ken
I would not hold out too much hope. As the market leader they seen to just put out another model and forget about the 10-20% having issues. Some companies in this modern consumer world consider products expendible and hope you buy another. Plus make it difficult for a real customer service person to be contacted.

Another pet personal dislike of GP (& other companies) is having to download a manual in somewhat confusing geek speak. For my generation anyway.

I also have a GOPro and it has been OK so far but have not used it much.

Any camera even expensive dedicated underwater ones still need great care and diligance with underwater housings to check and double check. Don't rush. Particually the GO Pro with its short battery life with my model means the housing is always being undone and done up. Might get away without due care above water but not underwater.

Dust , sand and o-rings are the bane of all underwater housings. Also washing with fresh water to get rid of salt crystals.

Ken, not saying this was the issue but something any person taking up using an underwater camera needs to be particular about.

Good luck. I am considering purchasing a cheaper one ( not GP) that I can consider more expendible than the GP Black I currently have.

Kogan Full HD Action Camera - Black Edition | Action Cameras | Cameras |

Cheers and good luck with GP>
Old 27-08-2014, 03:06   #788
cruiser

On mine it's the black closing latch on top that cracked along the microscopic catch when I closed it to dive on my anchor. which then allowed water in due to uneven pressure against the case back. After I close the case, it's impossible to see the crack and chip missing. I have all the other attachments and goodies, so I'm kind of committed with over a $1000 investment in Gopro stuff. LCD, extra battery pack, filters, several dive housings, lighting etc.

I've also noticed that the dive housings I had used for several dives have a much stronger, beefier black catch. It's when I switched back to the original case that came with the camera in order to use a red filter... the one I'd also used on many dives prior, that the latch broke... It's much less hardy looking than the newer cases. Things one wouldn't notice until flooding occurs.
Old 27-08-2014, 03:27   #789

Quote:
On mine it's the black closing latch on top that cracked along the microscopic catch when I closed it to dive on my anchor. which then allowed water in due to uneven pressure against the case back. After I close the case, it's impossible to see the crack and chip missing. I have all the other attachments and goodies, so I'm kind of committed with over a $1000 investment in Gopro stuff. LCD, extra battery pack, filters, several dive housings, lighting etc.

Ken,

I got that it was the housing clip and my comments were more general for others heading underwater to their anchors.

I also have some $700 invested with LCD extra battery pac etc but I always thought of it as a fill in and backup until I get actually cruising and get something better. Your experience means I won't use my LCD underwater to reduce risk. Found with my early Nikonos still film camera and even Amphico viveo housing didn't take much practice that you didn't use screen (poor screens) anyway. Unless close ups with wide lenses one just looked around and pointed in the right direction without afferting you peripheral vision allowing you to capture better wildlife. No anchors don't move I know but I guess you system is for wider use.

I am sorry that I didn't go with the Kogan for a more throw away route. GP have the great marketing and do a job but similar to you I don't like their ethics. They are more a consumer throwaway than professional or quality underwater system. Great Advertising and marketing case study. Unfortunately hearing of yours and other issues I could not now recommend the full GP system. With what I know get the cheaper GP not the expensive Black.

The Sony RX100 and great Al Nauticam housing will give reasonably professional results without going to Full SLR housing an great cost. The beauty of the digital convergence means we get high Q video and stills in one package. I consider the GP something I can attach to the Nauticam for backup not the system. Can the lighting system you have be used perhaps on other systems?

http://www.backscatter.com/learn/art...cle.php?ID=158

The people that sold me my bulletproof AMPHICO Al housing and sony Hi8 system at the time (some 25-28yrs ago) suggests they are very capable and hard to beat unless you have another $5000.

Anyone want a perfectly good AMPHICO housing.

Cheers.
Old 27-08-2014, 05:00   #790

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Another anchorage.

The Mantus held our standard setting procedure of full reverse for thirty seconds. There was also a 20 wind which added to the force. However, diving showed the set was not very good. The Mantus had not dragged anywhere, in fact it had set very quickly in only a foot or so, but despite the full reverse it had not penetrated very deeply:

With my mermaid taking photos in the water I tried applying more reverse. This time full reverse for a further minute. The Mantus held without moving an inch, but also not penetrating any deeper.

For those that believe in the benefits of chain catanery have a look at the chain angle here. This was taken while full reverse was applied. Strong wind will exert more force than this. 6m @ 5:1:

The most likely reason for this sort of set is rock under the sand. Sometimes it is just an isolated boulder, but more commonly in this part of the world it is a thin covering of sand over a layer of smooth rock. Of course no anchor can penetrate the rock layer. The only hope is that the anchor can get enough grip on the thin layer of sand to hold the required wind, or setting force.

Despite passing our setting test, it is prudent to re anchor with these sort of results. Photos of the second drop to follow.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 05:06   #791
cruiser

Noelex,

You must be close, the pictures look like the anchorage I'm at, I recognize the bottom. Give me a shout if you're in Sardega.
Old 27-08-2014, 05:28   #792

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Give me a shout if you're in Sardega.
I would be over with my camera to see the Ultra, but its about a 1000 Nm swim
Old 27-08-2014, 05:46   #793

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This was the second drop.

I thought this was a good opportunity to test the weed performance of the Mantus.

New generation anchors are very versatile working well in large range of substrates. Weed is the most common exception to this rule, so weed performance is very important.

As you can see, the Mantus has done a great job. It has cut through the weed and dug into the substrate below. It has rotated level and set quickly. Bear in mind this is an oversized anchor. Larger anchors tend to do a little better in weed than an identical design in a smaller model.

This is the great result. The Mantus looks totally untroubled by the weed.
(Ignore the puffs of sand. The anchor is not dragging. The photo was taken just after the set before the sand had a chance to settle).

Old 27-08-2014, 07:57   #794

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

This thread is wonderful and of great value. Actually seeing the results of different anchoring methods and gear on the bottom is the best anchoring education I've seen or read anywhere. Can we keep this thread just for this topic? The GoPro discussion is also valid but perhaps in a different thread?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 08:05   #795

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I went for a dive this afternoon to do a little investigation.

This was the location of the first drop where the Mantus held, but did not dig in very deeply.

I had a poke around with an old 12inch hacksaw blade and as I suspected, there was a large area of rock under the sand where the tip was. The second photo shows the maximum depth I could push in the hacksaw blade, with a sudden impenetrable stop at this depth.

Rather than a very large area of thin sand over sheet rock, it appeared to be an isolated area, but moderately large. It extended over a couple of metres or so. I suspect there was a large boulder (or buried pirate treasure) just under the sand.

This is the exact spot:

This is as far as I could push the blade in:

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra